Owl Show full post »
Owl
Lauri,

I think that you're right. The first okay night's sleep that I've had in over a week combined with a "normal"-ish day at work seems to make everything feel alright again. I'm still crying at home without her around, but with more time to think about the good memories the time spent crying is less, and some of my old motivation is returning. I think there will still be some cloudy days ahead, but I think I see some light.

This is a quote that has helped me enormously as well:

"We find a place for what we lose. Although we know that after such a loss the acute stage of mourning will subside, we also know that we shall remain inconsolable and will never find a substitute. No matter what may fill the gap, even if it be filled completely, it nevertheless remains something else. And that is how it should be. It is the only way of perpetuating love which we do not want to relinquish."
-Letter from Sigmund Freud to Ludwig Binswanger, April 11, 1929

Quote 0 0
LauriP92
Owl-who knew Sigmund Freud would quote something we would be reading about our lost pets? It rings true though
Lauri 
Quote 0 0
Owl
I know what you mean, it's not what I would expect either, but we look for comfort anywhere that we can find it.
Quote 1 0
LauriP92
And just when I thought I couldn't cry anymore, I saw a picture of him and burst into tears. God give me strength to get through this
Lauri 
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
LauriP92:

Perfectly natural to react with tears when you saw that picture of your baby today. I started to cry today when one of my clients gave me a sympathy card. It really meant a lot that they would take the time to acknowledge my grief. I was really moved.
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Owl
Lauri,

I understand that feeling exactly. It's hard to see reminders of our friends. It's perfectly natural to let the tears flow, and I think letting it happen is part of grieving and starting to heal.
Quote 0 0
Owl
Another day, another crappy morning. I was myself again for a while at work but the tears started to flow as soon as I thought about going home again to an empty house. It's going to take a while for this to not be so painful, but small steps every day will help.
Quote 0 0
Bailey15
Owl,
Maddie was a beautiful girl and you shared such an amazing bond. It’s wonderful that you had her for 18 years. My dog, Bailey was almost 16 when we had to let him go because we didn’t want him to suffer. I admire that you did the same for Maddie even though it broke your heart ~ you put your sweet girl’s needs first!
I feel like we were lucky to have them for a long time but it also is so difficult to move forward when they’ve become such a part of our everyday lives, our hearts and souls.
This forum is such an amazing place filled with so many people whose hearts have been broken but who can sympathize with what you are going through and offer support.
I agree with BorderCollieLover and I would also recommend writing in a journal to Maddie.
Thank you for sharing the quote by Sigmund Freud. I think that it sums up perfectly how we all feel about losing our 4-legged family members!
I am so sorry for your loss.
MJ

Quote 0 0
Owl
MJ,

Thanks very much, today is much better. It feels odd that it's been less than a week and I'm starting to improve. I think that with the support that I've had combined with dealing with the emotions as they happened sped up the healing process. I'll always miss her greeting me at the door and sitting on my lap wanting attention, but I've had a much better time remembering the good times today.
Quote 0 0
exburt
Grieving isn't linear. You may feel better now, but tomorrow might be a different story.  Stick with the site. Post when you need to, and get the help you need. It'll get better over time.

At some point you may move on. I've continued to visit the site for quite a stretch. When I think I can be of some help, I try to do so. Losing a fur baby is so gut wrenching...

At some point, we all try to pay it forward to those in need. 

All the best... 
B Weinstein
Quote 0 0