Peach
5 days ago, my 14 yo cat Sphinx was fine - She ate dinner and I gave her the regular last minute belly rubs as she sat on the cat tree before I left for work. 4 days ago, she stopped eating, then after another day of her not eating I took her to the vet. 
Several tests later, and I found out today she has leukemia. The vet said they could try a blood transfusion but that the prognosis was not good. At her age, I refuse to pursue treatment.

I've just come home from picking her up from the vet. I have her booked for euthanasia tomorrow at 4pm. So tonight is our last ladies night together.

My pretty little snowshoe girl will be joining her big brother Beck very soon at Rainbow Bridge. 

SPHINX2.jpg 
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened” ~ Anatole France
Quote 0 0
BojiPat
Peach,

First, I am so sorry you must say goodbye to Sphinx. I have a pretty good idea how you feel. I received similar devastating news about my beagle, Quinn, three years ago. I took him in for what I thought was a routine soft tissue injury, only to get the heartbreaking news he was unlikely to survive the weekend due to an aggressive cancer. I contacted my husband and we made arrangements to help him over the Bridge later that day.

May God grant you strength in the days to come. Remember we are all here for support. I hope you will be comforted by the happy memories you no doubt cherish. Most of all, know you are doing the right thing in letting Sphinx go so she doesn’t endure needless suffering. This is your final act of unconditional love. I wish you well as you help her transition to her heavenly home.

Pat, Quinn’s mom 🌈
You may visit Quinn's memorial at:
https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/QUINN004/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
Peach
Thank you for saying so. Love can be so painful, but I refuse to let her suffer. She suffered enough before I adopted her, someone had beaten her and she was all broken. I'm grateful she was able to learn to trust again. I ensured with the vet that I could be there when the time comes, I am not letting her take her last breath without me by her side.

Sorry for the loss of your Quinn.
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened” ~ Anatole France
Quote 0 0
BojiPat
Aww, thank you. I was fortunate enough to be with four of my kiddos when they crossed over. Although it was painful, I was at peace knowing they would no longer be in pain. You sound like a remarkable person who knows how important it is that our pets feel us when that sad time comes. I wish more had your strength. Take care and have a peaceful ladies’ night with your babe.
Pat, Quinn’s mom 🌈
Quote 1 0
Peach
Sphinx transitioned to the other side just a little over an hour ago. The euthanasia went smoothly (as such a thing can go). She is with her big brother now, and that gives me some peace.

We had a wonderful last night. I held her and stood on the patio and we watch the sun set - until she got too cold and wanted to go back inside. Then we laid in bed together. 

Before it was almost time to get up and get ready for her last appointment, I woke up and leaned over to her. She gave me kisses on my nose and lips. (She was my lil missus kisses)

I think she knew I was letting her go. 

Rest well Sphinx, my little baby girl. Until we meet again.
Quote 1 0
BojiPat
I have the greatest admiration for how you handled this, Peach. It sounds like your night together was loving and comforting for you both. Yes, she was likely tired and knew it was time to go. I’m glad the transition was smooth for her. She has earned her angel wings. Fly high, Sphinx. Fly so very high!
Pat, Quinn’s mom 🌈
Quote 1 0
Peach
It's been two months now. It's still hard to even think about her without tearing up. I really never expected to get hit so hard by her death, but I guess it makes sense when I really think about it.

Beck and I had a very good understanding, he was definitely my special little guy. When he was sick he understood what was happening and that I was trying to help. He really was a brilliant little man.

Cleo let me know she was tired. I adopted her at 17 knowing full well she was coming with me to live out her retirement years in my home. I made peace with that very quickly.

But Sphinx... she didn't understand why all of a sudden she was weak. Why all of a sudden she felt sick. She didn't understand that the vet was for her own good. She was just afraid. When she cried she sounded just like an infant. I will never forget that sound for as long as I live. 
I know I didn't have a choice but I think she thought that I would make her better, like all the times before, but instead I gave her a death sentence. I know 100% I made all the right choices, but my heart is still breaking for her.

Her life started off in tragedy and in ended pretty much the same. I'm just grateful she had the 13 years in between to feel safe, loved and happy.
20200527_052052.jpg
Quote 0 0
roseblue1
It has been two months almost since I lost my boy Monty who I rescued at 5 years old...I still shed a tear every day, I had Monty for 11 years and I know that he had a good life with us...we adored him...our home revolved around him.

Sphink was so lucky to have you as you gave her the beautiful life she deserved.

Really understand how you are feeling.

