CoopersMommy
I'm 29 and for pretty much all of my adult life I've been non-religious. God didn't make sense to me. Even when my grandma passed a couple years ago, I hoped I was wrong and she was now with my pap, but I didn't believe it and I was ok with it. But with Cooper's death, I am questioning everything I've believed. Part of me wants to think he is just gone. That way he has no idea he is dead and that he's missing out of his life and that we miss him. But the other part can't stand the thought that I'll never see him again. I want to know he's safe and happy and not scared. That he's with my grandma and she's taking care of my baby because he was just a baby and he needs someone to take care of him like I did every day. I've just never felt so conflicted about religion. I feel like it's making it harder for me to move forward because I can't figure out what to believe. It's maddening. 
Quote 0 0
puki

I too have never been a very religiuos person. However, when we lose someone who was so dear to us, such as my Puki, we begin to change our beliefs. I understand how suddenly people become religious after losing a loved one. We want to believe that their is a heaven and that our dearest loved ones are waiting for us to reunite with them. I am determined in my mind now that this place does exist and don't you worry your beloved Cooper is in the arms of your grandma now being well taken care of! We have to believe or we would lose hope. 

Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
No matter what your spiritual beliefs are, whether you believe they simply no longer exist or that there is a heaven where they go, the fact is, they have been released from suffering (if they were suffering or about to).  The truth is, they do live on in our hearts forever.  As long as we keep them close to our hearts, they are still with us.  So, yes.  Cooper is with you forever, with no pain, no sorrow, no discomfort.  Just perfect, pure love energy.

Here's kind of where I stand: I believe that our souls never die.  I also believe (personally) that we cannot even begin to fathom what heaven (or the other side, or whatever you call it) is like.  One person's guess is as good as another. I believe we are all created from one great energy (God), and that we return to it (Him) when our time as earth-bound existence comes to an end. 

When we receive signs or dreams visits, or any other kind of communication from our friends on the other side of that thin veil, it is sent to us in terms that we understand, and that is why some of us envision these things as being very earth-like with human or animal form, etc.  My personal belief is of a much more vibrational existence that we cannot begin to understand until we are purely a part of it again.

I do believe that for those who have gone ahead, there is little separation at all.  They can still exist all around us and in things we see every day.  They are a part of the cosmos (again, at a vibrational level), and so are we.  They can see us, but we cannot see them.  Our senses are not finely tuned enough to comprehend what to look for or how to look for it.  Just like the story of The Dragonfly, they can look down through the mists and see us going about our lives, but we have no concept of the limitless beauty of the world above, and the possibilities it holds.

It's all a great mystery, but I have faith that our souls do live on, and that we are reunited with everyone we have ever loved.  The love energy that is waiting for us, where our Bridge Kids are now, is something magnificent and beyond holy.  It is.  It just is...pure love existence.

So, that's where I stand, in a nutshell.  Still, the fact remains that if you don't believe that there is anything at all beyond death, at least there is comfort in knowing that there is no suffering, no hunger, no torment at all.  There is just absolute, complete nothingness, which can bring a peace of its own.

Wow!  I had no idea I would go on for so long about the subject.  I must have had a lot of pent up feelings I needed to get out. ;-)  I'll re-post the story of The Dragonfly so you can read it.  It's lovely and very comforting.

My heart is battered and bruised, but I will not let it break. It holds such precious cargo, I must protect it now. (Susie Squillions)

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Quote 0 0
TomT
HI....  I haven't posted in a while, but would like to add a little post script to what Susie has written.  Even when our Faith weakens, we can turn to physics. 

Death is not the ending of anything.  I believe all of us are only energy that has become matter.  When that matter goes away, the energy still exists.  You can't destroy it.  It never dies. It manifests itself somewhere else. (Heaven?)  We are never alone.  Even by ourselves, we are not alone.  Death is just a door opening to somewhere else.  Someday, we'll know where that door opens to.  I do pray for Peace and Comfort for you all.

Tom T
Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
Excellent point, Tom.  And so simply put!  Now, why didn't I think of that?  ;-)
My heart is battered and bruised, but I will not let it break. It holds such precious cargo, I must protect it now. (Susie Squillions)

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Quote 0 0
Tricia
Susie & Tom,

So beautifully said. No matter what your beliefs. I too believe that "Death is not the end of anything."

Hugs,

Tricia

Tricia, Burton&Ozzie's Mom

"Good night sweet prince:And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!"
William Shakespere's Hamlet
Quote 0 0
GentleGeorge
I completely believe in Heaven and God and believe in a heaven for all creatures including people.   

Here's an interesting take on heaven from a youtube poster, I liked it:

Quote 0 0
donnalee
CoopersMom, I have always believed strongly that our souls continue on, actually in a much better place than here.  I believe that during our physical life here,  we learn lessons  that we couldn't learn otherwise....i.e.  pain, suffering, and all the difficult things we experience and go through teach us a lot.....even the terrible loss we have recently experienced.   
However, when I lost Scottie, I found myself unsure about what happens to animals when they die.  Like you, I wanted to know I would be with him again someday.  I'm going to recommend a book that really helped me.  Even if you are not a Christian, it is still very interesting reading and he makes a very strong case for life after death for God's creatures.  It was very comforting for me and convinced me! I now look forward to the day I see Scottie again. I hope he starts barking and twirling in little circles the way he would do when I came home from work every day!  The title of the book is "Cold
Noses at the Pearly Gates".  I hope the title doesn't turn you off.  It is well written and since you are searching for these types of answers, I thought I'd let you know about it. You can buy it used on amazon.com very inexpensively.  I wish you peace and comfort as you go through this grieving and healing process.

Quote 0 0
Boogie
I believe the same as Susie does. And I think that because animals are so much more "pure" in their soul than humans are it is possible to have a spiritual connection with an animal that is even stronger than a spiritual connection with a more complex human. Which in my mind makes it even more likely that we will connect when we again are on the same "side" as our beloved friend. The pathway will be less obstructed, if you will, for us to join with our pet than with people we have loved in our life who have passed over before us.

And the signs... I was walking my other dog by the lakes recently. I was very sad about my older dog Boogie not being with us anymore. I stood and gazed into the water and thought about her. Suddenly I heard a voice in my mind: "But I am together with you." Out of nowhere. Coming from another entity than me. If I had thought it, it would have gone something like this "but she is still together with you", some kind of an opposing opinion in my head. But it wouldn't have said I. It must have come from her.

Open yourself up to believe in the love between you and your friend. Believing that there is only nothingness after death is also just a belief. Nobody knows for sure that this is a fact. I believe that the more open you are to the possibility that there is existence after death the easier it will be to flow from one state into the next one. And at least you won't spend valuable time in shocked and confused disbelief when you find out that it is indeed true, instead you'll already be connecting with your baby. (or babies.)

It makes the loss somewhat easier to bear. Just a tiny bit.

My Boogie died on 3/25/2010. She was the best dog anybody could ask for. I will be with her again when my time comes.

A drawing of Pax by Heather Spears. She specializes in bereavement and is wonderful to work with, she understands how we feel. She can be reached at spears.heather@gmail.com
Quote 0 0