anang
First of all, my warmest thoughts to everyone here in this great community. 

I have read a number of posts from individuals who had traumatic experiences when it came time to have their pet put to sleep.

Although my Ana Ng died naturally on a Monday morning, I had actually scheduled for her to be euthanized later that morning in my home. She was 19 and a half years old and had rapidly declined to the point of being unresponsive during the previous 18 hours. The agency is named "Lap of Love". I don't work for them or have any affiliation, lol, so this is not some kind of weird advertisement for them. I promise. For a fee (which is several hundred dollars) a vet will come to your home and euthanize your pet, talk to you, give you time to grieve, and place your pet in a blanket and basket and take them for cremation. I am almost 100% positive that you can opt to keep your pet if you want to bury them yourselves. 

Although my Ana Ng died prior to my scheduled appointment with "Lap of Love", I still had the vet come out. She took a ceramic paw print of Ana Ng for me to keep and snipped a lock of her fur and put it in a box for me to keep.

Ana Ng, like most cats, hated the vet, and this was a positive option. I live in Florida, and I believe that they offer services throughout Florida and surrounding states. They may even be national. 

Much love to all grieving pet owners,
Katie
K. Unger
Quote 0 0
pannklaus
Thank you for providing this information.   I wish that I had known about it sooner.  Although we had a sensitive and caring vet, having to make that final trip to the vet and then taking the empty carrier home was difficult.  Our Lenny cat was asleep in his bed on his last day until it was time for his appointment.  It would have been much better for him if he could have just stayed in his bed and not had to go to the vet, who he hated, for a final time.  This information probably comes too late for many people here, but for some it may come in time to be helpful. 
Patsy
Quote 0 0
anang
Patsy,

I feel so fortunate for not having to take my Ana Ng to the vet. She didn't mind the vet himself (he's great) but no cat likes to to taken places.

I looked up the "Lap of Love" website this morning , and it is nation wide, with some states not included. They have a user friendly website under their name.

-Katie
K. Unger
Quote 0 0
Jan_H
I used Lap of Love for Jagger. I didn't want Jagger's last hour or so being a trip in the car to the vet's office. He hated the car and was scared at the vet's office.

I believe they are national. I'm in NY and I recommend them. It made a difficult time a little easier. I spoke to them more than once since I was having difficulty making that decision. They did not pressure me in any way. They do the paw print and the lock of fur. I declined the lock of fur because I didn't want him shaved any more than he had already been for the injection. You can bury your pet yourself or have him cremated, alone or with others. The vet mailed me a sympathy card after.

I do not work for Lap of Love and am not affiliated in any way. I can not imagine doing that every day. But I was glad that I found more than one vet in my area that does.
Quote 0 0
anang
Jan,

Much love to you and Jagger.

I agree that I could not imagine doing that job every day. The vets must encounter so many people with so much inconsolable grief.

I believe that some states do not offer such services. That seems so wrong to me. IMHO, at home euthanasia should be available to every pet owner.  
K. Unger
Quote 0 0