Georgiapeaches
Today is my last day with my white boxer , Georgia. She's almost 12 years old, it seems to young to let her go and it's seems like it all happened way too fast.
I'm going through such mixed emotions right now, while she's been asleep all day long. When she does get up she doesn't recognize me and will barely drink water or eat her favorite foods. I hand fed her a couple pieces of chicken before she collapsed back down again and fell asleep.
It's liver failure , and I just don't want to see her go thru the tests , meds and fear that comes with the treatment. I can't watch her fade away.
So tomorrow the vet is supposed to come to my house and set Georgia free. I haven't left her side all day. I'm watching for some sort of a sign that she's ready or not ready. I don't even know any more what to look for. She's asleep. She looks peaceful with she's sleeping. It almost gives me hope that we will both wake up from this nightmare tomorrow.

Has anyone else felt mixed emotions about letting their dog go? How do I deal with this? What should I be doing on her last day?

I've read stories that you're supposed to take them to their favorite places, feed them their favorite food etc , but what do you do when your dog is too weak to even stand up and barely recognizes you?
Quote 0 0
Baileysbro
I'm terribly sorry for your Georgia.  They bring such joy to our lives and we hate seeing them get sick, weak and leave us.  I lost Bailey this past Tuesday.

Signs of liver failure
Your dog's symptoms may include:
  • Loss of appetite.
  • Weight loss.
  • Vomiting or diarrhea.
  • Increased thirst.
  • An unstable walk.
  • Increased need to pee.
  • Confusion.
  • Yellowish eyes, tongue, or gums (jaundice)
Bailey
October 31, 2002 - April 19, 2016 10:25 P.M.
My best friend, my companion, my love

[e8de4bc1-77ae-4da2-9834-109b68b6cda8]

[Paws-for-the-News-Grieving-the-loss-of-a-pet] 
Quote 0 0
Georgiapeaches
Thank you so much for your reply?
I'm new to this forum. I'm also sorry for your loss. Was it liver failure as well? Georgia has been showing signs of hepatic encephalopathy as well ( brain problems stemming from the liver damage ) : pacing, circling, bumping into things , head pressing and other odd behaviors. That's what convinced me that it might be best to let her go. I don't want her to go thru the rest of her life half asleep and on IV fluids. Just the thought of it breaks my heart, she was always such an active and happy dog with a big appetite.
I hope tomorrow will bring her peace and relief. I can't help the guilt feelings creeping up though.
She hasn't got up once for the past 5 hours. I just can't picture life without her right now.
Quote 0 0
lizzie_252
I feel terribly sorry for you and the decision you had to make. I know my sister was not able to let go of her beloved dog, they were carrying him to the yard because she could not walk anymore and was totally disoriented. The first time she called the vet to her house Sheltie somehow was able to stand up and ate a bit so she sent him back.  It's when the dog had stopped eating a few months later that she let her go. That dog was all her life and lived until she was 17 years old.
I still have guilt feelings about putting my cat to sleep last Wednesday, it was the most difficult decision I had to make. I am not sure if I will ever be able to reconcile with it.
My heart is with you as you're going through this difficult time.
Liz
Quote 0 0
Baileysbro
No, Bailey did not have liver failure per se, his body did start to fail him, first his hind legs then his forelegs, I think he had mild dementia, the past couple of months he started having bowl movements while he slept and we'd find poo in the morning. But other than he was fine, until the last few weeks when I noticed he started declining. 
Bailey
October 31, 2002 - April 19, 2016 10:25 P.M.
My best friend, my companion, my love

[e8de4bc1-77ae-4da2-9834-109b68b6cda8]

