csl4774
We took our 5 month old terrier to our vet Tuesday evening, she was not acting right and started screaming when picked up. Our vet did x-rays and labs. She found that there was an obstruction in her intestines and we needed to take her to the ER immediately for surgery. We went straight there and our vet actually called ahead. We arrived around 7p.m. They hooked her up to an I.V. and wanted to do another set of x-rays even tho they had the originals we brought with us. After a couple of hours we asked what was going on and they informed us they wanted to run more tests that they didn't know what was wrong with her yet. We asked about the obstruction and all the vet kept saying was that he didn't know yet. They told us to go home and that they were going to do an ultrasound and for us to come back in the morning. We showed up at 7a.m. to find that the ultrasound had not been done yet. They did it while we waited and came in to tell us she would need surgery. I told the vet we knew all this last night and that we were not being told anything different. By now it was 9a.m., it had been 14 hours, they told us to go back home and they would call when surgery was over. We live 10 minutes from the ER, as we walked in our house we received a call that our baby had died. I went to pick her up and I questioned why they didn't do the surgery last night when we came in. The vet proceeds to tell me that she was not the vet from last night and had no idea why he didn't do it. I took her home, our regular vet called to check on us and couldn't understand why the surgery hadn't been done and if it had she would have been fine. I know when you loose someone you always want to blame yourself or someone else, but in this case we feel like the vet was completely to blame for not doing the surgery. I know we can't bring her back, but we feel like he should be accountable for not doing his job.
Chris lighthill
Quote 0 0
camunki
i AM SO sorry for the loss of your terrier........and only 5 months old, that is a lil; baby!! I would write a letter to the vet at the ER and find out what happened and insist that they get back to you. Even though writing to the vet will not bring your baby back, but may give you some closure on what the vets truly thought was wrong.

Cam

Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
chris I am so sorry to hear what happened to your 5 month old terrier baby.  your story angers me so much since you were informed by your regular vet Tuesday night to take her to the emergency vet since she had an obstruction and needed surgery.  the emergency vet had the original xrays showing that obstruction so obviously they decided something different and that something different came down to negligence (oh gosh I hate saying that word but I can think of no other to use).  the fact that your little baby suffered all that extra time and the surgery (which you were instructed to take her there for) still was not done by 9am the next morning....heinous.  if I were you I would get her vet records from the emergency vet showing what they thought was wrong (obviously they had no clue since they pretty much told you more tests had to be done and that "he didn't know" when asked about the obstruction - the reason you were advised by your regular vet to take her to their care).  once you get the records of the emergency vet treatment of your baby show them to your regular vet because while it won't bring that little soul back to you...I think you have a lawsuit against the emergency vet in this case since your regular vet clearly saw the obstruction so you kind of have to hold emergency vets to an even slightly higher standard of care even (at least you would think, right).  the fact that your regular vet made the statement to you that had the surgery been done when she arrived tells me he may even stand as a witness for you.  again I am so sorry to hear a soul so young left due to a human's ineptness.  many many hugs, thoughts and prayers to you
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
csl4774
We appreciate the replies, we know we can't bring her back. We are just lost and not sure what all we can do. We just don't want this to happen to anyone else. We have actually filed a complaint with the state veterinary board for negligence. Our regular vet is helping us as much as possible and is actually contacting the board also. Thanks again.
Chris lighthill
Quote 0 0
Beaglemomma
Darn!!!!!!  Nothing about this situation is right.  I am glad to hear that you reported them.  Usually emergency Vets are fantastic, but you can have problems with ANY DR I think these days and what happened to you is beyond excusable.  I am so sorry this happened to you and it is especially awful since your baby was so young.   I would urge you to stay on this to prevent anyone else from a similar experience.  That might be ALL that gives meaning to your loss.
janice
Quote 0 0
LUCYLULU
Oh this is so unbearable...especially because it sounds like it could be have been prevented. I think reporting this was an important step to hopefully make them accountable for the loss of your baby. Sometimes there are mistakes. Vets are human too. And sometimes there are mistakes that could have or should have been avoided. This is not to make you sad-- but i understand.

My first dog Sam Dog (Samantha a smart, beautiful Golden Retriever) had almost the same issue @ almost the same age. My vet at the time-- called that morning to the large animal hospital nearby.  I drove directly to it. They operated on Sam dog the same day-- that evening. She lived for another 6 1/2 years. Then @ 7 years old, I brought her to our vet's office-- we moved so it was a different vet. Sam's vet was on vacation. Sam seemed off-- not much eating/drinking & lethargic. Met w/the substitute vet. She told me that she 'didn't really think it was anything serious' & just 'to keep an eye on her for a few days'. She died the following night-- in her sleep. 

What's my point? As you know-- suing won't bring your baby back. I feel so extremely sad for you guys. From all that you said, she may have been OK if the ER vet had operated. Or not-- but you don't know.  If they weren't equipped to handle it, they should have told you/your vet. That's the tragedy. Someone may have dropped the ball. In my case, I know how fortunate I was that the surgery worked. Losing Sam Dog years later was very tough. But losing your baby @ 6 months-- unbearable, heartbreaking pain.

I hope that by reporting to the State Board, you may at least get an explanation or some information as to 'why' they delayed. Otherwise you will never know. If your tragic loss prevents this ER vet from doing this to another pet...and/or helps the practice to review all of their procedures etc., it may help someone else.

After Sam, I vowed to never get another dog. I waited almost 8 years. Too long. Then looking @ newspaper ads, I found out that Sam's original breeder was breeding Wheatens. Lucy rocked my world for over 14 years. I miss her every minute of every day. Yet I am already thinking of getting another dog-- hopefully a rescue. I hope that in time, you will be able to give your love to another dog. Right now, we are all feeling your devastating pain & loss.  Hugs, KC

Quote 0 0