Forum

Author   Comment  
carmensandiego

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,
My almost 15 yr old (in a couple of weeks) was just diagnosed with a massive tumor on her liver.

She had been eating less and her water increased drastically. Then she started to pee while she was asleep. Wasn't cognitive of it at all. Took her in and after the ultrasound, they confirmed it. The tumor is pressing on her stomach so it diminishes her appetite. 

She also is falling, losing her footing. This morning she fell and couldn't get up, she eventually did and we help her. When I take her out to go potty, I make sure to stay close by.

Her vet has been nothing short of awesome but of course there is no timeline-that's up to us. 

At what point do we know? It's such a fine line of taking them too soon or waiting too long. She doesn't appear to be in pain but she's a tough cookie. 

Any advice or experience please let me know. I know all our furbabies are different, but if I have a range of ideas on what your experiences are, I'd appreciate it. 

Thank you

CK1991

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello and I’m so very sorry that you and your pet are going through this. There is a saying: “ better a week early than a day too late.” Our pets can not tell us when they are in pain or that their lives have just become too difficult. Quality of life is so important. From everything you’ve described it sounds like your girl’s quality of life is severely diminished and at worst she may be in pain. My vet was also good but didn’t advise me either. I had to be the one to ask about euthanasia because I simply loved my pets too much to ever let them suffer.
I’m so sorry to be saying this. I know it rips out your heart to have to be the one to say it’s time. I also know you would like an honest reply. When you say she’s a tough cookie she may be stoic but she may well be suffering given the diagnosis and the symptoms you are seeing now. You don’t want that for her. If it were my decision I would give her the most wonderful day and then take her to your vet and help her to find peace. I know how hard it is. Would you please post an update? If you do decide it’s time this is a wonderful place for support. Again, I’m so, so sorry. Hugs to you!
CK
carmensandiego

Reply with quote  #3 

Thank you for your kind words and reassuring what we thought we knew. This morning, our 5 yr old lab mix pounced on us several times until we woke up. Literally jumping off the bed and running where Sami sleeps. I thought they were playing as she had a good afternoon yesterday.

We awoke to her having a seizure. We immediately got her situated got dressed and took her to the ER. That was the time. She was ready. My husband and I knew, when we went nose to nose with her and she didn't lick us, she was done. We said our goodbyes and stayed with her as she slept. 

I felt so bad for the doctor on call, he was telling us Sami was his 3rd that night they had to let go and he was about to tell the other couple their puppy was sick too. I dropped off flowers this morning to thank the staff for their compassion and guidance. 

My little girl is running chasing birds and barking at the wind. She'll be nipping at people's heels to keep them in line. 

Now I am keeping a careful eye on my other dog as he is the one that found her. 

TheJackal300

Reply with quote  #4 
I am sorry that this has come upon your little girl. I have been though this tough decision too many times lately but your little girl trusts you and believes in you. She knows you will do what you think is best for her. You know her best of all and you will know when she has gone as far as she can.
CK1991

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Sami’s mom, My deepest sympathy on your loss of your sweet Sami! Even if you know that it’s time it doesn’t make it any easier to have to say good bye. I think you’re wise to keep an eye on your other dog as it must have been so traumatic for him. I agree that Sami is running and playing now; tumour gone and healthy and happy. She’s watching over you all though as the love is what will never leave. I hope you post again to let us know how you’re doing. Hugs to you and again so sorry!!
CK
carmensandiego

Reply with quote  #6 

Now that I've had a couple of days to digest everything, I really thought I was ok with it, and I'm still 100% sure we did the right thing, but at night is when it really hits me the hardest. I've cried myself to sleep since she left us. 

I still haven't taken out her stuff, my other pup Leo is very clingy and today is the first day he is home alone. Between us and the kids, we are checking on him. 

He sleeps a lot more and is less "bouncy" (he should have been named Tigger) and I worry. But his appetite shows otherwise. I'll keep an eye on him and make sure to keep showering extra attention and walks. I just want to make sure I don't miss the signs if he is very sad. 

One moment of happiness was a Facebook memory from 6 yrs ago that suddenly popped up of my Sami girl. She was younger and SMILING.(See memory photo below) I truly feel that memory popped up to say "hey mom, I'm so happy-look at me."

Thank you everyone, for the kind words. It truly sucks losing your fur-baby. They are not pets. They are our hearts. Unconditionally. 
Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 10.22.02 AM.png 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.