Samiam
Three weeks ago we had a happy huge white Lab named Buddy. He would have turned 8 this November. It happened so quickly, started with a  limp in the front paw, it took five different vets to finally get an answer yesterday. Cancer all through his bones and around his lungs. My husband and I have been up for almost 14 nights taking turns laying next to him, he whined and cried all night. The pain medication did not work. One vet put him on medicine for Lyme because they could not find anything in the first x-rays.

We could not bring him home another night in that pain, he could not get up on his own. How can this happen in only THREE WEEKS!!!!!!

Like other posts have said at the last second I thought " No, I change my mind I want to bring him home!!" My son was only in first grade we got him and my daughter was in third. Yesterday, my two teenage High School students were amazing as we all hugged him when he went to sleep. My daughter says she lost her "first love" We love you Buddy!! We hope you knew that at the end!!

228719_1370056549141_1086231_n.jpg  
Quote 0 0
MurphysMom_0831

Oh, I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy Buddy. His photo is heartbreakingly beautiful. He has the magnificent Retriever eyes that look right into the soul. Nothing is fair about these sudden and unexpected illnesses. I don't know how such things can happen in only 3 weeks. I lost my Golden Retriever Murphy similarly in 3 weeks under slightly different circumstances. I know Buddy was thankful you provided him with such love and were with him when he made his final journey. His unconditional love for you will go on for eternity. I'm sure Murphy greeted him when he arrived at the Rainbow Bridge, and they'll be good friends along with Jack, Bella, Memphis and all the rest who await us some day. Again, deepest sympathy in the loss of your boy. Thank you for including his photo. It's comforting to see who Murphy is playing with.

Blessings,
Murphy's Mom (Kathryn)

"Sometimes there is a dog who is so special, he is able to wrap himself so completely around your heart it is impossible to tell where you begin and he ends."  For My Beloved Murphy, 08/31/2004 - 06/18/2014

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/MURPH121/Resident.htm

http://s327.photobucket.com/user/kathrynbrown1626/library/?sort=6&page=1
Quote 0 0
Pandassister
I'm so sorry for the loss of beautiful buddy... I bet he is running around playing with all the other dogs on Rainbow Bridge, Panda probably is playing with him too, she loved all dogs as her friend. Find comfort in knowing Buddy is no longer suffering or in pain, and he did not pass alone. I bet he was very lucky to have you as his forever family and the bond is unbreakable. Remember our pets never died, they are much alive forever now.
Quote 0 0
Bellamum
Your boy, Buddy, is absolutely beautiful.  Those gorgeous eyes could melt the coldest hearts.  I am so, so sorry that you are going through this overwhelming pain and heartbreak.  I know the feeling well.  I read your post through tears.   Many of your words in your post could have been my words.  Just like you, I wanted to bundle my Bella up and leave the vet's office, but I knew that I couldn't do that to her, no matter how much I wanted and needed her to stay by my side.  We did the best thing for our beautiful Buddy and Bella. 
I read your daughter's comment that she has lost her "first love" with a smile and with tears. How beautiful that she considered her beautiful Buddy to be her first love.  He left this Earth on his journey to Rainbow Bridge knowing how adored he is and he knows how much he is missed every single day.
We will love and miss Buddy and Bella every day of our life, but we will also know that we have been so privileged to be their family.  We would not give up one second of our time with them, even if it meant that we could take away this pain.  We have been so lucky.
I wish you peace and healing.  You and your family are in my thoughts and I send love to our beautiful angels, Buddy and Bella.  May they run and play in paradise until we are with them again.
Karen
(Bella, Charli and Buddy's very lucky mum)

My gorgeous girl, Bella  26/07/2004 - 03/04/2014
"You were once by our side, but you will be forever in our hearts. Until we meet again baby girl."
Quote 0 0
Samiam
Thank you all so much your words are helping, this is only the secondly ing without him. It will be hard this weekend, we spend them at our seasonal campsite near Cape Cod. When we get there Friday night it will be hard to see his things there and so many will be so sad not to see him there. He loved it there, he loved walking by the cranberry bogs
Quote 0 0
Gravitee
So sorry to hear of your loss. Buddy is/was a beautiful dog, with engaging lab eyes, and it's clear that he had a loving and enjoyable life with you and your family. I lost my black lab Kody last Saturday at the end of a long and adventure filled life. I'm lucky that I had so much time with him, and even though this is the case, it doesn't make it any easier.

Pets are with us only a short while - and they seem completely prepared to let go when the time comes. We on the other hand, are left here - in this physical place - surrounded by all the reminders of our shared lives but without the core - the pet.. the sounds.. smells.. the routines. It's incredibly hard to move past because unlike the people in our lives, our pets are fundamentally a part of our day to day routines, and we accept the responsibility for their care & nurturing... and enjoy providing it.

This need is hard to part with... because up until death, our pets required our constant care, attention, and love to survive. When they die, they don't need this anymore - although I suspect they are receiving it in spades - from us as well as every other living thing that has ever been. But for us - we still have this love.. and this need to provide care and nurturing - during a time when it feels (to us) like they need it more than ever.. but here's one thing that I think we all have to remember: Death is part of life... it's a destination that none of us will avoid... and likely death isn't an ending, but more a beginning or a return to a spiritual center. it's only an ending for those of us still here... but maybe better to think of it as a pause button? 

I miss my dog.. and I know that you miss your Buddy too. We are all sharing in this pain. The confusion hidden beneath the sadness is the fundamental question of "what does this all mean?".. how can we feel so connected to our pets, and then have them leave us? How can all this emptiness possibly be filled again?

I think the answers to these questions will come in time. I wish they would come sooner, but grieving has it's own schedule. Much like life itself - we're along for the ride.. and we have to trust that the learning is there somewhere. We just need to garner the patience and the wisdom to ride it out and trust the process and the flow.

You are not alone - and I feel your loss. We all do. I hope that the hard stabbing feelings of loss will soon give way to warm and humble appreciation of the time that you shared with Buddy and the bond and love that you both shared. We should all feel fortunate that in this life we are granted the chance to love and to experience kinship with another species like a companion animal. They have so much to teach us, and in a lot of ways help us to be better friends, husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, and humans. They connect us to what's real.. what's in the moment.. and what's important in life.. and for that we owe them so much.

-Rich

Quote 0 0
Bellamum
Rich,
Your words are so lovely and have given me a sense of comfort today.
I agree wholeheartedly that the pause button has been pushed.  I write messages to my beautiful Bella and I often say, "WE are not over, just 'on hold' until I can be with you again."
And the feelings of immense gratitude help me to cope with this huge loss.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.  They have truly helped me.
Karen
(Bella, Charli and Buddy's very lucky mum)

My gorgeous girl, Bella  26/07/2004 - 03/04/2014
"You were once by our side, but you will be forever in our hearts. Until we meet again baby girl."
Quote 0 0