kimg1600

I’m really struggling and don’t know where else to ‘talk’.

My mini dachshund was put to sleep in 2017. She was 15. I neglected her dental hygiene, maybe just ignorance. She had most of her teeth removed and didn’t recover well.  She did have a wonderful life though and I’m blessed to have had her for that long.

A few months ago I decided that I was finally ready to adopt. I went to a Humane Society in a different county and adopted a dog.  They did not tell me that he had already been surrendered three times for biting. He bit me three times. The last punctured my hand between the knuckles.  I had no choice but to take him back. The worst experience possible. They insisted that they informed me and were very judgmental and rude.

Anyway, earlier this week I adopted a 7 year old Jack Russell mix from animal control. “Dot”  She had been left in a kennel at some random guys house. She was so scared and timid. I was happy to give her a safe and pampered life. Within six hours she was lost. I put her down and dropped the lead and off she went. I chased her in my robe and slippers for about half a mile. She’d stop and look but then run again. It was 1:30am and a guy walking told me he saw her run under an overpass.

She ran around a very large church/school for days. I spent about 12 hours of the next 3 days searching for her.  It was so hot and humid. I don’t know how she survived

Yesterday I got a call that she was dead on the side of a parkway after being hit by a car. Its my fault for bringing so much misery in her last four days.  I didn’t ‘rescue’ her and give her a better life!  I made it so much worse. I just don’t know how to reconcile this.

Thanks for reading my post. I doubt anything will make me feel better about this. I picked her up, put her in a box and took her to an emergency vet to have her cremated. I think I owed her a proper ending.

Quote 0 1
Runningman66
I’m sorry to be blunt and straight to the point and while I sympathise with your loss or should I say losses in your case but if you say you neglected your Dachshund’s teeth which I’m sure would have been extremely painful for him especially with him losing them all then you lose a dog which subsequently dies who must have been so frightened roaming the streets alone you should in my honest opinion give up owning a dog for a very long time.Sometimes it’s better to be brutally honest with the truth.
Runningman
Quote 1 0
kimg1600
EVERYONE PLEASE READ this nasty response!!!  This person should be banned from this website!!!!!
Quote 0 1
Runningman66
kimg1600 wrote:
EVERYONE PLEASE READ this nasty response!!!  This person should be banned from this website!!!!!
Why should I be banned?For speaking my opinion.You never heard of free speech.I’ve just lost a dog and when I read posts like this about animals being neglected and lost resulting in their deaths it makes my blood boil.If you can’t take care and look after your animals you shouldn’t have them in the first place.
Quote 1 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear kimg1600,

First off, I'm sorry for what your beloved went through and for your two experiences with your recent adoptions. And the loss of Dot. It's very obvious how much you tried to give a home to the two you intended to adopt in your writing and how hard you have been on yourself. 

As you know, a dog living to the age of 15 is remarkable. ANY dog. They are biologically engineered to only live a maximum of around 10 years, both in the wild and on the streets, and that is if no natural predators are around. We extend their lives by providing them with a home (with safety from predators and the natural elements), regular food and fresh water, medical treatment at the Vet's and love and nurturing (which is important for overall wellbeing.) If you read this forum there are countless examples of dogs dying at 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, 7 and 10 years old. So your dog living to 15 is impressive.

When it comes to dental hygiene? it's actually a very unusual area of Vet science. As most people do not and will not brush their pets teeth at home. For one reason, many pets will not tolerate brushing. And to take them into the Vet for them to have their teeth cleaned every six months is important, but many people do not do that whom I have known. There seems to be a learning curve when it comes to teeth and our pets.

When we are old our teeth do tend to age severely. And when our pets are as old as 15 years? They are already considered very old. They are very elderly seniors. Teeth are a problem for our pets the same way they are for us humans. That is just a sad fact.

My current rescue cat already has a dental disease and he is only 1 year 2 months old. I am going to have his teeth cleaned every six months, but he has other health issues that have prevented that for the time being, which need to be addressed first. But the whole teeth cleaning issue is something I had to research and study. It's why there are foods that address cleaning our pets teeth on their packaging, as it is a difficult area to address. At times the pets need to be put under to have their teeth cleaned at the Vet's and that too can cause them great stress and anxiety.

My last cat had also had dental disease and did not handle having 4 of his teeth removed well at all. He was older and I felt we were running out of time to have the surgery conducted. I had adopted him when he was around 8 years old. It was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't situation." 

When it comes to a dog choosing to bite a parent, including an adoptive parent? Who is trying to provide them with a home? To me that is completely unacceptable. They totally cross the line when they do that. Attacking a human or another animal is just not okay. So nothing to feel guilty about especially if the dog drew blood. Again, not okay. Not your fault. 

When it comes to the dog running away and getting hit by a car? If you read this forum that happens ALL the time. Almost each week. And the truth is, again, that is not okay. If a dog chooses to run away from it's parent or adoptive parent? and place it's life at risk? whether due to having a rebellious nature, playing or being in fear? again, not okay. We live in a dangerous World, and taking risks and chances can and will quite often get you killed. Whether a pet or a human. Again, not your fault. 

There are posts here of dogs which were on a leash and slipped off on purpose. That lack of obedience and to be honest complete disrespect and disregard for their parent ended up tragically. But it was their choice to engage in that behavior.

The fact that you were willing to open your home up and adopt an animal in need? is admirable. As we know, there are millions of dogs put to sleep each year because they are not adopted. Accidents happen, things do wrong. At times tragic events we can't control.

I think it comes down to trying to find a balance when it comes to how to best take care of our beloved's. At times not enough medical care can be just as bad if not worse than too much. The forum is evidence of both. Reading this forum alone can help educate and inform us as to what to do, what to consider and what not to do. These posts can serve as warnings to each of us on how to be even more careful than we might be otherwise. So that is another important aspect of this forum. Again, we just need to try and find a balance. Which can be complicated as we all know.

Kind regards & my sincerest condolences for your losses,
James
Quote 0 0
roseblue1
kimg1600

As for Runningman66 being banned I do not think that is right...he has lost a precious dog that he truly loved and cared for and anyone reading his post can see that he adores animals...and his has answered your post to which he gave his opinion.

Ellen.
Ellen Hague
Quote 0 0
kimg1600

What an amazing person you are James. To the others there is no place in a ‘support group’ for people being hostile to others. 

I am a therapist and well aware of what the meaning is. Grieve your loss but don’t make anyone else here suffer from your words. 

Quote 0 1