Natalies_mom21
Hello,
  I am new to the forum. Tomorrow will be a week since I had to put my 20 year old, beautiful, ginger kitty to sleep. She was kitten like and full of life and energy all her life until the last 3 months. She ended up with cancer and due to her age, her vet recommended to just keep her comfortable and pain free at home. I gave her meds twice a day and made sure she was comfy. Last Wed she had a seizure in the night so I took her to her vet on Thursday morning and lovingly put her to sleep. It was so hard. Everyone including her vet was crying. He had been her vet for 10 years and loved her too. I know when you have a 20 year old kitty, you should be prepared that they are not going to be around a lot longer, but I still can't believe she is gone. I had her my entire adult life and she went through many moves, many horrible things and many wonderful things with me. Her and my other cat (15 years old) were my only two constants. It is especially hard when feeding and cleaning the litter box that I am now doing those things for one. Her sister is also sad and has been picking at food and sleeping a lot. I miss sleeping with my Natalie. She would always have to be touching me with her back against my back or my stomach. I feel so much pressure to "get over it", but I can't yet. How do you break a 20 year relationship and routine like that? 

Samy, Natalie's mom <3
Quote 0 0
ForMyCalypso
I'm sorry for your loss and pain.
Don't listen to the people who tell you to get over it. It doesn't work that way, nor should it. It's well known in therapy that losing a pet creates grief similar, if not the same, to that of losing a human family member.

I lost my sweet Calypso three weeks ago. She was healthy until her last year. With her myriad of health issues my vet also suggested cancer. She was 17.
They told me to take her home, keep her comfortable and happy.
She made it another month and a half; she died while in the hospital receiving fluids.

The community here is great. You will find love and support here.

((Hugs))
Diane, pet parent of
Calypso- my most true love/princess/mama kitty.. (July 2018)
Patrick- my sweet boy (June 2013)
Clover- my pookie bear (May 2001)

I love you all and miss you, always
"Youth's like diamonds in the sun
And diamonds are forever.."

Quote 0 0
Natalies_mom21
Thank you so much for replying. Just reading some of the posts from other people has made me feel that I am not alone in feeling this way about her loss. I am so sorry for your loss of Calypso. Such a similar story to Natalie's. 

Hugs to you as well.
Samy, Natalie's mom <3
Quote 0 0
ForMyCalypso
She was also my constant companion. All the moving, different jobs and schedules. Relationships came, and went. But she was always with me.. I often told her she was my most true love.

Reading others stories is cathartic and so helpful..

When they get to be as old as our babies were, we kind of start to think they will live forever, don't we?

There's a lot on pet loss on Psychology Today website, and the page on grief/loss on the main grief support page that just talks about what you'll go through is helpful too.

Diane, pet parent of
Calypso- my most true love/princess/mama kitty.. (July 2018)
Patrick- my sweet boy (June 2013)
Clover- my pookie bear (May 2001)

I love you all and miss you, always
"Youth's like diamonds in the sun
And diamonds are forever.."

Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Natalie I’m so sorry. Your bond with your beloved cat is as strong if not stronger than a mother with a child. I don’t say that lightly or recklessly. They are our *constants* the one who never judges or gets angry (not much😉) We are their everything and in return we receive unconditional love and devotion. Our days revolve around their care and making them happy. Your loss is epic. It hurts like crazy.

Your other kitty is grieving as well so lots of love and cuddles will help you both. Pet grief has been slow to be acknowledged as something real, something huge, but it is and you can’t help how you’re feeling so what others say really isn’t significant. I’m so glad you found your way here with people who understand. We’ve all been where you are, you’re not alone,,,,,
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 0 0
Natalies_mom21
Yes, I think that we do start to think they will live forever.

Thank you very much for sharing those resources, I will definitely look them up.

I am glad to see that others love their pets as deeply as I do. I have been hearing the "It's just a cat" thing all week and was starting to feel like maybe I was crazy lol.

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me <3
Samy, Natalie's mom <3
Quote 0 0
Natalies_mom21
Thank you Lynn. I really appreciate you taking the time to write. I have only been on this forum a couple of hours and I already feel better. I am not alone. I feel a closeness with you all due to sharing the same love for our animals. You are all wonderful. Thank you.
Samy, Natalie's mom <3
Quote 0 0
Rookiesmama
Natalie's Mom,
I am so sorry for your loss. The change in routine is so hard. I'm sorry you're having being pressured to get over it; there are so many people who just do not understand. I'm so thankful I found this forum- everyone gets it! Keeping you in my thoughts!
Quote 0 0
PipersMother
Hi Natalie's mom.  I am very sorry for your loss.  Your situation sounds similar to mine.  I lost mt 11 year-old Piper kitty a year ago, and I lost my 22 year-old Miranda kitty just two months ago.  That left me with just 14 year-old Trixie.  Trixie showed signs of missing both of her sisters when they died, but mostly she showed signs of missing Miranda. They had been together all of Trixie's life.  

I have been struggling with coping with losing Miranda after 22 years together. She came to me as a tiny kitten, probably 4 weeks old. My world seems empty and upside down, and very tentative.  Like her absence is just temporary and I'm waiting on her to come home.  It has been a hard adjustment losing two kitties in one year.   I'm just taking it one day at a time, trying to focus on the memories and knowing that both of my girls are now pain-free and not struggling with their ailments.  

I send you peace and comfort, and blessings to your sweet Natalie for the life she lived and all that she gave to you. She was here, and she mattered.  Her life is celebrated and recognized. 
Quote 0 0