Beadifferent
I lost my beautiful German Shepherd Phoebe just 28 hours ago,  she is not the first dog I have lost but it has hit me so hard as she went downhill so terribly fast, on Wednesday she was halfheartedly chasing squirrels on the common (she was 11 and half) with our other dog then yesterday morning she couldn't stand up, she had suffered lameness before as she had arthritis so I decided to leave her to rest for a while to see if things improved, I managed to get her into the garden for a pee and she then went on to her bed and tried to rest but I could see she couldn't as the day went on, she had this expression on her face that I hadn't seen before and deep down I knew she was asking me to help her, I made a last ditch attempt to get her off her bed and into the garden again but she just collapsed on the floor and her expression told me all I needed to know, I made that very painful call to our vets and within 2 hours I held her head in my lap and said goodbye to her, she never murmured, she lay on the dining room floor and even gave the vet a paw as if to say thank you, then she looked up at me one last time and fell asleep very peacefully, even though I know I did the right thing I keep questioning myself, 'should I have left her a bit longer' etc even though I know it would have been wrong to do so, I feel very guilty and know I shouldn't. 
Quote 0 0
Ollies_Grieving_Mama
I'll share something that a previous vet told me, because I think it really applies here -- Dogs only live in the present, unlike humans. So, when they are having a bad day, they don't have the ability to recall fond past memories or hope for a better future. All they know is their current suffering. It sounds like your girl was suffering a lot, and it wasn't going to get better, so you did the kindest thing you could possibly have done for her. I am sure she was thankful for your kindness.
Ollie's Grieving Mama
Quote 0 0
Beadifferent
Thanks for replying and yes she was suffering, I know that, I also think that perhaps there was something more going on with her that may be had just developed overnight, It's strange but yesterday even before I got up I knew there was something wrong and when I went downstairs Harvey my other dog wasn't waiting at the bottom of the stairs as usual, he was actually in the living room with Phoebe  as if to comfort her, they never slept in the same room together (I have dog beds all over the place), It's weird how you get these gut feelings, my eldest son who lives about 40 miles away said that he had thought about her the day before and couldn't shake off the feeling that something was wrong but told himself not to be silly, My husband said that if Phoebe could come back briefly she would say thank you.

Quote 0 0
Ollies_Grieving_Mama
It's totally possible with a GSD that something really bad was going on -- I know they are prone to a lot of diseases with all of the breeding that comes with their popularity in America. 11 1/2 is a good, long life (I know that doesn't help right now). I can sympathize with the shock of a sudden passing -- I took my boy to the vets on Saturday morning, and by Sunday afternoon he was declining so fast that I decided to let him go. Speaking from recent experience, it takes a while for the shock to wear off, but it does get slowly but surely better over time.
Ollie's Grieving Mama
Quote 0 0
Beadifferent
Phoebe brushing her teeth 1.jpg This was my beautiful girl just 3 short weeks ago, my eldest son was visiting, he had left his bag on the floor in the living room (I will add here that Phoebe had never been a chewer, even as a puppy she was so good) and nosy madam found his toothbrush, he managed to take this photo before she realised she had been spotted...........well a girl has to keep her teeth clean.
Quote 0 0
SailBurger
I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost our German Shepherd Berrin on Monday morning. He was just short of 10 and a half years old. What has helped me a lot is talking and telling stories with family. Working through a memory that is choking me up has been really cathartic. Lots of tears the first few days. But some smiles and laughs as well. They will always be with us in our hearts. Remember all the wonderful memories you had with your girl. 
Quote 0 0
Beadifferent
Hi, I'm sorry for your loss also, me and my husband were looking through lots of photos of Phoebe yesterday and we have found that has helped, remembering when and where we were when they were taken, I also discovered a video I had taken of Phoebe and our other dog Harvey last Winter, they were in the copse at the back of our house and Harvey who has always loved to do a bit of gardening (some might call it digging a hole) and Phoebe would stand behind him getting covered in dirt, she never learned her lesson, we laughed when we saw it, it was as if she was still here.
Quote 0 0
SailBurger
Thank you =). We did the same and picked out our favorite photos. It turned out we are going to have a 200 picture photo album of him. Videos are always great. We have 3 of my boy that I posted in my thread. If you want to check him out in all his glory. 

https://forums.rainbowsbridge.com/post/unbearable-grief-and-guilt-9453510?pid=1301635274
Quote 0 0