Ellen.
Ellen Hague
Quote 0 0
EmptyAndLost
I can really relate to how you are feeling. It has only been 2 weeks since I said goodbye to my sweet 15 year old kitty. Similar to your situation, she seemed fine and then I noticed she was breathing heavily. I took her to the ER and she was diagnosed with chylothorax. She had fluid around her lungs. I agreed to have it drained at that time, but they said that the fluid would keep coming back. The prognosis was not good and I couldn't imagine putting her through more procedures, especially because of her age and the fact that she was such a sensitive kitty. Just going in a car stressed her out very much, and I am sure the draining was terribly stressful and traumatic to her. I made the euthanasia decision like you did. I also think it was the right thing to do, but I feel so sad about it. She trusted me for all of those years, how could I do that to her? Sometimes I feel like I'm doing ok but when I think about it, I start feeling sick. It's an awful decision to have to make for an animal that you love so much.

I too am grateful for all of the wonderful years that I had with her, and I know she was so loved and happy. It does help to think of that.

Wishing comfort and strength for you.

- Jackie
Quote 0 0
Peach
roseblue1 wrote:
It has been two months almost since I lost my boy Monty who I rescued at 5 years old...I still shed a tear every day, I had Monty for 11 years and I know that he had a good life with us...we adored him...our home revolved around him.

Sphink was so lucky to have you as you gave her the beautiful life she deserved.

Really understand how you are feeling.

Ellen.

Thank you. I;m very sorry for your loss as well, and thank you for being a rescuer. I wish everyone would open their hearts and homes to rescues.

I can really relate to how you are feeling. It has only been 2 weeks since I said goodbye to my sweet 15 year old kitty. Similar to your situation, she seemed fine and then I noticed she was breathing heavily. I took her to the ER and she was diagnosed with chylothorax. She had fluid around her lungs. I agreed to have it drained at that time, but they said that the fluid would keep coming back. The prognosis was not good and I couldn't imagine putting her through more procedures, especially because of her age and the fact that she was such a sensitive kitty. Just going in a car stressed her out very much, and I am sure the draining was terribly stressful and traumatic to her. I made the euthanasia decision like you did. I also think it was the right thing to do, but I feel so sad about it. She trusted me for all of those years, how could I do that to her? Sometimes I feel like I'm doing ok but when I think about it, I start feeling sick. It's an awful decision to have to make for an animal that you love so much.

I too am grateful for all of the wonderful years that I had with her, and I know she was so loved and happy. It does help to think of that.

Wishing comfort and strength for you.

- Jackie
These things are so difficult. Like I've always said, the cost of love is the pain of loss, but it is worth it despite that pain. There is no love like that of an animal. I'm so sorry for your loss. 
Quote 1 0
Claudia90
I'm sorry to hear about your baby. I lost mine today to cancer as well. Though it was bone cancer located in her jaw. Terrible and brutal, it took her from the happy pretty kitty to a mess in just a week. Only treatment option was amputation of the jaw. She was 13, so there was really no point trying. 
Please know that this is best for her. Remember that she had a wonderful life with you as her caretaker, friend and mother. I hope you had the best ladies night and that her soul will rest peacefully waiting for your arrival all the while playing in the greenest fields, drinking the clearest water and playing with all our little ones. 
Bless her and yourself

The saddest moment is when the one who gave you the best memories,
Becomes a memory.

Quote 0 0
Peach
Claudia90 wrote:
I'm sorry to hear about your baby. I lost mine today to cancer as well. Though it was bone cancer located in her jaw. Terrible and brutal, it took her from the happy pretty kitty to a mess in just a week. Only treatment option was amputation of the jaw. She was 13, so there was really no point trying. 
Please know that this is best for her. Remember that she had a wonderful life with you as her caretaker, friend and mother. I hope you had the best ladies night and that her soul will rest peacefully waiting for your arrival all the while playing in the greenest fields, drinking the clearest water and playing with all our little ones. 
Bless her and yourself

We had a wonderful ladies' night. It makes me sad that the only time I got to hold her in my arms was on the last day of her life, she never let me otherwise. Whatever happened to her prior to being adopted by me traumatized her to the point of never wanting to be held. But she was a lapcat for sure and she would snuggle up to me when I was in bed. And she LOVED her belly rubs. I miss giving her last minute belly rubs before leaving for work. 

They leave such a hole in our lives when they leave us :(

I'm sorry for your loss too. Cancer is so ugly. Your girl was the same age as mine, I completely understand why you wouldn't want to do treatment. 13 is old for a cat, but not that old either. I'm sure like me, it was not an easy decision to make. 
Quote 0 0