BorderCollieLover
This journal entry is another in the many wonderful memories I have of my beloved Shelby. I miss her so much. As I've told friends and family before on many occasions, "This little dog stole my heart back in May of 2002 - and never gave it back." So hard to write this today but my little girl was sp special to me. Her mere presence touched so many lives - both canine and human. 

The year is 2005. Shelby is a healthy (4) year old Border Collie. Her Vet confirms during her yearly exam that "Shelby is a very healthy girl." The Vet, however, thinks that Shelby is too thin. She's a very petite BC (about 20 - 24 lbs.). Typically BC's can weigh between 30 to 40 ibs, but petite BC's are actually very common. Because of the energy level, they tend to be rail thin. I am not concerned. As long as she is healthy, I'm okay with it. 
Today we go over to the local high school track where I'm going to work out. I bring Shelby with me (I took Shelby everywhere). I secure her (and kiss her on the head several times) at the bottom of the bleachers before i start my workout. No sooner did I start to workout than another guy approached me and said, "Wow, that's a cool looking dog. What breed is it?" I tell him that she's a "Border Collie." He seems infatuated by her good looks. "He wants to know, "Aren't they the ones who like to chase (fetch) things." I laugh and confirm his query, "Yes, BC's excel in things like agility, flyball, frisbee, dock diving and most athletic endeavors." I further add that "Shelby loves her frisbee playing. She plays it everyday." He goes over and pets her on the head. I could see this person's genuine love for dogs. It was readily evident. You can't fake it. Dogs can instinctively sense who likes them and who doesn't. I was supposed to be working out but instead got caught up in a conversation about my little girl. I didn't care. Having Shelby make this bond with another person was worth much more than any workout. After this man went about his own workout, a gym class of young girls (I'd say 15 - 17 year olds) came out to the track. Some of the girls called out, "Hey Mister, we like your dog." I am elated. One of the girls yelled to me, "Is that one of those Sheep Dogs?" I tell her - Yes - Shelby is a pure bred Border Collie who would herd sheep if any were present. It was just a wonderful experience. Shelby seems to attract attention wherever we go together. I am so in love with this little dog. 

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Aww! How lovely Jim. What a sweet memory. Your Shelby sounds like the most gorgeous girl. So beautiful. Petite Border Collie.

When someone has a totally charming dog it is so easy to make friends, I think. I made friends with lots of people (dog walkers mostly) who were charmed by my Misty initially.

I can imagine with all the frisbee chasing that she was lean. But she was healthy and well, and that is what counts.

My Misty -though not a BC (she was a petite either Viszla cross or Lab cross or a mixture of both) was 30lbs and was always more on the lean side....healthily. She was a frisbee chaser too, and loved to race all day through the fields and woods. Her favourite thing outside was the frisbee! Well it was a bright yellow "fling-a-ring" actually. We carried it with us on every walk, always.

Thanks for another instalment of your dear Shelby's life.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Mistysmama:

What a great post about your Misty being a fisbee catcher too. I don't think you mentioned anything about that before - or I missed it. In any event, sounds like Misty was very special. She was very fortunate to have had someone like you as her owner. I also like the part where you said that you carried her yellow fling-a-ring with you on all walks. I hope you are finding more peace these days. Keep posting. Love your stories. Take care.

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0