dachsiemom
As he watches me grieving for Brandon my husband sometimes wonders if having a pet is really a good idea if this is how it will always end.  Even in the midst of sorrow I assure him that yes it is a good thing.  Everyone on this forum would probably agree that the happy times far outweigh the sad times. 
The joy one experiences through a bond with a beloved pet is a precious gift.  I cannot imagine my life without all my wonderful dogs and cats.  There would be no scratched up couches, no peed on carpets or chewed chair legs, but I would be missing out on the constant love and devotion only a special pet can provide.   
Intense grief is also a gift, albeit a gift to which I would like to say, "No thank you."  But a life without grief would be shallow and incomplete.  Near the end of A Christmas Carol, Scrooge exhorts the ghost to, "Let me see some tenderness, some depth of feeling!"  In response, the ghost brings him to the home where the Cratchit family is mourning the death of their little boy. 
In the story this turn of events can be avoided and reversed, but that alas is fiction.  My little Brandon is not coming back, and I must accept this sorrow as part of the love I have for him.    
Moira - remembering Brandon
"Better lo'ed ye canna be. Will ye no' come back again?"
Quote 0 0
Chinadoll
Moira, such a heartfelt post for your little angel Brandon. In just a few short sentences you explained why we have this painful grief, why we need to accept it, why it is a 'gift', and yes, it is the price we pay for the bond and love so unique in our lives. No matter how hard this journey is, I don't think any of us would opt to have never known these angels, to have received the gift they left, the love, it is eternal. This is a place where we all understand, we all try to help. I just want to tell you, your words touched my heart. Blessings to you and comfort for this long journey.
Charlie
Quote 0 0
Sooz
Beautiful words, Moira.  Thank you for sharing them.
Heaven is the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you.
Quote 0 0
ChronicallyAce
Thank you, Moira, for sharing such a beautiful thought. It really is true. If we never felt this grief, it would mean that we had never felt such a depth of love, joy, and companionship. It's agonizing to lose something that wonderful, but I can't imagine never having felt it at all.
Dante
3/19/2013 - 5/4/2018
You are gone, my special boy, but I will love you forever. R.I.P.
Quote 0 0
Olgita256
So true... as time goes by and the pain eases...I start to see clearly. I see that my boy was old...i start to focus on the things I did right and if I made any mistakes while caring for him through his illness, they were that ...just mistakes The guilt starts to fade as I think of how much I loved him and how I would do anything for him. I adored him!!! I grief much cause I loved much. I had 15.5 years...going night night with him...waking up with him and always saying “good monin Sunshine” 15.5 years of walks in the parks...swimming...dogie parties. I was blessed. Only now 6 months later can I see this.
Quote 0 0
dachsiemom
Thanks to all of you for reaffirming my thoughts about grief.  I want to be happy as much as the next person, but the "Cheer up. Look on the bright side" mentality so pervasive in our culture does get a little oppressive sometimes.  Like everyone here I came to this forum to find a safe place to mourn, and I have found it.  
Moira - remembering Brandon
"Better lo'ed ye canna be. Will ye no' come back again?"
Quote 0 0
msweet13
Like the song said--I could have missed the pain, but I would have had to miss the dance! And the most precious of things--is the dance!!
Denise (Brutus' Mom)
Brutus von Dolce
06/19/2006 - 03/16/2018
RIP my sweet beautiful boy
Quote 0 0
JennyTeddy
Beautifully said. I know without hesitation I would do it all over again with Teddy, even the last 8 months of him battling heart failure. He had a lot more good days than bad days. But I don’t regret sharing my life with him even if it meant losing him. I wish I didn’t lose him as well all wish we didn’t lose our babies. Love never ends. Love is forever.
If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Quote 0 0
Olgita256
Yes JennyTeddy love never ends. I have read your post Jenny... amazing photos of your little boy. Love all the adventures y’all had!! I hope you have lovely dreams of him. I believe with all my heart that they live on in spirit and that they visit and send us signs. My sister kept having dreams of my boy and I was so jealous. I was driving one day and was talking out loud to my boy Buddy...asking why he didn’t come to me in dreams.. why he was going to my sister... silly me ... I asked if he wanted to be with her instead of me...then I thought I need to stop this... I turned on the radio and the song was ending all I heard was “IM FOREVER YOURS... “ FAITHFULLY” by Journey... coincidence or not... it made my heart skip a beat!!!! Hang in there Jenny ... it’s been 7 months for me and I’m much better. First few months I was a mess had to seek counseling. Time helps!
Quote 0 0
JennyTeddy
Olgita,

Thank you for your sweet message. It made me smile and warmed my heart. Today has been a very hard day, full of tears.. I miss my baby Teddy so much, I miss our adventures, and our lazy days. I even miss when he was grumpy at times. I’m so sorry you’re enduring this painful heart ache of your baby gone too 💔 my heart and love goes out to you. I truly believe the song that came on the radio was no coincidence. I have had a few incidents that I know it was Teddy. 💛 Your baby is with you. Love is something you feel. 💕
If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Quote 0 0
Tankie12
That was beautifully said. Thank you. I’ve had many “signs along the way” and I know though we don’t have their physical body’s with us the love is alive, the spirit exists it surpasses the death. But the longing, the loneliness, the pain is so strong it physically hurts to the core. I’ll endure because my baby is worth this. I wouldn’t trade one moment to have never had her, to never have been loved so purely. To them we were perfect, all they knew was pure love for us, unconditional as only an animal can give. That’s the difference between people and animals, they see no flaws. And we mirrored that love in our hearts for them, endless love. Now we are walking and stumbling alone and our sense of direction is gone. So much love to give and no face to kiss or body to hold. We are forever broken but blessed as well and that we can reach out to give comfort to each other proves the heart of a dog has made us better people,,,, be good to you
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 0 0