Hershey2004
We lost a member of our family yesterday.
Hershey was 10 years old and a birthday present for my son who is now 19 and in college.
He wanted a brown lab but we had friends with German shorthaired puppies and it was love at first site, we took them both home.
Hershey slept with my son every night and when Garrett left for college we both suffered horribly from empty nest syndrome,( Garrett being my only human baby) So the big brown dog and I became very close, she slept with me every night and literally helped me keep from losing it during those first months.
She was always there when I had a bad day,  IMG_0182.JPG   my Nuzzle my face when I cried, cuddle up and watch TV with me, share snacks. I could go on and on.
She loved to swim and play by the river and go camping, but was afraid of the dark. She enjoyed her chewy bones more than any other dog I have ever known. She loved trips to the mountains and chasing gophers. She was my best friend. And she is irreplaceable.
Her sister Piper is struggling with me, they were from the same litter and had never really been apart.
Hershey left us at 3 PM on May 3rd after being accidentally struck by a vehicle, the injuries were treatable but the shock was just too much for a dog of her age.
I did get to see her and cuddle, rub faces, and say goodbye, but I have a hole in me now , that no other can fill. And I will learn to live with it because it was a privilege to be her companion for these last ten years, goodnight bestest dog, play with the angels.
LB
Quote 0 0
Tazers_Daddy
Big hugs for you and your family on the sad passing of your baby. Your right that you will learn to live with this but allow your self this time to grieve. Think about the love Hershey gave you and your son and feel that love, you won't forget it
Oh and give her sister a snuggle from all of us.
Quote 0 0
Hershey2004
Thank you so much Tazers daddy, I am still reeling from the whole shock of losing her, Piper is eating little and only seems to want my husband but she always has been extremely attached to him whereas Hershey was Garrett's companion and then mine.
I am trying to pay extra attention to her but as awful as this sounds I find myself sad and almost resentful at the sight of her and my husband kicked back in the recliner in the evening, I know that this is not rational and not fair to Piper or my husband , its not their fault. And I do not want Piper to pick up on these negative feelings of mine. I just miss Hershey so much.
LB
Quote 0 0
ahartofilis
L. B., I am so sorry or the loss of Hershey. I read your story and my heart goes out to you. I can only imagine how you feel and its devastating. I know there is little that I can say to ease your pain right now. I just want you to know that I went through this grief when I lost my Labpointer mix Coco in December. She was 10 yrs old as well. She was diagnosed with bone cancer in November, 3 weeks later, I had to let her go.
  Like you, she was my refuge, companion, friend, when my daughters moved on with their lives. Quite frankly I never knew level of grief over her loss would be so intense. It has forever changed me as a person. We are never prepared for this, we are never ready to let them go. It can be very difficult when they are gone in such a sudden manner, like your Hersey, and my Coco. I can relate to how you must feel. I always thought that I would have Coco's golden years with her. That was not to be. Even though is has been almost 5 month's I still miss her terribly. There is no replacement for that one that has such a special place in our hearts.
   It made me smile that you were able to give Hershey such a wonderful life. I know that a dog of her breed would thrive on all of the activities that you provided for her. You were a wonderful, loving, caring, mom. I hope that with time you are able to take comfort in knowing that she knew how very much she was cared for, and loved.
   I think that our girls look very much alike. I am posting a picture of my girl for you. I know that she is at the bridge with a big welcome for Hershey now. My thoughts are with you, again I am very sorry for your loss................Sincerely, Andrea. 20150407_183104.jpg  My Girl Coco.   
  Run and play with Hershey now my dear girl!  I am sure that she will love doing all of the wonderful things that you have been able to do at the bridge. Love you my Girl...xoxo
Quote 0 0
MyBella
So sorry for your loss of your beautiful Hershey, I hope the fond memories of her will help ease your pain in time.It is so difficult to lose such a close companion, one who helped you in your time of need, something I know all too well. You, your family and Piper are in our thoughts and prayers, so sorry for your loss.
Sincerely, Don & Vera
Quote 0 0
Hershey2004
@ahartofilis

thank you so much for your kind words, and oh my gosh, from the picture they could be twins!!!
We always thought Hershey looked more lab than German Shorthair even though she was papered.
I will find a newer picture and post, the resemblance is remarkable, I am finding more comfort each day in talking with people like you. hunter & garrett 006 (320x213).jpg 
LB
Quote 0 0
animal_qwackers
LB,

I am terribly sorry to hear of the loss of your gorgeous girl. Hershey. She is a beauty and, I agree, Hershey and Andrea's beautiful Coco could indeed be twins. The resemblance is incredible. Oh, how wonderful to think they are both playing together at the Bridge.