[Paws-for-the-News-Grieving-the-loss-of-a-pet] 
Quote 0 0
Missingher
I'm so sorry that you are facing this. I set my girl free 1.5 years ago and I struggled with the questions just like you. Here's what I would suggest, lay down with your Georgia and talk to her. Look her in the eyes and I promise she will tell you. I will never forget the look in Lucy's eyes that just asked me to help her. It was awful, I hated it, the aftermath was a sadness I can't describe but, I found a bit of solice knowing that the last thing I ever did for her was an act of love and completely selfless. I wish you strength and peace in this very difficult time. Soft pats and hugs for Georgia.
Quote 0 0
Meekosmommy
My dog passed away due to liver failure on April 17. Only difference was that mine was only 2.5 years old. I'm so sorry for what you are going through. It must be really tough. I didn't expect mine to pass away, I expected to bring him home with me on the Monday but his liver just had had enough. We all know what you are going through and please stay strong! She needs you to be strong for her right now. She will tell you if it's time for her to go, you need to tell her it's okay to go if she is in pain. I'm sorry again and I wish the best of luck to you and Georgia. Xoxo
Quote 0 0
ELIZAQBETH1
Hello.
I LOST BY BEAUTIFUL BOY CODY THE COCKAPOO IN JAN. THE PAIN IS WITH ME EVERY DAY.  ITS THE LAST THING I THINK ABOUT AND THE FIRST THING WHEN I WAKE UP.. I LOOK FOR MY GUY EVERYDAY..HE WAS ONLY 10 AND NOT SICK AT ALL...THIS WAS A COMPLETE SHOCK.. HE WAS COUGHING AND I TOOK HIM TO THE VET.  THEY DID AN XRAY AND IT SHOWED AN ENLARGED HEART.  I KNOW THATS NOT GOOD, HOWEVER,SHE SENT ME HOMe WITH LASIX AND TO FOLLOW UP WITH A CARDIOLOGIST. I WAS GOING THE NEXT MORNING..WE CAME HOME HE WAS HIS USUAL SELF, PUT HIS PAWS UP TO GO ON MY KING BED AS ALWAYS..HE LAYED dOWN, MY DAUGHTER CAME IN TO KISS HIM GOODNIGHT. HIS BREATHING WAS A LITTLE QUIETER, I SAID TO MYSELF THE PILL CANT BE WORKING THAT FAST..I KNEW I PUT MY HAND OUT AND TOUCHED HIM AND HE WAS GONE..What  THE HELL HAPPENED???  MY HUSBAND WRAPPED HIM UP AND MY 2 DAUGHTERS AND ME DROVE TO THE VET WITH HIM 2 IN THE MORNING..I WAS SCREAMING DEMANDING AN ANSWER HOW WE WERE JUST HERE HRS AGO AND NOW HE WAS DEAD...IT WAS UNREAL AND NOT REAL...THE DR CALLED ME AND SWORE THEY NEVER WOULD HAVE LET HIM GO HOME IF HE WAS IN ANY DANGER... THYE FEEL HE COULD HAVE THROWN A CLOT... I WILL FOREVER THINKING, WHY WASNT I MORE PROACTIVE WITH THE DR??? I WILL FOREVER, BE QUESTIONING SHOULD HE HAVE BEEN ADMITTED...THE PAIN IS INSANE..MY DAUGHTERS ARE STILL SLEEPING WITH HIS STUFED ANIMALS IN THEIR BEDS...HEART BROKEN..
BONNIE
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
Pets all seem to hide their pain and hurt so well.  It was your Cody's time.  There is probably nothing you could have done at that point for him.  We all have our questions and "Whys' in hindsight.  I certainly know I did with My Winston.  Accept my condolences for the loss of Cody.
Susan
Quote 0 0
camunki
I am so sorry with what you will have to go thru with your beloved Georgia, but you have to think of how Georgia feels and if her quality of life has decreased.

I went thru a similiar issue with my dog Daizy last year, she had cancer in her liver, and basically her last week of life diminished, it came to the point that the vet said to "put her down asap"...........so i scheduled the appt, i don't know if its harder to lose a dog instantly or worse to prepare to put the dog to sleep. It was the hardest choice ever, I did have a chance to say "goodbye" with her for 1 hour and 45 minutes at the vets office, holding her, kissing her, loving her, talking to her, etc, until she was sleepy......but I knew there was nothing i could do to save her or make her quality of life "better". To this day, I still talk with her, I miss her so much.

Please know you are doing this for your Georgia, and it will be heartwrenching, but please come back if you feel comfy and you will get a boatload of support......and someone once mentioned on this site....................it is not saying "goodbye".............its "see you in a while"............or something like that, gives me hope and inspiration, cuz i do not like goodbyes!

Cam

Quote 0 0