mtnbums2000
My husband came to me last night and said 'this is the first night I haven't cried in the shower, I feel good that Toccoa is at peace and is watching over us'

I thought to my self good for him I hated to see him cry over the loss of out lil one.

I on the other hand am still crying....not so much devastating cries more like aching cries. This I now will pass and this site with all the wonderful supporters has helped me so much!

My husband calls me at work and says when you drive to LA on Thursday you will have a surprise waiting for you. Now I know I don't have to go any further..because you already know what he has done.

The new pup isn't the exact same breed...similar. Different breeder, different upbringing.
My daughter called the breeder of our precious Toccoa...no pups.

I know in my heart I am not replacing Toccoa.....am I okay? I don't know...should I just wait to see the new pup before making a decision?

Is it too soon.....maybe getting back into a routine with the new one will help?

I need a sign from Toccoa I think...even though my husband already said he got one....

Tracy
Toccoa's mommy forever
Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
No one can ever tell you what is too soon, or what the timing should be.  That's different for each of us, and there is never anything uniform about it.  Go to meet the pup.  Perhaps you will see the sign you need then.  One thing's for sure; when you do adopt, whether it's this week or next year, you will find that Toccoa still lives within your heart, in the spot that was hers from the beginning.  Your hearts will grow to make room for the newcomer.  I've always said that it's possible to mourn the loss of one best friend while falling head-over-heel in love with another.  I just think it's marvelous that you're even considering this now. There are so many dogs in need of loving forever homes.

So go see that new pup.  Open your heart and your mind, and I believe you will receive a clear sign from Toccoa.  I'm sure she thinks it's a crying shame that such good doggy parents are missing that special love that only her kind can give you.  ;-)

You and your husband, your Angel Toccoa, and your future best friend are all in my thoughts and prayers.

My heart is battered and bruised, but I will not let it break. It holds such precious cargo, I must protect it now. (Susie Squillions)

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Quote 0 0
Tonya
DITO   SUSIE, xx
No one can tell you when the right time to get another baby.
You go with what you feel,  you go with what your heart mind and soul
tell you.  If your husband received a sign that is a blessing and
we cherish those signs and visits.  They always seem to have
had a message for me when I get them. A serious message.
You just have to follow your heart. Follow what you feel. Follow your heart

I know there are so many out there that need a loving forever home,
one that needs a chance to know what it's like to have
that love from a mommy and daddy.  One that needs to know
what it's like not to be mistreated. To know what it's liek to have holidays with a loving family.   The shelters are full of them.

God Bless

Tonya Mesha Gails mommy Babies and Maggie Mae's too at the bridge
Mommy to living baby Kit Kat AND as of 7/14/2010 Cotton (puppy)
For the love of our babies
They are the reason
Forever and Always Forever and a Day
Oh what a love is the love of our babies
A love like no other. Love drops fall

MY PRECIOUS SWEET GIRL Mesha Gail My Very Heart and your Shane's too
**http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/MESHA001/Resident.htm

REMEMBERING MERCY xoxoxox oh what a love.
**http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/MERCY0031/Residents.htm

REMBERING MAX passed 12/1/2009 xoxoxox We love you MAX xoxoxo
Shane and I love you.

My true register date is Jan. 2006 ****** it took me that long before I cold talk about my loss.
Quote 0 0
missulily

We lost our beautiful Cocker Spaniel Lily on Easter Sunday of 2008, she left a huge whole in our hearts.  We looked on line and found several different people that had Cockers for sale.  We had them send pictures of their pups and had narrowed it down to one breeder.  We met them and they had 4 pups to sell.  2 were all black one was Chocolate and the last was black and white.  My wife picked up the Chocolate one and the black and white one.  The Chocolate on nuzzled under my wifes chin and we were really thinking about getting that one when the black and white one lick my wifes chin and that sealed the deal.  So we got the black and white ond and named her Sadie.  I see so much of Lily in Sadie I feel that Lily led us to this pup.  I say it is up to you to know when it is time to get another dog.

Quote 0 0
Missanita
First I am so sorry for your loss. It is so different for each person. First dog...took 2 years and a 2 yr old Golden who needed a home due to divorce of some friends of my sister...seemed like perfect timing.She was awesome from day one and lived to 15. I think with cats...I truly believe they find/pick YOU...always at perfect time or situation. So maybe this may be the same thing...Hubby moving toward this..
After the loss of my Golden and now having a child, I adopted a dog about 3 months after her death. It did make me so busy and caught up in the puppy that it made dealing with this loss a bit easier...a big distraction, a dog in the house to love. It did take me a while to really 'bond' with her. Hate to say that,but I kept comparing and knew it was just that I was not over the loss yet. I will tell you it has been less than a month since my little dog Cheddar died, but I think I am ready for another. I ache, like you said the ache cry... I do it every day! but I am so lonely for a dog. Can't explain it. Husband says no way, not now. Guess he is still dealing in his way, silently of course. Typical guy. Why don't you just tell yourself you will meet the dog and see what happens? You will know what is the right thing for you after that. Say a prayer and I will say a prayer for healing for you!

