BorderCollieLover
Memories from circa 2003. My Shelby is amazing. Everyday she seems to surprise me with another of her canine quirks.  Border Collies are a unique breed. They have unlimited energy, like to play non-stop and love to bond with their human counterpart (me). They need to work (herd) and stay busy. This is not a couch potato breed. If a Border Collie doesn't have that natural outlet for their energy bad things can happen. My other Border Collie (Puma) was the same way so I am familiar with the breed. I understand their basic needs. One of my friends has a small poodle (Bonnie). She asks me, "Do You Think that Bonnie and Shelby can hang out together?" I tell her, "Yeah, I think so, let's give it a try." I bring Shelby over to meet Jane and her beloved Bonnie. Jane remarks, "What a beautiful dog." Shelby is black and white with a white blaze running down the center of her face. She has interspersed white and black throughout. She has beautiful brown eyes. I offer to take Bonnie and Shelby for a walk to see how they do. No sooner are we out the front door than Shelby tries to intimidate Bonnie. She gives Bonnie a long, hard stare and let's out a soft growl, Translated it means: "Hey, Bonnie let's establish hierarchy here. I'm the alpha dog here. Stay in line and it'll be okay. Step out of line and you'll pay the price." Poor little Bonnie is scared stiff. We do a time-out and I kneel down and give Shelby an ultimatum. "You are going to be nice to Bonnie. Respect her and give her space, If you can't do that, I can't bring you anymore," Shelby seemed to understand immediately. She got it. After our little pep talk, Shelby and Bonnie seem to have it all worked out. They're going to be okay together, Through the next year or so, there is only one other incident. I picked up Bonnie from the groomers for Jane (she's done me so many favors throughout the years that I am glad to help her out with Bonnie), Jane works (12) hours days routinely and I work at home, so it's not a big  deal. I decide to take Shelby with me when we pick up Bonnie. I pick Bonnie up from the groomers and place her on the back seat. Shelby is sitting up front on the passenger side. As we leave the groomer's parking lot, Shelby turns around and gives Bonnie a long, hard stare and lets out a little growl. She's letting Bonnie know that "this is my car and you better keep your mouth shut or there will be consequences," I tell Shelby to chill out, She does and we take Bonnie back to her house. Bonnie and Shelby would remain friends for about 1 1/2 years before they would move away. Sadly, we haven't seen Jane and Bonnie since 2003. I don't even know if Bonnie iis still alive. It was a beautiful canine friendship and I'm so glad Shelby had that. 

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Oh thank you Jim. This new entry made me laugh out loud with affection.
Girl power -eh? Shelby was laying down the rules from word go. That made me smile. Bonnie wouldn't have minded, you know. They understand their own politics ....LOL!

It's good Shelby had those interactions with Bonnie, and good for Bonnie too.

Mine was an alpha girl too in her ways. She stood for no nonsense. She was gracious but if any dog overstepped her demarcation line she let them know about it (not hurtfully, but in a warning sense) Like a benevolent matriarch. Dogs she met instinctively understood and liked her the way she was.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Mistysmama:

It's a shame that Shelby & Misty never got to interact with each other. It would've been fun to see (2) alpha dogs hanging out together. I certainly hope that I haven't painted Shelby as an overly aggressive dog. Yes, she was a "control freak" with other dogs but she bonded well with humans. She loved people. Dogs? Not so much.  I'm still having a hard time early in the morning. This is when we would go for our long walks together. I really miss that. Especially early Sunday mornings when we would do our (2) mile walk. It was so quiet (we'd go about 6:30 AM) and serene. You wrote recently that you still take walks where you and Misty used to go. I admire that. I can't do that right now. Maybe, sometime in the future but not now. 

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0