BorderCollieLover
This is my 2nd journal entry of my beloved Border Collie. This really seems to help me with the grieving process. I know we're all at different stages of the grieving process. This is my attempt to try and focus on some of the many wonderful memories of my dog. Right now I am experiencing so many negative emotions and feel crushed by the weight of the situation. This is my therapy. 

The year is 2002 and I am researching teeth brushing for Shelby. I know that regular teeth brushing can help ward off the breakdown of bad bacteria on the gum-line. Left unchecked, the bacteria can initially cause tartar (discolored teeth) and progress to a weakening of the teeth. Ultimately it can also enter the blood stream and cause heart problems. I didn't want that. I'm also reading that raw bones can also help mitigate the effects of bacterial build-up on the teeth and gums. The raw bones are something that I did eventually give Shelby but I started with the teeth brushing 1st. I bought a commercially prepared toothpaste (I forget the name) and a large brush. How did it go? Terribly. Shelby would go under the bed when she saw me hovering around with a large green toothbrush. She didn't want anyhting to do with this. I took it real slow Finally coaxed her out from under the bed. Very gingerly, I opened her mouth and put a small dab of paste on the brush. Started with the front teeth 1st and worked my way around to the back of her mouth on each side. I was real careful not to let the brush touch the sensitive gums. Shelby is being a real trooper about this. She hates it but i think she realizes that I'm doing thsi for her own good. I don't prolong the agony. The 1st teeth cleaning session only lasts about a minute or so but it is successful. I didn't know back in 2002 that brushing your dog's teeth with coconut oil with a piece of gauze is much easier to do and, of course, much less invasive. I wouldn't implement this (coconut oil) until about 2015. Meanwhile, I want to give her raw bones for good oral health. Raw bones are Nature's way of keeping a dog's teeth clean. The constant scraping/gnawing of the bone can work like a scrub brush to keep the teeth clean. I'm still a year or so away from using the raw bones. For now, it's going to be a commercially prepared toothpaste. 
Jim Miller
Quote 1 0
rbaharav
Your Shelby sounds beautiful! I tried and failed at teeth brushing with Coco. 
Robin Baharav
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Hi Robin:

I failed many, many times too trying to brush my baby's teeth. Sometimes she wouldn't come out from under the bed. I didn't want to stress her out, so I didn't do it that day. Believe me, I've known failure with this. Not easy at all. 

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Yes it helps to write about them, to re-visit times in their lives, and thank you for sharing these times with us !

My Misty HATED her teeth being brushed. She wasn't a "chewer" on anything....so it had to be toothpaste and the brush every time. It was a chicken flavoured toothpaste which she really liked the taste of, but she hated me or anyone else "doing something" to her.
But she was such a good obedient girl and used to sit still and let me do it. Most of the brushing happened on her tongue ! She kept licking while I was brushing, and that was tricky.

I didn't start it early enough. She was already middle age when I started brushing her teeth. I should have done them from the first days I ever knew her!

She hated it so much I had to give her a tiny treat for being such a brave girl afterwards....which kind of defeated the object of brushing her teeth in the first place.

I used to do her teeth in the evening 4 times a week. Couldn't bring myself to do it every night because of the way she'd go low down in her bed and look sad when she saw the toothbrush.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Mistysmama:

Thanks so much for reading my journal entry. Since I've been feeling so many negative emotions the past few weeks, it's been a breath of fresh air to do this. It is helping me. I hope that I didn't make it sound as if brushing Shelby's teeth was a routine event. Far from it. She used to go under the bed - and not come out until I put the toothbrush away. Other times, she would open one side of her mouth but not the other. We did go to raw bones later on as teeth cleaners but Shelby outgrew them after a few, short years.  Yes. it's not easy to brush your dog's teeth but I'm so glad that I did it. Sounds as if you had some success brushing your Misty's teeth. You were a very responsible pet owner making sure that Misty had good oral health.

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0