Quote 0 0
Tricia
Dear Friend,

Yes, I agree with Susie, no one can tell you when the time is right or what is too soon. I believe that you will feel it in your heart. Visit with this precious fur baby and see how you feel, you may even receive that special sign from your beloved Toccoa and you will know when it's a sign. from him.  You know your baby Toccoa will always be in your heart, watching over you, loving you, but he will also be so very proud when you find it in your heart to give another fur baby a forever loving home when you're ready. Follow your heart, you will know when the time is right.

Hugs,

tricia

Tricia, Burton&Ozzie's Mom

"Good night sweet prince:And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!"
William Shakespere's Hamlet
Quote 0 0
dustyangel
Tracy,

I can only offer words that may make you think...but not words that can give you an answer, for as everyone has said, there is no right/wrong answer as to whether it is "too soon" for that is different for each person and family....

I do believe, in my heart of hearts, that your baby angel (as I had written to you previously) is used in some glorious way to greet little children as they cross to Heaven alone, as what better way to be greeted than by a baby-pup angel, tail wagging, ready to give wet kisses to the young children as they cross into their eternal heavenly home...

My heart also does picture, that your baby angel can't wait to see the day that you, his loving mommy here, has that same new experience, on your side of the rainbow here with a new doggy here, of a tail wagging/wet-kiss greeting of love, so he knows his mom's heart still has love to share, just as his heart has love to share at his new home...

As I believe it was Susie who said, there are so many dogs who need loving homes...

All my best as you and your family make your decisions...I do believe, your heart will somehow "know"...

All my best, Karen/Dusty..DJ..and Patches mom

Dusty's Rainbow Residency:

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/DUSTY101/Resident.htm

"Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy."
~Author Unknown~
Quote 0 0
JeanneBaileysMom
Tracy, I too recently lost my beagle Bailey and am already thinking about another one, though I still have a dog, Millie is a 3 year old springer.

Let me tell you a story. Candy, my first dog <as an adult> was at the vets while hubby and and went on a short trip to Vegas. We actually had 2 Brittneys, but Candy was the older at 16, she was deaf and suffered a little what we now know as doggie dementia, but she was pretty healthy. When we got home I called the vets and they said wait 2 hours, then come pick up your dogs, we want to bathe them first. An hour later the phone rang, the vet was called with tears in his voice. Fancy, younger britt, was ready to come home. Candy had had a heart attack and a stroke at the same time and was in a coma. Needless to say we put her to peace. Picked up Fancy and did say goodbye to Candy though I didnt stay with her, she would not have known I was there. I was so so sad. My now ex husband got the paper and said what breed did you say you wanted to try? He found a lady with a litter of springer pups for sale, We drove to Pasadena and brought one home.  I got a new dog the SAME DAY!!!!!I have not gotten new dogs quite that fast ever again, I will wait at least 2 months before considering a new dog this time.

My point is there is no time table, no right or wrong.    
          Best wishes and comforting hugs,
                          Jeanne-Baileys Mom

Quote 0 0
Princess
Like Tonya and Susie said no one can tell you when the time is right.  You will know, and to me it seems as it is.  Everyone feels so differently when they loose on this subject.  Me mine seem to find me especially after a loss, my best advice is to listen to your heart it will tell you when you are ready. 
For me I feel that I have to have the love surrounding me of a furchild, our last two rescues came to us only a short time before we lost our Kaizer and Maddie to this day I feel they had a hand in it.
Hugs and continued healing'
Debbie
Quote 0 0
mtnbums2000
Thank you so much for all your replies...this support forum has really helped me cope with the loss of my precious Toccoa.

Ok so I went to visit the pup....first thing he did and I am sure every pup does this was lick my finger than nibble on it. Toccoa did this often....Not my sign...

So none of you know this unless you saw Toccoa's memorial but he was born on 3/8/09...my husbands birthday 3/7...Both of my children were born on the 21st of different months....my husbands football number in high school was #21...so those of you that have football husbands know that, that was special for him.

So after speaking to the breeder about various things she then tells me that the pup was born on 9/21.....magic number and daughters birthday...this was my sign...silly I know....

So now we have a new pup...Athens Georgia Flanagan....who made his TV debut on Fuel TV Daily Habit show airing in 2 weeks...on a Friday.

He has so much of Toccoa's spirit in him....the way he slept in our bed exactly the same way as Toccoa did the first night..just little things we see remind us of Toccoa which is very special to me!

The other two dog family members are also excited to have him......Sampson our Mastiff who has been mourning in his own way got his spirit back and was so joyful last night.
I think and I hope I made the right decision.....no comparison to Toccoa unless in spirit...but somethings I can't help but to say Toccoa did that when he was that age.

Toccoa will NEVER be forgotten and now we have a little one to remind us of him....

Thanks again to all of you!

xoxox,
Tracy

Tracy
Toccoa's mommy forever
Quote 0 0
Princess

Congratulations!!!!! Can't wait for pictures.  I am sure your babies are smiling from heaven

Quote 0 0
chanceravi

I'm so sorry to hear of your very sad loss.we lost our boxer in Jan,my son bought us another boxer in Feb,we thought it was to soon.but once we saw him we fell in love with him.in July we lost our springer in Aug again my son bought us another boxer.things are fantastic with our 2 boys.life is once again very lively at home.it.s up to the individual how soon is to soon.

Quote 0 0