calowe82
It's been almost four weeks since I lost Bailey unexpectedly.  Those weeks have been spent crying and feeling guilty that I didn't know she was sick or that I didn't try harder to save her that last day.  The day after it happened, my sister mentioned getting another cat and I didn't even want to hear it.  Fast forward a few weeks to Christmas when I had some time off from work, and during the day I swear the ASPCA ran their commercials five times an hour.  While no one can replace Bailey and I still miss her and cry for her every day, I realize that there is another cat out there who needs me.  I've done some poking around the local shelter website and made a few inquiries about an older cat they took in shortly after Bailey passed.  She's 13 and was surrendered because her owner had Parkinson's and couldn't care for her anymore.  I'm sure she still has many good years left, but may be passed over due to her age.  I'm planning to make the trip to visit with her tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes.  

I hope everyone is doing well, or at least, as well as can be expected.  As I've stated, I've taken Bailey's death extremely hard and am planning on getting some counseling to work through the grief and the overwhelming sense of guilt I have.  I sometimes feel like I owe it to her to be miserable because I failed her, but I know deep down that she knew I loved her and wouldn't want me to keep blaming myself.

Cassie
Quote 0 0
Sandy_T
Cassie,
I am so happy to hear you want to adopt an older cat. My biggest concern is if anything happened to me where would my babies go. You are truley a blessing.
Quote 0 0
Amandax2
I think the greatest tribute that we can give to our babies is to take another one to love and care for.  I hope that in time Anna and  I will be able to find another little soul not to replace Peaches, that is impossible but to love in addition to the love I will always carry in my heart for her.    
Sue Martin
Quote 0 0
Tail11
Good for you! We must have been watching the same channel, because all I saw were those sad commercials too. I was given a new Min Pin puppy 2 1/2 weeks after my Whisper was killed. I really wasn't ready for another dog that soon, but she is here and it's good to have paws in the house again. I'm still grieving for my beloved Whisper but the puppy is keeping me busy and that is what I need right now.

You are a wonderful person for helping this older cat and opening your home to it. 
Quote 0 0
calowe82
Well, I went to the shelter today to meet with Mitzie.  On one hand, it broke my heart to see so many cats there, but there were also TONS of volunteers there taking care of and playing with them, so at least the animals are getting some love and attention.  Mitzie was pretty mellow and just laid there, purring away, while I pet her.  They have all of her paperwork since her previous owner had her for 11 years, so I know her medical history.  She could stand to lose a few pounds, get her teeth cleaned, and has issues with chronic ear infections, but it's nothing that scares me.  My other cat has diabetes and requires insulin shots twice a day, so I have no issues giving medicine to a cat.  I put in an application for her and hope to pick her up on Friday or Saturday.

One of the volunteers was so grateful that I was looking to adopt a senior cat because they deserve a second chance.  My mom had gone with me and when we were driving home I wondered if the previous owner just didn't have any family that could take the cat, and my mom said maybe no one wanted to.  I made her promise that if anything ever happened to me that she would take my cat(s) and not turn them over to the shelter.  On another happy note, my mom was interested in an 11-year old cat that has been at the shelter almost a year.  She was surrendered because she has a thyroid condition and requires medication.  I'm going to do my best to persuade mom to adopt her.

Like I said, I can never (ever) replace my Bailey Boo, but knowing that I can give this cat a fresh start for 2014 does give me some comfort.  I hope Bailey is watching over us.

Happy New Year!

Cassie
Quote 1 0
Catladykaren
I'm so glad you are willing to open your heart to a senior kitty with special needs. I rescued all my cats as young adults, except for one sick kitten. First one had diarrhea his whole kittenhood with an irresponsible Bengal breeder, and it took years to normalize his inflamed bowels. I got his sister at the same time, a shy marbled tabby who was being eaten alive by fleas as a stray, and had a deformed question mark tail. Then came the sick pixie bob kitten who either had calicivirus or herpesvirus and now asthma. Then the medium hair black cat whose story of abandonment on petfinder.com had me running to the rescue. The 4 got along fabulously all things considered, I didn't realize how lucky I was with the smooth introductions. Then 3 years ago I got a patchy haired tiny Devon Rex from my friends who had been an only cat. I kept her in a separate room, tried to get them familiar with her scent, but the dynamic had altered. She immediately hated any other cat and the boys didn't appreciate being swatted in the face by this new little princess. Despite the unrest, I fell madly in love with this 8 year old half hairless girl. I lost my alley cat tabby earlier this year to her thyroid condition. I found out recently they now have an affordable treatment in my area. I feel terrible it was too late. Thyroid conditions might be cured by radiation therapy. And don't quote me but this vet said something about a treatment in my area for about $1000. Years before it had been much more, not local, and thus I opted for medication that often nauseated my poor sweetie. If I had known when the new options were available she might still be with me today. So I thought you might look into it just in case because it might be a way to give this kitty a whole new lease on life. Best wishes and thank you for saving their lives.
Love is eternal....
Quote 0 0
Tail11
Bravo to you and your mom. I hope both kitties are saved and will go to a loving home. 
Quote 0 0
mitre
Good on you for taking on such a deserving cat.
Quote 0 0
Lamont
I know it's been years since you posted about adopting these cats. You have a generous heart.

I found your posting while looking for stories about cats with hyperthyroidism, and wanted to see how others who's cats have or had this got along. Our little Bertie turned out not to be a good candidate for the Radio-Iodine treatment, and she didn't tolerate methimizole wel, either. She finally developed congestive heart failure and is now with the angels.

I hope you and your cats are doing well.
Bertie's Daddy
Quote 0 0
AvySparkles
It is a wonderful story. Older kitties needs lobe and a house too. I went to the animals shelters in my area today as well. Not ready to adopt a new cat yet but seeing how many of them needs a house and familly convinced me to get a new one at some point. I believe that the cats choose their owner so will be waiting for the right one. Seeing them yesterday and hearing about their stories lifted my spirit a little bit. Had a good night sleep for the first time in more then a week. Thank you sharing and good luck in your new kitty adventure.
Avy Sparkles
Quote 0 0