Forum

Author   Comment  
BellaGirl

Reply with quote  #1 
Two nights ago i arrived home from work to let my dogs out. We had just started letting them out the garage door as it's become colder and we aren't using the patio. My dog Bella was older (15) and had trouble with stairs. Rather than waiting for me or me being fast enough to react she jumped down the three stairs and collapsed on my garage floor. She had a violent seizure and when she came to all she could do was howl and scream. My poor baby, my sweet girl who had never bared her teeth to anyone, my angel who was the first to wiggle her bum and give kisses was howling in pain in my arms. We rushed her to the vet and sedated her but determined due to her age and circumstances beforehand it was time to let her go. I could tell the seizure hurt her so bad. All I can think about is that I should've got to her in time. I should've made the decision earlier to let her go peacefully. I wanted her to have a special last day, with her favourite treats, presents, cuddles and calm goodbyes. This was far from that. It was traumatic and I felt her pain. I can't stop feeling this overwhelming guilt. I wish I had given her more time in the days leading up. I wish I got to her in time. I wish I was calmer when she had her seizure. I can't stop crying. I don't know how to know she is okay. Was her experience too traumatic and now she can't find peace? Is she confused? Is there somewhere she is? How do I know she's okay?
Sulasmom

Reply with quote  #2 
I am so sorry for your loss. I can relate to the trauma you experienced. My healthy and happy 2 and a half year old bernese mountain dog had a sudden seizure that her poor body could not recover from. She had never had one before and it was awful! We had to make the difficult decision to put her down unexpectedly.

All I can tell you is my own experience. I, too, worried that her traumatic passing kept her from resting in peace. About 2 weeks after she passed, I had a dream that I feel was a sign. It was so real! I dreamt I was in a clearing when a woman with a dog on a leash stepped out from the trees. When she saw me, the woman let the dog off leash. It was my Sula! And she was so happy to see me! She wad healthy an so happy! The woman approached me and said "She can't visit you in the real world, but she can come to you like this, when you are sleeping. We'll be back." And my dog smothered me in kisses and then turned and walked away happily with the woman.

My point is, keep your heart and your mind open. I believe your baby is at peace and will let you know in your own way.
Memories_of_Marmalade

Reply with quote  #3 

Dear Alana,

I am so very saddened to read of your loss of your beloved Bella and what she and you had to endure and experience.

As we all know, when human's age, they are always in danger of slip and falls, so much so, that Life Alert necklaces were introduced. Obviously when a dog reaches its senior years (or any animal for that matter) they can experience the same traumatic event. It is unfortunately a very sad part of life and becoming elderly.

As you may know, a dog in the wild has a lifespan of around 10 years. That is what the average dog is biologically designed and engineered to live for. With a cat it is 2 to 5 years in the wild. Just by our providing a pet with shelter (from the weather / elements), regular food and fresh water, love and affection (which is important for overall well being) and the occasional trip to the Vet's we can cheat nature, and death and extend our pets lifespans. So Bella lived much longer that she would have had you not provided a home with her when you did.

I am happy and relieved that for 15 glorious years, your pup experienced such adoration, affection, love and compassion and had a safe home to reside in. She was truly blessed.

My kindest regards and sincerest condolences,
James
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.