jazmateta
It's been three months since I lost my Beloved Boo-Boo Amadeus.  I still miss him terribly, the crying has definitely subsided - until I come to this site and read about all the other furbabies crossing, then it comes rushing back.  And a couple of weeks ago, it all came crashing back as I was holding my last chinchilla, Sadie, as she breathed her last (I had at one time 14 of the little furballs, and had at least one chi-chi in the house over the course of 20 yrs).  She was somewhere around 16 or 17 yrs old, I think I got her just before Ammi or right about the same time.

Jazzie seems to be coping very well, but lately getting a bit mopey.  I've asked her if she is ready for a new little brother and she seems to perk up.  So I think she is telling me that she is ready for a new buddy.

Phoenix (the cat) doesn't seem to mind either way, she's as loving as ever.  Bastet (the other cat) seems to be a tad mopey as well, she and Ammi were best friends as he adopted her.  I had some of the dog hair yarn out that I had spun and she went crazy when she got to Ammi's ball of yarn.  This yarn was used for weaving a shawl that was entered in the office employee art show and it won first prize.  The next stage that it moves to will be as a donation to a local greyhound rescue group for a fundraising auction.

Since the girls seem to be ready for a new little brother and I believe that I am ready, I have put three applications in at local rescue groups.  I'm currently waiting for the final approval and then will start the process of interviewing several pups - of which a baker's dozen are currently under consideration.  At first I was looking at only red Aussies, then something (someone more like it) made me look at the other colors of Aussies, black tri's, blues, etc.  I got the feeling that Ammi told me not to be married to a specific color because when I started looking at the other colors, I started seeing pups that had the 'old soul' look that Ammi did.  I feel that he is pointing me towards several that would be best suited for Jazzie and I.  Then this week, I got the feeling that I should ask a friend who is an animal behaviorist about suggestions for age to be adopted with my occassional grumpy girl.  I had been thinking 6 mths to 2 yrs.  My friend suggested that I look more at the 2 - 5 yr age group as they would be less puppyish and wouldn't upset Jazzie too much.  Boy did that open the door to several.  Of the thirteen, we are waiting to hear back on a few about their interaction with cats - serious consideration since they will all be living under the same roof.

And on top of all of this, I am still repainting and reflooring my house.  And then also getting ready for our living history season to start (in Oct), which I hope to be able to introduce the new pup to these sights and sounds at day trips before the long camping trips.

Well, time to head to bed and dream of Ammi and the new pup.  Been having dreams of doing things with the new pup - even though he's just a shadow right now.

Sloppy and sandpaper kisses to all

Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
It sounds like you're healing nicely, and learning the lessons we all learn every time we say goodbye.  Some of those are: It's possible to heal and cry at the same time; and it's possible to miss our angels and fall in love with someone new simultaneously.

I love that you have made yarns with the dog hair!  I have a few huge wads of T.J.'s fur that I saved over the years.  My niece does beautiful yarn work (both knitting and crocheting), and I would love to have her make me something small with T.J.'s fur.  I know there wouldn't be enough on it's own, but if it were incorporated into another yarn in the spinning process, I know it would be lovely.  Maybe one of those small neck scarves with the buttons to hold it in place. She made me a beautiful one for Christmas last year.

Wishing you the best of luck in your search for a new companion in your home.  What am I saying, "Luck?"  We all know it's fate.  100% part of The Plan!  Ear scratches and head bonks to your furs, and hugs to you!

My heart is battered and bruised, but I will not let it break. It holds such precious cargo, I must protect it now. (Susie Squillions)

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Quote 0 0
jazmateta
Thank you Susie for the vote of confidence on how the healing is going, sometimes I wonder.  Some days I can talk about him and no tears well up in the eyes, other days, they just flow.  The last two or three days have been hard, but there is no milestone at this time.

Then I come home to find that my Bastet has a very swollen chin and doesn't want to eat.  She is drinking though, and the eating part isn't too bad as she could stand to loose a pound or a few.  Wild thoughts going thru the head.  We've had a pup have jaw cancer already, so that goes thru the head, an absessed tooth maybe (that would be the easy one)?  Who knows, right now she is not a happy camper cause Mommy caught her and put her in a crate (granted it is a large dog crate that has a kitty and litter box in it).  And of course, Phoenix is being an little pistol at the gate of the crate.

But Bastet has a nasty habit of hiding.  So first thing in the morning while on the way to another vet for Jazzie, call the other vet to get an appt for Bastet (I have two vets, one is for low cost vaccines, the other for regular stuff - tooth cleaning, stitches from being bit, kitties not being right).  Good thing is that she is acting quite normal for her other than the not eating - she even walked away from tuna, her all time favorite people food.

On the other hand, the search for a protege (never, ever a replacement) for Ammi (those are mighty big paws to fill) is progressing, discovered that I have 15 pups in the list with 7 or 8 in serious contention - of course all based on how they do with cats and how Jazzie likes them.

