lauren_C84
I recently lost my newborn kitten through tragic accident. My cat had never had kittens before so she wasn't very attentive like she should've been and this kitten was the only one my mama cat had. I was there for the labor and birth so I know for certain there was no others. Since the kitten was an only child he got lonely and cold VERY easily. Mama cat was here and there off and on. When she wasn't around I was caring for the little one. I carried him around in a fleece doll blanket of my daughter's and he slept against my chest happily. Most of my day was spent holding this little guy and making sure mama cat was taking care of him when they were together. Usually in the evenings mama cat comes back to the nursery area to sleep and to be with baby. So that's when I always put him back. Well apparently I shouldn't have this night because mama cat let him wander out of the room, down the hall, and into my daughter's room. I woke up the next morning frantically searching for him because I hadn't heard him in a while and I knew something was wrong. My daughter called me saying she found him. When I came into their room there he laid in the floor already gone. He froze to death. All I could to was drop and clutch his freezing, lifeless body against my chest in disbelief that this had happened. When I had just had him 7 or 8 hours before. I feel so very responsible for this very senseless death. I could have prevented it easily and the thought keeps rolling through my head "why didn't you get up and check on him during the night like always?!" I'm not sure why this has devastated me like it has but it has. All I can do is cry and ask why. The first day right after it happened I kept thinking he would wake up, that this wasn't real. That night when I went to sleep I dreamt of him and woke up several times thinking I heard him crying out like always. May 27th he would've been 3 weeks old. I hope this loss gets easier.
Quote 0 0
ebbsmom
Dreams can be our worst enemy.  You did what you could to save him.  
Love you to the moon and back....
Quote 0 0
lauren_C84
ebbsmom wrote:
Dreams can be our worst enemy.  You did what you could to save him.  

Thank you.
Quote 0 0
dalzelm
lauren_C84 wrote:
I recently lost my newborn kitten through tragic accident. My cat had never had kittens before so she wasn't very attentive like she should've been and this kitten was the only one my mama cat had. I was there for the labor and birth so I know for certain there was no others. Since the kitten was an only child he got lonely and cold VERY easily. Mama cat was here and there off and on. When she wasn't around I was caring for the little one. I carried him around in a fleece doll blanket of my daughter's and he slept against my chest happily. Most of my day was spent holding this little guy and making sure mama cat was taking care of him when they were together. Usually in the evenings mama cat comes back to the nursery area to sleep and to be with baby. So that's when I always put him back. Well apparently I shouldn't have this night because mama cat let him wander out of the room, down the hall, and into my daughter's room. I woke up the next morning frantically searching for him because I hadn't heard him in a while and I knew something was wrong. My daughter called me saying she found him. When I came into their room there he laid in the floor already gone. He froze to death. All I could to was drop and clutch his freezing, lifeless body against my chest in disbelief that this had happened. When I had just had him 7 or 8 hours before. I feel so very responsible for this very senseless death. I could have prevented it easily and the thought keeps rolling through my head "why didn't you get up and check on him during the night like always?!" I'm not sure why this has devastated me like it has but it has. All I can do is cry and ask why. The first day right after it happened I kept thinking he would wake up, that this wasn't real. That night when I went to sleep I dreamt of him and woke up several times thinking I heard him crying out like always. May 27th he would've been 3 weeks old. I hope this loss gets easier.
Quote 0 0
dalzelm
I lost my little girl of 17 1/2 years old. I know I cared for her the best I could but still am bothered....we love our little babies so much... we just do are best.
Quote 0 0
hmay1964
Stop blaming yourself. It's the worse most horrendous trap to be in. First off, you don't know why that kitten passed. It probably had a heart defect or something and was not meant to live past it's very early life. I don't think it froze to death. Stop prosecuting yourself. You loved that little kitten and you would never have done anything to hurt it. I just lost my 4-year old cat Vinny and I know the grief. It is gut wrenching. Be good to yourself. 
Quote 0 0