Forum

Author   Comment  
misterpennymom

Reply with quote  #1 
Our sweet boy crossed the rainbow bridge on Sunday, Nov 17th. He was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive lymphoma just 6 days before he had a seizure at home. Got to the vet in 5 min but it was not recoverable. We are heartbroken. He was a daddy’s boy!

Part 1 -

Dearest Mister Penny,

You weren’t supposed to get into our house. You certainly weren’t supposed to get so deep into our hearts. We were eating in the sunroom as we often did when you showed up on our deck on September 12, 2012. You knocked on our door begging to come in. We didn’t know what to do. We’d never had a pet and weren’t ever looking to have a pet. But you were so pretty that we couldn’t say no.

Maybe it was a coincidence that we were eating salmon that night. Your future mommy simply couldn’t say no. She took a piece of her salmon out to you on the deck. You ate a bit and then left you outside. But that wasn’t acceptable to you! You pounded on the glass door in the sunroom, so we moved to the family room. You then followed us and started to pound on the kitchen door. We were forced to lower the blinds, turned off all the lights and sat quietly until you stopped. You stopped but you showed up the following evening around dinner time! We had nothing to offer so we gave you scrambled eggs. Again, you ate a bit, left you outside and the pounding started again! You were persistent which we came to learn is one of your many traits.

By the third day, your future mommy bought cat food just in case you came back for dinner and you did. We left you some food for the weekend before our weekend trip to the lake. When we got back, you were waiting for us on the deck. Your future mommy gave you a bowl of cat food but you were more interested with getting head scratches and head bumps. She was scared and didn’t know what to do. She had to call me, your future daddy, to rescue her. You didn’t want to be left alone which we learned is your second defining trait.

On Monday, September 17th, 2012, since we were still not letting a cat in the house, our good friend Barbara Young came over with a carrier to take you over to her house and put you in the foster and rescue program. You just walked in the carrier (last time that ever happened)! Barbara took you away and we were through with you. The story was over except future mommy missed you. She didn’t know what to do because she wasn’t sure your future daddy would be willing to take a pet in. So, she did her research, as she always does, about cats and cat ownerships and presented them to your future daddy. It worked!!! By Saturday morning, I was at the Hokies game so she drove by herself to Barbara’s house with a new carrier in her car. She missed the turn and ended up in the National Zoo with an empty animal carrier. She was very worried that the zoo officials would think she was there for a kidnapping. No worries, your future mommy didn’t get arrested. She got to Barbara’s house, got you in the carrier, and drove for 45 minutes to your new home.

The drive to your new home was scary for your mommy. She didn’t get lost this time but you meowed the whole way. You were so vocal in the car which we learned was another defining trait – we got a vocal cat! She wasn’t sure she did the right thing and, got scared. When you got home, she took you to the sunroom as we both decided it was the perfect room for you during the transition period. Your mommy told me that at first you just walked around checking out the room but then you sat on her lap for the first time. I remember your mommy’s excitement about getting a lap cat! It turns out that that statement was premature since you didn’t sit on anybody’s laps for months. For your first night in your new home, we closed you in the sunroom and went to bed wondering what we would find in the morning. When we came in the next day, we found a perfectly contended cat with shredded paper towel everywhere! It turns out that that roll of paper towel was the last thing you destroyed.

Love,
Daddy

Attached Images
png C3FF4878-758B-4D13-B02D-10A9C1FA154F.png (1.01 MB, 7 views)

Gmr

Reply with quote  #2 
Mister Penny is beautiful! They say our furbabies pick us not the other way around. He clearly picked you both. What a loving home he came to. So sorry for your loss.
misterpennymom

Reply with quote  #3 
Part 2

Dearest Mister Penny,

We spent the first week getting to know one another and, of course, you needed a name. Mommy had decided you were a girl, convinced Barbara Young that you were a girl, and no one told us otherwise, including the first vet that Barbara took you to. So, you were a girl! We needed help naming you so we decided to get our nieces help. Margaret insisted we named you Mittens, but you didn’t have mittens! We kept saying no. Veronica suggested different fruit names. We rejected them also. Veronica then suggested Penny since you were the color of a bright shiny penny. So, Penny it was. You were our sweet girl cat named Penny.

We had a nice week getting to know you and found a cat sitter that fed you twice a day while we were away. Everything was so easy so we decided to take off for the weekend shortly after you settled in. When we got back Sunday night, you clearly weren’t happy that we had been gone. Yes, another defining trait! We told Casey, your cat sitter, that we weren’t going to be leaving you for a while.

