Gmr
In 1 week it will be 7 mths since my baby Peanut is gone. I thought I was doing better but lately the crying and longing has started again. Looking outside of my apt I keep seeing myself with my baby walking everywhere she liked to go. I see people walking there dogs wondering if they realize just how lucky they are to have there furbabies. The other day I went to take my trash to the dumpster and found myself crying on the way back because of the memories of always having my baby with me. The other night I started thinking maybe I won't be able to get another little baby because I loved my Peanut so much that I don't know if I could ever love another dog again. Also I don't want my baby to think I have forgotten about her. Anyways with all that's going on in the world I don't know if I could find another shih tzu. I just keep going over how I can't believe she is gone. I hope when she looked at me one last time at the vet that day she knew how much I loved her and didn't want her to suffer. I just can't feel any joy and happiness without her. She was my buddy, my therapy my soul mate. I ask God if it's his will to lead me to another baby to love if he feels I'm ready. Mommy loves you Peanut and always will. I miss you more then words can say. 
Quote 2 0
BojiPat

I know you miss your Peanut very much. This kind of loss affects people in very different ways. Your grief appears profound.  

I can’t tell you if you should get another fur baby. Only you can make that decision. What I can say is that is possible to grieve for a lost pet and love another simultaneously. Bringing another dog into your home is not disrespectful to Peanut’s memory. Instead, it allows you to bring tremendous love to another animal, which may make healing easier.

Perhaps you could explore how you feel by interacting with other fur babies at a shelter or in a friend’s home. If that is soothing and rewarding for you, you might consider another pet.

I have lost six beagles during my 60+ years and have very happy memories of all. I loved them all equally. There are no replacements for a lost pet, but love isn’t reserved for only one special companion. There are many who would relish your attention and companionship.

Let your heart guide you, regardless of what you decide. Just know that Peanut would want you to be happy, even though she has left her earthly home. Her love for you transcends time and distance.

Pat, Quinn’s mom 🌈
You may visit Quinn's memorial at:
https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/QUINN004/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
Gmr
Thank you so much for your reply. I am sorry for all of your losses. I too am 60+ and had 11 mths with Peanut after I retired. I was hoping for more time to spend with her. But it wasn't to be. Your suggestion of spending time with a friends dog is a good idea. It would help me see how it makes me feel. Time will tell. Thank you for your kind words.
Quote 1 0
Bebot
I feel your pain. What your going through, im feeling it right now. In fact i just finish crying then i say your message. My boy is gone now for 3 weeks and 2 days and its been really hard for me and my husband. My husband was sobbing today after he saw his pictures. I dont have any doubt that you will love another fur baby again. Theres a lot of dogs waiting for our love , but im not sure when im going to be ready either. Peanut is lucky to have you as a parent pet and you are lucky that peanut gave you unconditional love, like my Looper. Sending big hugs to you.

irish
Quote 0 0
Gmr
Thank you Bebot for your kind words. I am so sorry for your loss as well. People without pets will never understand the deep love we have for them and the pain we go through after our loss. 
Quote 1 0
Runningman66
Gmr wrote:
In 1 week it will be 7 mths since my baby Peanut is gone. I thought I was doing better but lately the crying and longing has started again. Looking outside of my apt I keep seeing myself with my baby walking everywhere she liked to go. I see people walking there dogs wondering if they realize just how lucky they are to have there furbabies. The other day I went to take my trash to the dumpster and found myself crying on the way back because of the memories of always having my baby with me. The other night I started thinking maybe I won't be able to get another little baby because I loved my Peanut so much that I don't know if I could ever love another dog again. Also I don't want my baby to think I have forgotten about her. Anyways with all that's going on in the world I don't know if I could find another shih tzu. I just keep going over how I can't believe she is gone. I hope when she looked at me one last time at the vet that day she knew how much I loved her and didn't want her to suffer. I just can't feel any joy and happiness without her. She was my buddy, my therapy my soul mate. I ask God if it's his will to lead me to another baby to love if he feels I'm ready. Mommy loves you Peanut and always will. I miss you more then words can say. 
Yes I know where your coming from regarding another dog as I’m pretty certain I could not give another the love + affection I gave my Coco.5 weeks + my grief is still unbearable.So much so that when I eventually go sleep for a few hours I wish I didn’t wake up as my house is dark + soulless without his presence.I wish I could let him go but my mind cannot accept he’s gone forever and when I go in my house I break down and curse to the sky why did you take him so early + make him suffer at the end.I miss you baby so much my heart is forever broken.Love to all x
Quote 1 0