It is a terrible time for you, I know. Thank you for posting on my thread about my beautiful Solly dog. He's still with me every day, his energy will never go. I know that Hershey will walk by your side forever. She is such a lovely dog and you gave her such a wonderful life. She, in turn, gave you so much affection and unconditional love. I know the grief I am experiencing with the loss of 4 furbabies in 30 months will never equal the unbridled joy, happiness, laughter, richness, love, and deep affection that I was privileged to receive from my angels. I have no doubt you feel the same way.

Take care of yourself and look after Piper. Lean on each other, and you will get through.

Wendy

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Jack Lemmon

Solly, Gonzo, Daisy-Mae, Ebony, Jerry, Tigger, Bonnie, Suzy, Cleo, Spike, Sooty, and Tibby – dazzling lights that will never fade. Adored, cherished, I was privileged to know you all. Until we meet again, my beautiful babies. Bowls of love and cuddles, your ever-loving, devoted Mummy xxxxxxxxxx

Quote 0 0
Graceful
LB, Garrett, and Piper,

You painted such a loving (and fun-loving) picture of Hershey that I couldn't help thinking of her as the "Peter Pan" dog who never grew up because it sounds like she was always having fun and brought so much happiness into your lives.  It was also incredibly sweet that you and Hershey both experienced the empty nest when Garrett left for college -- you raised your son right, and I'll bet he missed Hershey a wee  bit more than he missed you ... did I get that right?   (no offense)

But really, the attachment you had to Hershey seems like it grew stronger and stronger over the years, she was a member of your family and had all the instincts that brought you not only fun and laughter, but great comfort and solace.   Your soul puppy.  It was also so special that she was a birthday gift, since your son's relationship with Hershey developed and grew as he himself, grew into adulthood. 

My kitty, Twirlie, died of pancreatic cancer 4 months ago, and I miss him terribly.  I may be a bit of a lone wolf here, but I find that I relate more to the happy times when I read the stories here, b/c my soul kitty cracked me up on a daily basis, and that is what I miss and think about -- he left his mark, let's put it that way; I can mourn his loss, and cry myself to sleep, but the truth is, I have more happy memories than sad and that is what sustains me right now.   I hope the same holds true for you b/c it sounds like you have no problem thinking of the fun times, as they are countless.

I'm sure Hershey has found some kindred spirits; from what I have read about CoCo, they are a great match.  :)  I envision my Twirlie sitting under a bush, doing some espionage at the moment ... so take heart knowing Hershey is in good hands, as I know you and Garrett, and Piper, miss her terribly.  That photo, BTW, is priceless.   Love it.

My sincere condolences to you in your time of mourning and remembrance for a member of your family, your Hershey.
In friendship,
Grace and Twirl

"Now that the time has come
 Soon gone is the day,
 There upon some distant shore
 You will hear me say,
 Long as the day in the summer time
 Deep as the wine-dark sea,
 I'll keep your heart with mine
 Till you come to me"  (LM)

Quote 0 0
Hershey2004
@ Grace and Twirl

Thank you , Thank you for such a beautiful post about my Hershey, and yes, Garrett absolutely wanted to take his dog to college with him, but in the freshman dorms, not possible, He was home for spring break last month so he did get some precious time with her.
she was a Peter Pan dog , and as she got older it was hard for her to not run and IMG_20150506_0004 (320x217).jpg  IMG_20150506_0002 (320x210).jpg  IMG_20150506_0003 (320x226).jpg  play as she used to.
Her sister Piper is grieving heavily and I am trying to remain strong for her sake.
Here are a few pics of Garrett and Hershey in the younger days,
LB
Quote 0 0
Hershey2004
Thank you with all my heart and God bless to everyone whose support, stories  and kind words have made these last few days a little more bearable.

Thank you for the candlelight service. I will see you again this Monday

Thank you and God bless to my vet Lisa Jones who tried her absolute best and stayed by my Hershey's side all night that first horrible night. 
 Thank you and God bless to Mariah Macy of Precious Pets who took care of Hershey's final arrangements with such loving care and kindness, and has lost furbabies of her own.
 hunter & garrett 008 (320x240).jpg    IMG_20150506_0003 (320x226).jpg                                    hunter & garrett 025 (320x240).jpg 
                          God Bless you all, Lisa, