William
When my daughter was 13 she wanted a dog. You know how that goes if you are a parent. Sure, you want the dog I do the work... lol
Anyway, couldn't say no to my baby. She decided on a daschund and did the research with my husband.
They brought home the cutest little puppy.
At the time my daughter had a cat that came to our doorstep when we moved into our home. He lived down the street but every morning would be sitting on our deck. She would go out and hold him and snuggle him. Eventually the neighbors had to move and asked if we could take him. So we did.

So now comes William the daschund. Oscar the cat was a little put off by this and my daughter got very anxious. After two days she couldn't handle oscar's change so she asked if we could bring the dog back.
I said you can't just give up on something like that. You have to try and make it work. She was so upset I said this is what we will do. William will be my boy and Oscar will be yours. I said I will be William's primary caretaker.
The best decision of my life!!
Anyway, I was talking with my daughter yesterday. It has been two months since we put William down at the age of 14.
I said to her thank you for wanting him and bringing him to me.
She said " Mom, he was meant to be yours all along. You gave him the best life. He was a spoiled little boy"
Those words struck me like a bolt of lightning. She was so right. She brought him into our home but he was meant to be my boy.
I know we all have stories of how our pets came to us. I believe Oscar came to my daughter for love and William came to me to show me love and be loved.
We are all so fortunate we found love with our babies.
🐾💕❤️
Kim
Quote 0 0
Ozziemom
They say dogs pick us they come into our lives for a reason to help us to teach us and simply love us and that is a prime example of that your daughter is right William was meant for you as Oscar was meant for your daughter you did give him the best life and he gave you those memories hang on to that ❤
Quote 0 0
Lennysmom
William's story rings a familiar bell. For years I worked with cats at a no kill rescue. My heart gravitated towards the hard to adopt, the older or disabled pets. I was part of a tight knit group with the same interest and between us we were able to find homes for most of the "impossibles".  When I finally had to leave the rescue (my heart got broken once too often), I had 5 cats, 2 of whom were really "impossible" and 3 dogs...The mini poodle came to me at the age of 4 yrs. from a vet. The owner of Logan wanted him euthanized as he was "too much trouble". The vet refused and put him in a foster home. I saw him and decided he would be a great companion for my mini Schnauzer. They were great friends.  He passed very peacefully last year.  Then my Chihuahua mix was found by a busy highway, scared and very pregnant. I was at the rescue the day she was found. The rescue was not equipped to take in pregnant dogs or cats.  The dog was also heavy heart worm positive. The good Samaritan went into hysterics when the dog was turned away. I followed her out the door, suggested we take the dog to my vet and see if we could get any help. That is the way I got my 3rd dog, Lucy. None of the puppies survived, we were able to successfully treat the heartworm and Lucy has been here for 8 years. Lilli, a Malti-Poo was a street walker...a stray, who could not find her way back home, severely neglected, matted, fleas, bad teeth, etc. No one claimed her, so now this cat person had 4 dogs. My reputation in the community for taking in strays was growing.  Luck was usually on my side and I either found the owner, was able to get it adopted or the rescue took the dog. Having these little ones in my life sort of helped prepare me for my last dog, Lenny.  I really wasn't a dog person. I simply couldn't see them neglected.  I learned from Logan that dogs can be good kitten sitters and that dogs can be extremely loyal.  Lucy has taught me that dogs can be excessively stubborn.

On April 29, 2016, an old blind, deaf dog was found by a friend in the middle of a busy street. She made a snap decision, loaded the dog (fleas, stench and all) into her immaculate car and delivered him to me because "you would know what to do with him". The routine chip check was done, Capstar was given, and the dog ended up temporarily in my garage. I had the privilege of having Lenny with me for 14 months. He taught me to have extra patience, to anticipate his needs, and to appreciate the many blessings that I have. He came to me in horrific shape. By the time he was cleaned up and on proper meds, he was planted in my heart forever. He showed his appreciation by wanting to be with or close to me at all times. He was a funny little guy. He only barked when he smelled a cat go by. He usually only got a whiff when they were passing by so when he started barking it was usually at a cupboard, a wall, a chair...anything but at a cat.  My cats finally learned this and would purposely walk directly in front of him, driving him crazy. 

Not only did Lenny teach me to have more patience, but made me realize that life doesn't end just because something in your life has changed, whether it is the loss of sight or hearing or some other impairment. I am constantly looking around for him as he was usually by my chair, on the other side of a closed door or curled up in or hanging partially out of his bed. I know he was sent to me for a reason. I felt complete or was it I felt totally needed when he was with me? I am not sure why he came, and am even more puzzled why he had to go the way he did. The day that he passed, nothing went the way it usually does. I have a meeting every Wednesday morning and get up extra early so the dogs can have some outdoor time, and I can get my act together without rushing. I had 2 meetings that day and there was paperwork needed for the 2nd one. As I was going to be gone most of the day, I decided to let Lenny out for potty one more time (something I never do unless the other dogs are with him or I stand and wait for him. Neither of those occurred.) I was finally ready to leave. I checked on the cats, the 2 dogs were visible, never thought to check on Lenny as this was his usual nap time. I left the house and completely forgot Lenny. He died in my arms 6 hours later. Beating myself up doesn't help. Trying to remember the good things help when the guilt doesn't overwhelm me. I just want to remember how fortunate and privileged I was to have had him in my life and am doing my best to get rid of the poisonous guilt.
Shari
Quote 0 0
William
Lennysmom
You were a blessing to many animals. It was meant to be that they came to you. I read your story about Lenny the other day. Tragic story. But bless you for giving him some happiness in his life.
Animals know how much we love them. You have rescued many from a life of doom. You are a special person ❤️.
William was the rock of my life. I thank my daughter for her 13 birthday wish of a puppy. Because, literally, that little daschund saved me from so much emotional pain. By having him to care for and having him look to me as if I were " perfect with no flaws" kept me going for 14 years. Bless his little old man heart as he continued to try and keep me happy even when he didn't feel good.

Lenny was blessed with your unconditional love and he gave back to you as well.

Fate and destiny... it was meant to be.
💕🐾🌈❤️
Kim
Quote 0 0
MyBella
What a wonderful story Kim, and you are right, William was meant to be yours and I have a feeling William knew that right from the get go, that you were going to be his human and the two of you would have such fun adventures full of wonderful laughs and love.....absolutely beautiful.
So similar for me as well, Bella was a "gift" from my daughter, she wasn't able to keep her and asked if I wanted her.....but I didn't want her and only agreed to watch her for a week until my Daughter's Mother in Law came back from vacation, she was going to take Bella.....but Bella had other ideas and won my heart over. I remember like yesterday the phone call (over 14 years ago) that my daughter made when her MIL was suppose to come for Bell. I said if the MIL didn't really want Bell (as I knew she had a few other dogs) Bella could stay with us permanently, my Daughter's response was "You like her do ya?" I replied, "she's alright"......the most under spoken words ever, and the best decision I ever made, as Bella helped me more than any one could with my injury, it was like she knew why she was with me, to help me each and every day.
Thank you for sharing such a wonderful memories of your precious William, I really enjoyed hearing how he came into your life. Wishing such peace, light and healing to your heart, may you always feel the love that your William continues to surround you with.

In Friendship, Don

p.s. If you feel up to it, I would love to see a photo of your precious William, of course I understand if you aren't ready to share.
Quote 0 0
William
Don:
I love your story of Bella's entry into your life. I truly believe that animals find the people that need them.
My daughters kind words will stick in my head forever " he was meant to be yours"
Bella was meant to be yours. It's a magical thing.
I'm glad you and Bella had a wonderful life together. Thank you, Don, for sharing your story. I hope others read these stories and relate to what was " meant to be"

I have not figured out how to load pictures. It keeps telling me they are too large or something like that. I wish I could share William because he was the most handisome dog ever in so many ways.

Kim🐾🐾🌈🌈
Kim
Quote 0 0
William
Don
I have many pictures I finally downloaded.
Kim
Quote 0 0
jonancy
William you are such a cutie! I love these pictures. I'm glad you were able to post them. I want to believe William and Scooter are friends at the bridge.

Take care my friend,
Jonancy... Scooters Mama

Quote 0 0
William
Scooters mom
They are together stretched out taking up space laying in the sun.
Thank you for looking at Williams pictures. The love of my life.
Kim
Quote 0 0