PeteysMomma Show full post »
jonandkathy
We went through much of the same after losing our boys on 12/29. We think they told us it was time to bring another dog into the house to share our love with. I was taking Luke's insulin to a senior dog rescue center and Kathy called while I was on the way there. She was in the house and heard a crashing noise. Went to look, and found that Luke and Clay's bowls had fallen off the shelf onto the floor by where they used to eat. Those bowls had been on the shelf since we lost them - there's no way they could have just slipped off.

That night we went online looking a rescue labs and found Daisy, a 6yr old sweetie. She had bounced between adopted and foster homes a couple of times before we brought her home.

For some reason we don't know, Kathy went back to the rescue website 3 weeks later and saw Rosie, and just melted. Rosie is 8 years old and was abandoned by her owners.

I think the boys led us to these wonderful girls and encouraged us to love again.

We'd never try to replace, we just add to the family with new ones to love.
thegirls copy.jpg 
Blessed to have friends like
Ginger
Bo
Bud
Clay
Luke
Quote 0 0
WILCO
I applaud anybody that takes a homeless animal and gives it a loving home. That's what my family did for Ruby. Now that she died, I still haven't come to terms with her passing.

The animal lover in me wants to rescue another dog. The Ruby lover in me says, no way, this is her house!

As others have said here, people are different and recover/grieve differently. Personally, I have no desire to get a dog anytime soon. Not sure if I ever will. 
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
I feel the same Wilco.  Is it wrong of us? My heart says Yes, but my mindset says No. This was Winstons HOUSE.  I feel so heartbroken when I read posts of all the beautiful animals who need homes.  And I was well aware of this before Winstons passing.

I am very mixed up and confused right now. Yes, we all grieve differently as I have been reading. I'm not ready yet and I've come to realize it.  But on the other hand, I want to help another animal badly. I have no car, and I know it would be difficult to Foster.  Tho I so want to. If I had a car i would definately Foster.  I can't see clear of this decision right now. God Bless all of you who have adopted, or Fostered.
Susan
Quote 0 0
Winlove
Your feelings are never wrong. If this feels right then you should do it. You are obviously so happy in adopting these dogs, so how could it be so wrong? I think it's wonderful!
Quote 0 0
jonandkathy
I completely agree - it's an individual decision. For us, we had more love to give to dogs that needed a loving home. I don't miss my boys any less, and I still talk to them daily. Nothing could replace them!
Ginger
Bo
Bud
Clay
Luke
Quote 0 0
DustysDaddy
I agree with other posters that there's no set amount of time.  I noticed what you said that it seemed like fate was drawing you to these new friends.  That's how I see it- don't rush it or abstain, just let them come to you naturally.
Quote 0 0
BeagleMama
I lost my Angel Shiloh a little over 3 weeks ago.  I knew/ had already been thinking - will I adopt another?  Angel Shiloh knows that if/when I do, I am not trying to replace him - he knows I believe that I am honoring him by bringing another furbaby into my heart because he (Angel Shiloh) brought out something in me that I, in turn, want to now share with another canine companion.  Also, he knows that I don't live well without a dog in my life - I have had dogs in my life for most of my life.

I have another reason too - that little one left behind - Shasta is the one with her head resting on her brother (Angel Shiloh - uncle by blood in front).  They were inseperable and Beagles are pack animals anyway.
Nurse Shasta to brother Shiloh 3-17-12.jpg 
 I am planning on moving later this year but that is at least 4 to 6 months off and I feel I really need to wait for another dog until after I sell but there will be another Beagle shortly after we move.  We both are still grieving and I want to focus totally on her right now.  

But yes, only you know when you are ready - if you feel like you can focus solely on these two new furbabies - go for it!  I know that if I had no move in the near future, I would have definite plans in place to bring home another.
Besides, I am sort of scanning the rescues on the Internet already.
Kim
my blog -  http://beagle-home.blogspot.com/ 
               (Team Beaglebratz with Lady Shasta)

Quote 0 0
Chicolito
I've been looking into this topic now because I miss my baby next to me. I lost my Chico February 2 of this year at 15. I'm lost without him. I've been looking at rescue sites , but my husband feels it's too soon. I'm not sure if I'm just doing this out of grief, so I'm willing to wait also. We have a 9 year old Akita and 2 cats, they are not the same as my lap baby:(. What do you think of this decision?

I had also wanted to get a purebred chi this time and honestly I feel I'm rushing this out of loneliness. I also feel disloyal to Chico in wanting another puppy:( I can't talk about this with anyone else. Thank you all for being here!
Chicolitolv
Quote 0 0
jonandkathy
Hi Chicolitolv -

Sorry for your loss, the years can go by so quickly when they leave us, it feels like we had no time at all with them. 

You'll know when it's the right time. We weren't looking at all, it just seemed to fall into place. My wife and I both believe if it's meant to be, it will happen. 
I also had guilt about bringing another one into the house, but I do believe the boys are happy for us and wouldn't want us to be sad every day.

I think for those that don't want to bring another friend into the house, that's right for them. For those that do, that's just as right.

Jon
Ginger
Bo
Bud
Clay
Luke
Quote 0 0