Forum

Author   Comment  
Cici

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone. I am here in a desperate attempt to find some support and advice about my dog Jake. He is a 14 year old cocker spaniel who has a history of health issues. He was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease a few years ago, and also has a heart murmur and congestive heart failure. This has never really slowed him down though! 2 weeks ago he stopped eating on his own suddenly. This was really odd for him because he wants to eat everything most of the time due to the Cushing's. I also noticed his nose sounded stuffed and though maybe he wasn't eating because he couldn't smell.

We took him to the vet who basically has given up trying to give him any sort of real treatment because she feels he's "untreatable", and she gave him a shot of Famotidine and Cerenia and sent us home with Clavamox to appease my nagging about his stuffy nose. The next day, he stopped drinking on his own also. When we called the vet again, she prescribed a decongestant which he threw up because he had no food in him. 2 days passed, and still no eating or drinking so I started googling like a maniac trying to figure out what to do or what was happening. I started syringing him 50/50 pedialyte and water, and Ensure drinks. When he started getting lethargic I called the vet again and asked her if subcutaneous fluids would help him because I was afraid he was getting dehydrated and she told me no, I needed to just put him down! I have been going to this animal hospital for almost 20 years and was so angry at the way she wrote off my dog, I took him to see his previous vet an hour away hoping to get some answers.

He told us Jake's spleen was enlarged and probably cancerous, and maybe his liver..and bladder..and then looked at us like we were trash because we didn't want to put him down right then and there. Again, this vet told us to put him down, without even giving us an accurate diagnosis. He told us to put him on Taurine for his heart and Furosomide for CHF if we insisted on keeping him alive...

So home we went, thinking our dog was going to die from who knows what kind of cancer. I found some posts on a forum about hemangiosarcoma and pretty much blindly started buying herbs and supplements because no medical professional wanted to help us with my dog. I bought Yunnan Baiyao, Essiac Tonic, Colloidal Silver, Dandelion...My poor dog still is not eating or drinking. His stomach was bloated and warm and the 2nd vet told us it was fluid from CHF, so we gave this poor most likely dehydrated dog Furosomide and he is like a catatonic zombie. Today I gave him the Yunnan Baiyao because I figured, what do I have to lose at this point nothing the doctor told me to use works, and his stomach has drastically went down in size...

So here is my question after my 30 hour rant. What now? I'm assuming he is sick from the hemangiosarcoma, that he was bleeding. What do I do now to improve his condition?
Fifa14Coins

Reply with quote  #2 
Essiac Tonic, Colloidal Silver, Dandelion...My poor dog still is not eating or drinking. His stomach was bloated and warm and the 2nd vet told us it was fluid from CHF, so we gave this poor most likely dehydrated dog Furosomide and he is like a catatonic zombie. Today I gave him the Yunnan Baiyao because I figured, what do I have to lose at this point nothing the doctor told me to use works, and his stomach has drastically went down in size...

---------------------------------------------------------------
Mary_Jane

Reply with quote  #3 
Fifa14Coins - why are you copying and pasting sections of someone else's posts? What you've posted here is just copied out of the original post.

Reply with quote  #4 
OK there really is no cure for Hemangiosarcoma. By the time it is discovered it has usually spread widely, as it's a cancer of the blood vessels, so anywhere the blood goes Hemangiosarcoma cells start going. Usually the diagnosis is verified by an Ultrasound scan. Have the vets suggested that -just so you know for sure what this is? Guessing at it isn't good enough.
Hemangiosarcoma tumours show up on an ultrasound as dark blotches, usually with fairly defined edges, and pock-marked with lighter dotted areas. An experienced vet will be able to tell if he sees a Hemangiosarcoma tumour.

A dog who is in good condition otherwise can sometimes have internal bleeds, and temporarily recover afterwards. Although of course the body is in crisis during these bleeding episodes, sometimes if they are 'slow bleeds' they clot again, and the free blood in the abdominal cavity is re-absorbed. This causes temporary anemia and slight jaundice. Sometimes, it is possible for the dog's fairly decent quality of life to return in-between 'slow bleeds'. But that is usually dependent on their overall condition and strength, outside of the cancer.
If it's observed that the dog has more good days than bad, is quite strong, eating/drinking/sleeping well generally, and interested in life -then it can be worth it to ride out these smaller internal bleeds off-set by the good times. And maybe not to think of euthanasia immediately.
However, this is a terminal illness, and like living with a time bomb. At any moment, a massive hemorrhage or rupture of the Spleen can happen. And I feel dogs with this illness should never -ever be left alone, not even to go to a store for groceries!

But...quality of life really is everything. If a dog is seriously sick in many other ways, then the added strain and debilitation of these internal bleeds (which are no fun) may be too much suffering to put them through.

It seems you have a problem, that the Forusemide he needs for his fluid retention (caused by CHF) will further dehydrate him....he has a belly full of blood probably as well, from the leaking tumours. He doesn't want to even drink. And a dog cannot go very long without fluids, without possible kidney failure to add to everything.

My dog had Hemangiosarcoma, and after her first internal bleed, she was slowly recovering, but didn't want either food or drink in the morning (this was not 'like' her usual self) Weakness caused by anemia, and the slight jaundice was probably the cause. I found that dissolving a little honey in warm water, then when it had cooled, syringing that slowly into her mouth, gave her a little added strength. Within one hour she would show interest in a small amount of food. But she was generally strong, apart from the cancer.

I don't want to be lecturing you about what you should do. But the only advice I can offer is -get a definite diagnosis about the Hemangiosarcoma. Keep him hydrated. Syringe fluids into him, as you are doing, until you get the Ultrasound. Try a third vet.
But look into his eyes. Has he had enough already? He is more than a body, he is a spirit, and it may be close to his time to leave his ailing body. Even when he does that he still lives -as a Soul, and with love for you. But no longer in a body causing him pain.

Hugs from me, that you will be given the courage and strength to do whatever you feel he most needs right now. Blessings to him and to you.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
fifa15coins4u

Reply with quote  #5 
well done as you!
so great!  (cheap fifa 15 coins )
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.