dizzy
A little over a month ago, my 17 year old cat, Stevie, suddenly started having seizures. She'd been healthy her whole life and this just came out of nowhere.

We got an emergency visit with the vet at our local clinic. She rattled off some things it could be and did blood work. While she had Stevie back there, I heard her vocalizing like she was having another seizure. She was. So the vet got to actually see it rather than me just telling her what it looked like.

When the blood work came back, she said that the potassium was low and that could be causing the seizures. She mentioned hospitalization but they could not do it there. The closest place that could is an hour drive one way. We didn't want to put poor Stevie through the long car ride. The vet gave her a potassium supplement and sub q fluids.

We brought her home and she continued to have three more seizures which made us take her to the hospital an hour a way. The vet there said that it was not the low potassium causing the seizures, as it was only slightly low.

She rattled off some things it could be. Brain tumor was on the list. But to know for sure would take a CT scan.

She said that once they got the seizures under control there that I could bring her home and try to manage the seizures with medication.

We left her there overnight to get treatment. In the morning a new vet told me quite positively that it was a brain tumor. That cats as old as she was don't start having seizures for any reason that's "good".

He said that even while on IV meds in the hospital, she still had one seizure that morning.

My husband and I talked it over. We're both devastated. We decided that it wasn't the way we wanted her to live. We had to let her go.

That day we drove back there to have her euthanized.

The pain is so bad. I keep seeing her having the seizures. I keep seeing her lying in the cage at the hospital as we said goodbye for her to stay overnight. I keep seeing every minute of the time we spent with her before and up to euthanizing her.

Now the depression is crushing me and I'm worried about her sister. I know I will be losing her sooner than later. I worry that she also misses her sister and is suffering from the loss.

This is horrible. I've lost cats before but this seems like it hurts so much more.

Her sister and my husband are all I have in the world now. I have no one to talk to and he has to work. I feel so alone and I can't stop crying

If this is what it's like to lose her then what am I going to do when I lose her sister and this house is empty? It's going to kill me.

I know we were lucky to have her as long as we did. I still wasn't prepared to let her go.

Quote 0 0
Achilly
I'm so sorry my Shadow has been sad without her brother too. We are emptinessers and the house feels so empty with my Pup Chance..
Quote 0 0
kikis_mom_1118
I don't know your belief system but ask God for peace. Losing something so precious and loving is devastating. It's a source of pain and anxiety. Pray for comfort and peace. My baby girl fell over and could not stand up but I think about her smile, her sweet personality, and how much she was loved by us and others.
Quote 0 0
dizzy
Achilly wrote:
I'm so sorry my Shadow has been sad without her brother too. We are emptinessers and the house feels so empty with my Pup Chance..

I made an appt with the vet for Wed. morning. She was just seen early last month and everything seemed OK. But I'm so worried.

The house feels empty, even though I still have her sister. I just can't imagine the devastation I'm going to feel when I lose her.

My husband said there will be kittens in the future. I just don't know. I do know that having an empty house will be horrible. I don't know if I'll have the energy for kittens.

We wouldn't be in any hurry to do that though.

Have you thought about adopting a new dog?
Quote 0 0
dizzy
kikis_mom_1118 wrote:
I don't know your belief system but ask God for peace. Losing something so precious and loving is devastating. It's a source of pain and anxiety. Pray for comfort and peace. My baby girl fell over and could not stand up but I think about her smile, her sweet personality, and how much she was loved by us and others.

I don't know what I believe in anymore. I'd like to think that when her sister dies, they will see each other again. And I'd like to believe that I will see them both.

But I just don't know.

I'm sorry that you lost your pet suddenly. I think that makes it harder.
Quote 0 0