We spent the first six months, playing a lot and enjoying each other’s company mostly from a distance and struggling to get you to eat anything besides kibbles. We had settled into a nice little routine and decided to go out of town again. So we did. When we got back from our trip, your mommy sat down on the couch as normal and you jumped up on her lap and snuggled up on her chest. She was so happy and excited that she stayed up like that and didn’t go to bed. A few days later, you did the same with me and I didn’t go to bed either. We got our lap cat back and learned just how fulfilling it is to have a cat trust you enough to sit on your lap. Sitting with you on our laps became a highlight of every day.

Love,
Daddy

Attached Images
jpeg 42A5121A-9AB8-4D1C-837A-FB07E152E012.jpeg (339.08 KB, 6 views)

Memories_of_Marmalade

Reply with quote  #4 

Dear Misterpenny's Mom & Dad, 

I just wanted to write to you and tell you how much your letters to "Mr. Penny" really touched, moved and inspired me. They are so, so heartfelt and very, very tender. It is so obvious how much you loved, cherished and adored him. It is expressed in your writing. Thank you for sharing his and your story with us here on the Rainbow Bridge Grief Support forum. I am so glad that Mr. Penny came into your life when he did, that your paths crossed and you adopted him. When I read that he was going to be put up for adoption elsewhere and then you changed your mind and brought him back to your home was a wonderful moment! I was so relieved. 

Mr. Penny certainly was a handsome lad. Myself and numerous other members here on the forum have also recently lost our orange tabby cat;s. We also loved, cherished and adored our orange boys and 1 orange girl. We've been able to learn about each others lost loves, through various posts such as yours. So thank you again for sharing Mr. Penny's story with us. Now we know of Mr. Penny too and we will remember him!!

He seems like quite and character. As many orange cats are. My orange lad was named "Marmalade". He was also a stray (and possibly a feral cat) who refused to leave our back door when my path crossed with him in the high desert country of New Mexico 850 miles away from Los Angeles, where I had resided for many decades. I too fell in love with his personality and could not turn my back on him, so I took him with me back to L.A. when I left NM.  He was the great love of my life and I miss him terribly still. We were together for 4 1/2 years and he brought a lot of joy, smiles and laughter into my very difficult life.

I enjoyed seeing the photos you shared of Mr. Penny. You can easily see that he felt at home with you and felt like he was truly a part of a family. Thank you again for taking good care of Mr. Penny and providing him with a kind, loving, safe and compassionate home. All cats should be so fortunate and blessed.

Kind regards & my sincerest condolences,
James
misterpennymom

Reply with quote  #5 
Part 3

Nov 23, 2019

Dearest Mister Penny,

In May 2013, you coughed, and it changed everything. You had feline asthma.

On your 1st follow up asthma visit in June 2013, we met Vet #4 - Dr. Finlayson. She became your primary vet. During the visit she said, ‘Are you sure this is a girl cat?’. We said we didn’t know. Your Vet #1 thought you were a girl, so she withheld shots until we were sure you weren’t pregnant. Remember, you were found outside on our deck so who knows what kind of shenanigans you got yourself into! I hope you have forgiven us for checking for pregnancy signs during your first three (3) months with us. We didn’t enjoy checking your nipples to see if they were ‘pinking’ (they were white and tiny!). When we were 100% sure that weren’t pregnant, we took you to vet #2 who shaved you looking for a spay scar. Surprise, no scar! He also said that sometimes spay scars heal with no marks. So, Vet #2 advised us to wait and see if you go into heat before we proceed to the next step, which I supposed is to schedule you for a spaying procedure (egads!). Well, that did not happen because we had to take you to Vet #3 for your coughing attack. Vet #3 gets a pass as he only treated you for asthma symptoms and didn’t look.

Continuing our conversation with Dr. Finlayson, she said that most orange tabbies are males and most female cats aren’t as big as you. I guess you were big…how would we know that? So, she called two vet techs, held you with your legs spread out in a very undignified manner and declared ‘yes this is a male cat’. It changed everything, but also changed nothing. We loved you either way.

It was very weird to have your girl of eight months instantly turn into a boy. You didn’t seem confused but we sure were! Of course, you needed a new name. Penny is clearly a girl’s name. To avoid confusing you, we started with rhyming names: Benny, Kenny, Teddy. None of them worked; you weren’t any of them. We were at a loss until I suggested Mister Penny. We liked it but we had to go to the final arbiters, Margaret and Veronica. They LOVED Mister Penny. So, Mister Penny it was! That’s how you became Mister Penny, our super good boy! It took us some time to adjust but after a while it seemed like you had always been Mister Penny. Our super good boy, Mister Penny!

Love,
Daddy

Attached Images
jpeg 4EF8C987-DA3F-4F0F-8799-2A5C45EA4D45.jpeg (156.33 KB, 2 views)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.