Forum

Author   Comment  
maggiecrazyjack

Reply with quote  #1 
Vivace has a on and off problem with loose stools. We do know what is causing this and are working on the issue.  A good drop it or leave it when she tries to eat things other than what she should have. Plus teaching my youngest son not to feed her people food.  

I was told that pumpkin was good to help with this but I'm not sure how much I should give her.  She is about 55 lbs.   Does anyone know about this or a better solution. I did pick up pure pumpkin not the stuff that has spices mixed with it. 

hammy123

Reply with quote  #2 

So sorry to hear they are unwell!How long has she had these symptoms?I wouldn't like to recommend the pumpkin as it is a laxative therefore only needed when the stools are dry and hard.x

maggiecrazyjack

Reply with quote  #3 
She hasn't had this for long. It has been on and off since we got her almost a month ago. We did change her diet a lot from what she was getting. It was garbage kibble and we only feed high quality.  So we do know part of the loose stool was from that.  Also she tends to try and eat everything that she really shouldn't.  I think that had a huge factor.  Today her stools were much better as we have been watching her like a hawk.
CharleeJLZ

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi, I was just wondering what breed Vivace is and how old she is?
Any change in diet will cause the digestive system to become inflammed etc, this is why a small amount of blood can sometimes be seen in stools, but your right the change from her old food to new nice food your giving her may have been one of the reasons her stools were bad. how long has she been on her nice food youv bought her?
Your doing the right thing to make sure you keep an eye on her human food intake, if she eats this, again the change in diet can do the same as the change from her old food to new. Unfortunatly some breeds of dogs and young dogs are like hoovers and its impossible to keep an eye on it all the time. youv got other things to do :)
The main thing is to make sure she does not have an upset tummy for too long, dehydration can kick in and it will make her poorly. A light diet of chicken and rice can help settle down the intestines etc and vets also provide a similar meat/tinned food but if you want to keep costs down that can definatly help. vegetables like pumpkin can cause an upset tummy. wow im wittering arnt i :D hehe. It sounds like your doing all the right things, its just a worry, and of course a real pain to try and pick up in public! xx hope thats a tiny bit helpful. xx give her lots of cuddles from me!
maggiecrazyjack

Reply with quote  #5 
We seem to have the loose stools under control now.  Vivace is a 15 month old GSP.  It turns out that it was the change in diet She also cannot have any people food at all. It messes with her digestive system and she will have loose stools a little bit but it is more gas now than anything.  We did give up on the pumpkin as it did not help.  But rather used rice. It worked like  a charm.
CharleeJLZ

Reply with quote  #6 
arrh fantastic. One of my kittens seems to have a digestive sensitivity so if u give her cat meat or human food shes on the litter tray looking very concerned. Very pleased for your lil baby and good work on sorting it out. so many people wouldnt think to. I continue to wish you good health and happiness throughout the years!! xx
judylinn

Reply with quote  #7 
Vivace!! what a name., as a musician, I love it. My lab maddie has gastro problems. I went to a holistic vet, and they recommended pure pumpkin for binding the stools as well. they said 1/2 cup for maddie..100 lbs. but I would try her on a bit to see if she can handle it.
I dealt with this problems for many years, right since maddie was a puppy. the holistic vet, got it right in a short time. she said, alot of animals are allergic to wheat and corn, which is the mainstay in alot of pet foods. They recommended Innova...evo...chicken based, but no wheat and corn, and chemicals......this  stopped the diahrea, stopped the throwing up, and she became much healthier gastro wise.
even the medi'cal from the vets at $93 a bag here in canada...was full of wheat and corn.  took her off that and she got much better.  Judy
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.