ghokaslm
On new years day my miniature poodle Shamus was very sick and I knew he wasn't going to make it much longer.  I got him when i was 16, left for college at 18 but he was always there for me.  My brother and I were never close so he was the one at my high school graduation, my prom, my college graduation, later on my wedding day and there when I brought my first child home.  But, now I knew it was coming to an end.  After I got married and was moving out my parents insisted on keeping him, but I only lived 10 minutes away and saw him almost everyday.  My mom called me on January 2nd and said she was at the vets, his kidney levels were too low and he wouldn't make it through the night.  She said she was saying goodbye and having the vet put him down.  I couldn't let him go through that alone.  I jumped in my car and drove to the vets.  I held him while he went peacefully.  Putting him to sleep was easy.  He was suffering so badly, but when the vet took him away and I realized that would be the last time I saw him - that's when I realized I couldn't handle it.  I've been a wreck ever since.  How am I going to go on.  When I walk into my parents house and he's not there to greet me it's so hard.  When I'm not balling my eyes out I feel a pain in my chest like I've never felt.  This is harder then loosing any other family member because him and I were so close.  Is there any ways that anyone knows how to move on and how to get over this loss.  Thank you for reading. 
Quote 0 0
sopsad

ghokasm,

You experienced exactly what my wife and I did in Nov. We lost our beautiful girl Sophie, an Old English Sheepdog, ten years old to kidney failure, on 17 Nov 09. We made the decision as we knelt with her on the floor. It was and is unimaginable pain. I stated on this Forum the same feeling as you have, that it was harder to lose Sophie than my parents.......it was a different state of mine or whatever, I don't know. Several friends on this Forum have said the same thing as you and I. They have comforted Gail and I in our pain and now we help you. This is what our vet read to us and Sophie before:

Sophie,

As we lay our hands upon you,

Before your final rest,

Our hearts surround to love you,

And thank you for your best.

Our home you watched and treasured,

Our lives you truly blessed.

Lessening now your burdens,

We tend your tired bones.

Let us be your pillow,

Then wings to take you home.

Listen for God’s calling,

Sweet promises of peace.

Old friend, leap to Heaven,

Suffering released!

It will get better………That’s what all these folks on this Forum has promised us, and slowly but slowly, the tears are being replaced by warm memories. There will always be tears, but it is slowly getting better. We’ve all been where you are and are still there…….It will get better.......Promise.

Mike

Quote 0 0
ghokaslm
what beautiful words.  I will save this forever.  Thank you so much
Lisa

Quote 0 0
tikidikidoo
Dear Lisa,
The only thing that will heal the pain of your loss is time. Our animal companions are so steadfast in their love and loyalty to us. They are a gift and at some point we have to let them go. They will never be forgotten. They will live on forever in our hearts and our memories. In time that will give you peace. I am very sorry for your loss. Believe me, I know just how you feel. Take care and talk to your beloved Shamus when you are feeling lost and alone. The love you shared will cross the boundries of death and you will feel him once again. Take care.
x tiki 
Quote 0 0
kathic
I am so sorry for your loss.  I, too, know just how you feel as I just lost my beloved Newby suddenly on Jan. 4th.  It is very difficult but the people here are very supportive and know what you and I are going through.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  Please know that you are not alone in your loss and I will be thinking of you.
Quote 0 0
tinahailey
Lisa
I lost my best freind 4 weeks ago he was with 24/7, there are good  days and bad days. I have a little area that I set with pictures framed and other things I lite candles now. I am not very good right but it does pass I have a peom for you too that I have in a frame next to him

I Am With You Still

I give you this thought to keep

I am with you still – do not weep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.

I am the diamond glints on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.

I am the gentle autumn’s rain.

When you awaken in the morning’s hush,

I am the swift uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circled flight.

I am the soft stars that shine at night,

Do not think of me as gone

I am with you still

In Each New Dawn……..
D.O.G.BLUE
Quote 0 0
Princess

First let me say how very sorry I am for your loss of your Shamus.  Your story is a story of a lifetime of love ...this is so wonderful that you got to share your life with Shamus. 
I know your heart is broken and it seems as though you will never feel happy again. 
I have loved and lost and work in senior rescue so I say this from experience, so many of us here have walked this road you walk..so many of us have felt the gut wrenching pain that only those of us who have loved and lost a furbaby can know...in your post you said it was harder than loosing any family member , you know I always felt this too and often felt guilty about feeling this way until a friend of mine who lost her daughter said to me one day...never feel that any loss is any less than another...to love and to loose is the biggest pain one can know.
One day you will be able to think of your Shamus and smile at the lives you had together, it takes time and with time our hurt never goes away but with time the memories of the happiness we shared on this side and the knowing we will be with our babies again when our journey is done will keep you. That golden cord that connects us will forever hold us together.
Hugs and continued prayers of healing

Debbie Princess, Kaizer & Maddie's mom

Quote 0 0
yoopernewsman
God bless you and Shamus.
We just lost our Millie three days ago (actually I am still counting the hours) - and my heart aches every second.
I guess its only time that will ease our pain.
I keep thinking of the millions of fun moments we shared - and yes it sometimes makes me cry - but I know that's part of the process.
Just wanted you to know that I share your grief, and God Bless Shamus for giving you all that love.
I have also posted two photos and a short obit on the wall over my TV - and use the TV (and my work on computer) to make my mind not constantly think about Millie.
Twice this morning I woke up and briefly looked for her (like for two seconds) - then realized that ten years of a loving habit and sleepy eyes can fool you.
I am using sci-fi channel and comedy movies to briefly take my mind off the grief.
Shamus and Millie are running and jumping in heaven - and can still feel our love.

ghokaslm wrote:
On new years day my miniature poodle Shamus was very sick and I knew he wasn't going to make it much longer.  I got him when i was 16, left for college at 18 but he was always there for me.  My brother and I were never close so he was the one at my high school graduation, my prom, my college graduation, later on my wedding day and there when I brought my first child home.  But, now I knew it was coming to an end.  After I got married and was moving out my parents insisted on keeping him, but I only lived 10 minutes away and saw him almost everyday.  My mom called me on January 2nd and said she was at the vets, his kidney levels were too low and he wouldn't make it through the night.  She said she was saying goodbye and having the vet put him down.  I couldn't let him go through that alone.  I jumped in my car and drove to the vets.  I held him while he went peacefully.  Putting him to sleep was easy.  He was suffering so badly, but when the vet took him away and I realized that would be the last time I saw him - that's when I realized I couldn't handle it.  I've been a wreck ever since.  How am I going to go on.  When I walk into my parents house and he's not there to greet me it's so hard.  When I'm not balling my eyes out I feel a pain in my chest like I've never felt.  This is harder then loosing any other family member because him and I were so close.  Is there any ways that anyone knows how to move on and how to get over this loss.  Thank you for reading. 
Quote 0 0