Forum

Author   Comment  
AP44

Reply with quote  #1 
After almost 16 years my two tabbies passed away. Marcello passed on Monday and Mariella passed on Tuesday. They both had thyroid, but it was under control. My sitter called me while my husband and I were in Aruba and said Marcello had collapsed and couldn’t use his back legs. He was taken to the vet and started suffering seizures. We couldn’t change our flight and we returned on Monday, heading straight over. We didn’t make it and Marcello passed alway. That same night my female cat had to be taken to the vet and she passed the following morning from kidney failure.

I am torturing myself because my regular vet says how odd it was that they both passed so suddenly and maybe it was toxins. My sitter suggested a necropsy, but I can’t subject their poor little bodies to that. In any case, it wouldn’t bring them back. We were so careful of their care and I am wrecking myself trying to think what we could have done.

My husband and I are just devastated. I don’t have kids and they were our family. The house feels so empty and I see signs of them everywhere still. I keep blaming myself and it’s the most awful feeling in the world......
Memories_of_Marmalade

Reply with quote  #2 

Dear Andrea,

I am so so sorry for your and your Husbands recent loss of Marcello and Mariella. You can easily tell in your post how much you both adored them.

As numerous posts here will attest to, quite often when one pet passes they other follows soon after. Not always, but it does happen. I think at times they are in synch with one another. It happens to human couples too.

This forum is filled with people who are experienced, knowledgeable, wise, kind, supportive, understanding and compassionate. They have all been a Godsend to me. I put my boy "Marmalade" ( an orange and white Tabby cat) down (who was around 11 to 12 years old we think) 5 months ago today. Please know that you and your Husband are not alone and Marcello and Mariella and all of us here are with you in spirit. 

Kind regards and my sincerest condolences,
James
AP44

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you so much. They were from the same litter and were together since they could fit in our palms. I think Mariella knew when Marty passed and she died of heartbreak. I truly believe that.
Becky1990

Reply with quote  #4 
Andrea,
I am so sorry for your loss of Marcello and Mariella. What beautiful names! You gave them a wonderful life together!! And your right, I wouldn't subject them to testing to find an answer. You know there was thyroid problem and kidney problems. My 19 year old cat passed 6 weeks ago and he died of kidney failure and his thyroid "was off the charts" when his bloodwork came back. He never needed medicine the year before for either one of his conditions.
Like James said, humans do that too. When my sister-in-law passed, her husband passed 2 weeks later. Heartbreak is real.
I can't imagine losing 2 at once and my heart aches for you. Even though they aren't brother and sister, I still have a 18 year old that was with him her whole life. It breaks my heart seeing her looking for him.
I can tell by your words that you loved them both dearly. Please keep writing here and let us know how you and your husband are doing. They are our furbabies and we understand the pain you are feeling. Big hugs. 💛
AP44

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks so much Becky. I’m sorry for your loss as well. I can imagine how upset and confused your other kitty must be. Marty and Mari (as we liked to call them) were such a unit, that I could hardly imagine one without the other. I always thought that it would be so hard if one passed and the other survived, and then what I was dreading so much actually happened. That connection between them was so beautiful and endearing to watch. They’d eat together, play together, fight together and get into all types of mischief, as siblings do.

Today was better and I’m starting to take some comfort in the happy memories, but I’m still crying a lot and feeling blue.

I keep thinking of saying goodbye to them at the vet. Unfortunately, we didn’t get to hold them as they passed and they were already gone when we got there. We did get to view them and hug them one last time and say thank you for the love and companionship. It was heartbreaking, but reflecting a bit, also a beautiful and sacred experience.

Today, they were cremated, which I didn’t attend (just couldn’t bear to watch it). I had them cremated together and also choose to commemorate them with paw prints, which we will get back with their ashes.
Becky1990

Reply with quote  #6 
Andrea,
Just stopping by to say you are in my prayers. I am glad to know that you are remembering the good times. Like I said it is 6 wks for me and I still cry some days. knowing he is at peace does help alittle. Take care of yourself.
Rosanne777

Reply with quote  #7 
Dear Ap44

You did nothing to harm your 
Cats.  God took them as to spare
them any more suffering.
AP44

Reply with quote  #8 
Becky and Roseanne,

Thanks for your kind words. The tears are never really far away. I go back and forth with what I could have done, but I know that’s not productive.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.