Sloppy and sandpaper kisses to all!
Quote 0 0
tikibarb
Best of luck with your decision.  I just made the plunge and am so very happy with my new little baby.  I still miss my beloved Ted more than I can say but Pippin (10 wk old toy poodle) has definitely plugged the hole in my heart.  I started out looking for a miniature poodle like Ted.  Never had a toy before but this one spoke to me and there was no going back. Pip is a puppy mill rescue.  It always seems the rescued ones are so grateful for every ounce of love they are given. I wish you and your crew the best!     
Barbara Lyngarkos
My Beloved Ted 8/7/2005 - 7/7/10
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/TED001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
donnalee
jazmateta, I certainly hope it is nothing serious with Bastet and it can be taken care of easily!     I really admire those of you who are taking in "proteges" as you say!   I just know you'll find the perfect fit for you and your family.
I'm at 18 weeks (I just realized that is 4 months and I can hardly believe it has been that long!) and I'm the same as you describe.   Most days now, I can talk about Scottie and have a smile on my face, but sometimes, that big ole lump comes in my throat and I feel the tears welling up.  I still think it is normal and fine and is part of this very long healing process.  I just let it flow when I need to.   After all, we never stop loving them or missing them!  And as Susie explained it so very, very well----
It's possible to heal and cry at the same time; and it's possible to miss our angels and fall in love with someone new simultaneously.
Sorry, I thought it was such a meaningful statement, I had to repeat it! 

Tikibarb, I'm so happy that little Pippin is taking hold in your heart!  I agree that there is nothing better than giving these rescues a loving home.  I'm sure Pip is just loving every bit of that love you are showering on him!  It's a wonderful thing to stay on this website long enough to see people make it through those horrible, painful first few weeks and even the difficult months that follow, but then begin to heal, and finally begin to smile and live again.  I know your precious Ted is very proud of you!
Quote 0 0
jazmateta
Well, Jazzie got a clean bill of health today, the vet said she is doing very well for a senior (12 yrs).  Bastet on the other hand ....  she goes back on Monday for them to knock her out and see what is going on in and around her mouth.  She's either got an abess or an abessed tooth.  The good thing is that she had all the blood work done today and other than a highly elevated white blood count, she had completely normal numbers.  She got a shot of antibiotics that is good for two weeks since even when she feels well she is not a pill popper.  And since bringing her home from the vet, she has eaten almost half a can of food.  Right now she is grooming.  We put her in the crate to be able to keep an eye on her and keep her from hiding and laughing at us while we are looking for her.  And I'm so proud of her, she tried to eat the vet - she wasn't feeling too bad!  Of course, now Phoenix is trying to figure out a way of breaking INTO the crate.
Kids!

Quote 0 0
jazmateta
Tikibarb, I'm glad that you were able to find another to help fill that hole in the heart.  I read somewhere - likely here - that each of them have their own den in our hearts and we can certainly have lots of them.  I know that there will never be another Ammi, but I am certain that he will send just the right pup my way.  My black kitty Sasha sent me Phoenix, a tux.

Donnalee, that line resonated with me as well.  I have a friend at work that lost her 14 yr old Pom about a month and a half after I lost my Ammi and she had no other furkids at home to help with the healing process.  She asked me about 2 weeks after he left how long was appropriate to grieve cause she was looking at others.  I told her at the time that there was nothing wrong with grieving for her furkid but being able to love another and I told her to not let anyone tell her otherwise.  And we both at the same time said that her Peanut had a friend at the Bridge to meet him, Ammi, they knew each other from doing fundraising events for the local SPCA together.  I at least had the other furkids to help me with the healing and keeping the schedule going - even as rotten as they can be.  But I love them anyway.

Quote 0 0
jazmateta
Turns out that Miss Bastet had a very loose premolar on the right bottom of her mouth.  She had that removed, the absess cleaned out, a drain tube put in and her teeth cleaned on Monday.  She can't eat from the dish with the cone, so she's been getting spoon fed - spoiled rotten girl!  Friday she goes in to get the stitches removed and the drain tube removed and the cone goes away!  She will be a happy camper then.  So technically nothing real serious, looks like it was caught in time.  After the antibiotic shot, she ate two cans of food.  Now to get her back on crunchies with the wet as suppliment.  Kids!

The adoption search is still going on.  Have narrowed the list of about 15 down to about 5 now.  They still have to do the home visit.

Quote 0 0
donnalee
Well, that is just great news! So glad it was something that can be taken care of and then she'll be back to normal in no time.  What a relief for you, I'm sure. 
By the way, on your first post, among many things you are busy doing, you said you were getting ready for the living history season.  Do you mind if I ask what that is?  I haven't heard of that before....just curious!  Thanks.
Quote 0 0