NormaT
A friend of mine at work showed me this poem today (she is dog mad too)
I know it's been posted here before (about a year ago I think) but it certainly struck a chord with me and I just wanted to share it. I think it has meaning for any pet.  
The poem was written by a Richard Biby.

JUST A DOG

From time to time, people tell me, "Lighten up; it's just a dog," 
or, "That's a lot of money for just a dog."
They don't understand the distance travelled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog." 
Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." 
Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted. 
Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog"gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day. 
If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise" or "just a promise." 
"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. 
"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person. 
Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. 
So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment. 
"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day. 
I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a human." 
So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog," just smile, because they "just don't understand."
Norma 
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
NEVER, NEVER Just a dog, A child, a member of the family, and in my case My Baby Boy.  I would go nuts if someone said that to me.  God Bless  Sue XO
Susan
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Norma, thanks so much for posting this beautiful poem. It sums up everything that I feel about our best friends. I had someone say to me when we lost Jim `At least its only a dog, you can go out and get another one`.  They just don`t understand the deep bond we share with our dogs, and the unconditional love they give us for all their lives. 
 They are not just a dog, they are our everything, I preferred my dog to most people.
                   Thanks again, Jackie.
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
norma, thanks for posting this wonderful poem that reminds all of us (at least those of us here) that there is no such thing as "just a dog".  the dogs I have shared my lifetime so far with have exceedingly brought me more joy, more peace and more help then most of the human family in my life..."just a dog", no way!  nobody since goldie or roxie passed ever tried to call them "just a dog" and for that I am eternally grateful since I would most likely have lashed out with such a torrent to the poor ignorant soul that they would never come near me.  wait, that may not have been that bad an idea at that, lol.  only kidding but non animal lovers just don't get the peace they bring to our lives, the companionship when otherwise we'd be alone, or just the unconditional love they offer to us and the way they look at us like they are so forever grateful because we know they are "not just a dog".  many many hugs,  arsine
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
Sadiesmom061308
Norma T
Thanks for sharing that poem. It is so true!
Quote 0 0
LUCYLULU
Thank you so much Norma. It is wonderful & so true. Many people do not understand. I feel very fortunate to have found this forum. Hugs, Kasey
Quote 0 0
LuvCasey
NormaT,

Thank you for sharing the poem. I haven't seen it before. Very touching! It's a great reminder that people are 'only human' and not as understanding, grateful and loving as our babies!

It's dufficult at times to forgive our human companions, but our babies certainly would! I think about how wonderfully accepting, forgiving and loving animals are and I strive (struggle!) to do the same in their honor!

I agree w/ Jackie... animals are more lovable than humans so much of the time :)

Thank you again for sharing. :)

Casey's mommy
Quote 0 0
Bailey15
Hi Norma,
I have never heard this beautiful poem before. I think it really sums up how painful it feels when people who "don't get it" make insensitive remarks.
Thank you so much for posting it!
Hugs
MJ :)
Quote 0 0
CK1991
Great poem Norma! Thanks for sharing!!
CK
Quote 0 0
robertian1959
Thanks NormaT so true , heard that so much she was just a dog . Some people will never understand
Gemma's Daddy
Quote 0 0
denwill1310
robertian1959 wrote:
Thanks NormaT so true , heard that so much she was just a dog . Some people will never understand

I know that saying so well.  It was said to me over three years ago when I lost my darling Zorrick my Welsh Pony after 29 years.  They said he was only a pony go and buy another one.  I said God could only make one absolutely perfect pony and Zorrick was that pony.  That poem is so true they just don't understand.  They do not understand the unconditional love that just a dog, just a pony or just a cat can give us.
denise
Quote 0 0
Evie123
That's beautiful and so true Norma. Thank you dearly. X
Quote 0 0
Sampson
So true! Thanks for posting it!
S.
Quote 0 0