Breeayne
Tomorrow I have to put my sweet 15 year old collie mix to sleep. I can’t stop crying. She has been such a good friend and I’m feeling guilty and conflicted and like I’m just some awful pet parent who’s just throwing in the towel. The vet said her disease is progressive. There’s no medicine to help. I had to decide whether to watch her fade away or end her life painlessly. I chose the latter and I am struggling. I don’t know how to let go of her. I love her so much
Quote 0 0
CK1991
Breeyane, your dog is a beauty! You are very courageous for putting her needs first! My suggestion is to stay with her, pet her and tell her how much you love her and just let her go peacefully knowing she is loved and that you are right there with her. That's what I did for both of my dogs and it really helps when I look back now and know that I was there for them until the end. It's a very hard thing to do but you will be happy that you gave her a good life and when that awful time came (as it will for us all) that you were right there with her to give her comfort and peace.
Hugs to you!
CK
Quote 0 0
normsmom
Breeayne,

My heart breaks for you. 3 weeks ago I was in a similar place, and had to make the same terrible decision. It is normal to feel conflicted and uncertain, both before and after they pass. CK has given you wonderful advice. I stayed with Norm, stroked his fur, somehow found the strength not to cry too much and stay calm, and looking into my eyes filled with love for him was the last thing he saw as he passed peacefully. (Then I broke down and cried)

The alternative for him would have been more suffering and no hope of recovery. Although it was the hardest thing I have ever done, it was the kindest thing I could have done. I am so, so sorry you are going through this. You have many friends here who understand and are here to listen.

Quote 0 0
carmens_mom
Breeayne, I'm so very sorry that you have had to make such a difficult decision.  I had to make that decision a few months back with my sweet little Gigi and I truly understand all the doubts you are feeling.   Did I do everything I could, should I get a second opinion, maybe there's just one more medicine out there...The list of questions and self doubts were endless. 
But Breeayne,  I trusted our family vet implicitly and I knew when he told me it was time, it was time.  I couldn't live with myself knowing that her sweet little body was in pain and that there was nothing more that could be done.  So, we do the unthinkable because we love them and only want what's best for them.  For me, I knew I had to accept the pain of her physical absence so she wouldn't have to suffer the pain on this earth.  You sound like a remarkable pet momma and your little beautiful collie mix will forever be with you. 
My sincerest sympathies.
My warmest regards,  Carmen's and Gigi's mom - alicia
Quote 0 0
Breeayne
Thank you all for your kind words. Lainey passed peacefully in my arms tonight. My heart is broken and I’m stricken with grief. I don’t know how to let go. She was a sweet and kind dog and I’m so lucky I got to be her mom. I’m just so heartbroken. I’m thankful there is a place to express this immense pain. I understand that all of us have suffered a loss.
Quote 0 0
carmens_mom
You are in my prayers tonight.
My warmest regards,  Carmen's and Gigi's mom - alicia
Quote 0 0
normsmom
Oh Breeayne,

I am so very sorry for your loss of sweet Lainey. Know that you have made a selfless choice for her, and she was blessed to have you with her in her final moments. It will feel unbearable for awhile. Be kind to yourself during this difficult time. 

Quote 0 0
Breeayne
I have been so very distraught with the loss of my Lainey girl. I’ve been waking up crying and can’t get back to sleep. The grief seems almost overwhelming. I believe in signs and I truly believe Lainey is over the rainbow bridge. When I came home from work today, after a day of pouring rain and black skies the sun poked out over the trees and there was a rainbow. I live in Alaska so a rainbow and rain in December is unusual. I am going to believe that’s my Lainey girl telling me she’s over the rainbow bridge and is as young and free and happy as she ever was. She’s my guardian angel. It really gave me a sense of peace.
Quote 0 0