Rosied
My Little 13 year old Chihuahua Mattie had heart failure,she was on Medications..if she got excited or started to cough or gag,she would pass out...She did have alot of good days I thought.....I would get up at least 3 times a night to let her out...on her last night  she was restless all night... the last time I let her out that morning,she never returned,,,we live in rural area on 5 acres,have looked all over for her... I cant stop blaming myself, I feel so responsible...everyone is telling me she did it her way,but I dont feel she would just leave me and go off...it is pure torture,we love her so much..I just cant stop looking for her,Am so full of guilt its unbearable...cant stop crying...I dont know what to do..it has been a week today...my poor baby I try to tell myself it was her time and she knew it...but I really dont know
Rosalie Dyer
Quote 0 0
silvermini3
Rosied, I am sorry about what has happened. Makes it difficult for closure I'm sure. I have heard this similar story from some over the years. Some were able to locate their pets, some not. But the ones that did said that when they found them (they had passed on), they were laying peacefully in what appeared to be a safe place. In the end, maybe she wanted it this way. Who knows for sure and we want to know but maybe she really wanted it this way. Even though domesticated, they have instincts that have carried through the generations from the wild. I read a book on animal pack behavior years ago and I remember one part that discussed how wolves who are sick and/or dying, will attempt to hide their illness or injury or will separate themselves from the pack, so as not to endanger it. Pets today are masters at hiding their pain, until they can no longer. That's why it blows some of us away when we find out what is wrong with them. You did nothing wrong, you let your dog out as usual and she wandered off, possibly due to the fact that she knew her time here was coming to an end. But I'm sorry that she wasn't with you. My dog Beau, during his last week would turn his back to me when I got down on the floor and tried to comfort him. He had never done this in the time I had him. Was he protecting his abdominal region (cancer), was he starting to separate from me, I'll never know. But they were once wild animals and with that comes innate behaviors. Her's could be one of them. I have heard countless stories of human's waiting until they're alone to pass on. Again, who knows, but there is something to be said when it happens time and time again.
Quote 0 0
Rosied
Thank you so much...She was our world...Iam almost 80 years old and Ive wondered if she sensed that it was taking a tole on me..I think for the last year I have tsken her out at least 3 times a night... and that last night she was restless all night long...she was on medications,but not sure they were really that effective.She passed out 6 times in the last few months..she would cough or get excited and just pass out, I knew she was suffocating.that was so heart renching...and then in a day or so she would rally, and have good days.. no matter what happend.I want to believe God took it out of my hands...and it was her time...I just wanted her to lay beside me at the end..shes in Gods hand now, and that is comforting...Iam so sorry about your dog Beau...I never realized before how heart renching this could be , Mattie is the only dog I have had for 50 years
Rosalie Dyer
Quote 0 0
silvermini3
She and Beau are in a peaceful place now. We would have wanted it different for them in the end, but it was the way it was for them. Beau was only nine, he got gypped on some years, we both did on our time together, but he got a lot of love and good care while he was here. It certainly sounds like your Mattie did too. 
Quote 0 0
silvermini3
If you are a reader, there is a good book called "The Loss of a Pet" by Dr. Wallace Sife. Seeing that Mattie was your first dog (it's never easy with the second, third etc either), it may help. 
Quote 0 0
camunki
hi I have also read many stories in the past of ailing dogs, knowing that they are dying.........they go off somewhere peaceful for their last breathe.....I am not sure if this is the case, but animals have minds and know how to use it. Mattie was most likely feeling pain, and sick......My thoughts and prayers are with you, especially the not knowing is what may hurt the most.

Cam

Quote 0 0