Forum

Author   Comment  
Candrew

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello

I am new to this site an am in extreme distress and don’t have time to read thru posts hoping to find what I need so I am hoping someone can help.
My 10 year old cat Kaz was diagnosed with liver cancer yesterday it’s inoperable and chemo may prolong his life but it would not be much of a life.
I am trying to figure out what to do do I do the kind thing and have him put down today or is there another option for me.
Up until four days ago (been in hospital 2) he was eating. He started throwing up four days ago he kept breakfast down but threw dinner up. Then day took him in he simply would not eat and was not moving around much. It came on so quickly.
So now two days later I’m told his liver is covered in masses we all know it’s cancer but they are doing a liver test to confirm. The vet already said surgery is not option no viable liver left.
Chemo may prolong but I have watched numerous family members on chemo yes they live but longer but no standard life and I watched my father beg to die.
I don’t want this for Kaz. I’m I’n tears just writing this but wanted to see if there was an alternative.
Read something on Pet Well-being Gold for Cats does anyone have info on this linked to liver cancer.
Does anyone have any other suggestion.
He has to be able to eat if I bring him home and he has to be able to have some sort life.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Claire

Reply with quote  #2 
Claire I wish I could help you in some way. You already know your biggest struggle will be getting him to eat. Otherwise he will slowly starve. They can give him an appetite stimulant, injection at the hospital but it would be pills at home. Can you pill him? I agree with you about the chemo, at his stage of this disease I can’t see putting him through it. After you make your decisions, smother him with love, offer him whatever the vet suggests to eat.and ask if you can feed him whatever he’d like. Savor every moment, many hugs,,,,,

Reply with quote  #3 
Claire, I wish I'd seen your post sooner. I think from everything you said you already know the answer deep in your heart. You don't want him to suffer like your dad. His liver is covered in masses so one had to wonder how effective any treatment would be at this such a terrible decision to have to make and it can feel like you've given up on Kas if you decide not to prolong his suffering. If he hasn't been eating Claire and has been vomiting I would think he may be in pain and doesn't want to live this way anymore. Maybe you've already made your decision. I feel so bad for you. Please do post an update. Hugs to you!
CK
Candrew

Reply with quote  #4 
Just wanted to give an update. Kaz is home with me and is now on blood clotting medicine to help stop the bleed from the masses on his liver. HE is not in any PAIN and he is eating again and has even started cuddling and cleaning his brother again. I started him on Life Gold Cat Cancer Support and he’s eating more than he really should right now.
My cat does not look like he has cancer up until the hospital visit he had eaten and had lost no weight or muscle tone. He lost weight over the four days he was in hospital as he refused to eat but as soon as I got him home I was able to reverse this.
He goes back into the hospital in two weeks for another ultrasound of the liver.
The only good news I got was that the masses covering his liver are full of blood not cancerous cells the Dr says based and everything they can see the cat has cancer but they are at a loss as to why he looks so good.
So for now I’m treating him with natural remedies along with the blood clotting medicine and hoping that we make it to Christmas.
Please know I would never allow an animal to suffer I could never be that selfish but I will also not allow Kaz to be put down if he’s not in pain and appears happy which he does right now.
I am open to any suggestions for helping to keep his immune system up being an indoor cat he shouldn’t be exposed to that much.
Thanks to those that reached out.

Kaz and Claire

Reply with quote  #5 
No, I got that you were open to suggestions but not at his expense. Eating that well?! Awesome! Ya most pets don’t thrive in the hospital as necessary as it is but you and he seem to have the at home stuff going pretty good. I know you’re aware of this but I’d feel I still have to say how important it is to do your best to make sure his entire abdomen is treated with care. My living dog had her spleen removed a few months back because of tumors. The biggest fear was one of them rupturing prior to surgery either spontaneously or through trauma as simple as picking her up (she’s a lrg breed) I know the spleen has less protection than the liver by the rib cage but still.
For his next ultrasound it will be as an outpatient right? When mine was having them done they encouraged owner participation, being there to calm her with our presence touch and voice. Maybe they’d be open to that as well,,,,,

Reply with quote  #6 
CBD oil from boulder holistic vet. com would help. I used the well being and lung support from wellness pet. I also bought CBD oil but it got delivered on the 9/16th and my baby died on 9/13 so I returned it. Pain management is very important. Buprenorphine made her miserable so I opted out for holistic, alternative methods. Also, I made her organic bone broth which I fed her with a syringe and made her homemade, balanced raw food which I finger fed her for 3 months as she stopped eating and drinking. Curcumin, ubiquinol, Dr. Mercola's kidney/ liver support, enzymes, probiotics and krill oil extended my baby's life too.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.