alittletwig
Three weeks ago on Saturday, I lost the light of my life way too soon.
 20229430_10213818707012823_4763101927193413449_o.jpg

His name was Twig, he was a mini aussie shepherd and he was only 9 months old, born in may of 2017. He was my angel and my best friend. As a 19-year-old college student, coming home every night to him and his loving brown eyes kept me going through long hours of homework. 

he was taken from me way too soon. I can't help but think that he was supposed to live a full life. he was supposed to get old.

I live on a 5-acre plot of land with my family and that was his heaven. He was a farm dog in every way. 

He was my first puppy and I am truly devastated by this loss.It has been hard to keep a brave face in front of my friends and loved ones. 

I will always love my Twig and I can't help but feel like bringing a new dog into my life would be betraying him in some way. I know it sounds very silly to think this way, but he was my whole world.

The truth of the matter is, Twig changed my life. I'd only owned cats before (and still do) but he changes me. he turned me into a dog-person and now I feel like I have a puppy-shaped hole inside of me.

Nothing can replace my love for him but I am so terrified that bringing a new puppy into my life someday will be betraying my love for him. 

I dont want to be scared.
Quote 0 0
Radarsmom
I'm so very sorry for your loss!  Twig was absolutely beautiful, and I can see how he'd light up your life.  The pain must feel awful.  When you feel ready, would you like to tell us about what happened?   You're grieving, and the good people here have  taught me that is a process that takes time to work through.  it's way too soon to think about another dog!!  First you must take time to properly grieve Twig, however long that takes.  You will know you're approaching that time when thinking of him no longer brings up terrible pain, but warm memories of the great times you had together.  It takes a while, a long while to get to that point.  My little dog died Thanksgiving day last year totally unexpectedly.  It's only now that I occasionally have a day where I don't cry from missing him. 

There are several big things I want to share with you.  First, don't try to put on a brave face with friends.  Those who truly care about you will understand tears, and they'll support you.  Acknowledge your feelings as genuine.  But most importantly, now is not the time to think about another dog.  It'd be like saying to a mom whose child had just died, "It's OK, you can have another one."  But a day will come in your future, after you've grieved, that you will look at getting a new dog not as a replacement for Twig, but a way to honor him and all the love you shared.  Till then, come here and tell us about the life you shared together, grieve, come to the candle ceremony, and celebrate his beautiful life.  

Let me know how you're doing.
Connie C
Quote 0 0
Radarsmom
There's one more thing I should have shared that might help.  Have you planned some kind of tribute for Twig?  Think about what you can plan and do that would be a suitable tribute for him.  It should be whatever's personal and important to you.  When my Midnight died I had prayers at church for him; when my Molly died I planted a pink rose bush in her honor; and when Radar died I got a giant sized painting of him done for hanging on my study wall.  Think about what you can do that honors him and your relationship.

Sending you comforting thoughts.
Connie C
Quote 0 0
AmyA
I am sorry for your loss! But yes, dogs do that to you - they show you an unconditional, beautiful version of love. I am glad you had him in your life for the time you were able and completely relate to how he changed you. Your sorrow is part of the process. My thoughts are with you during your time of grief. 💔
Quote 0 0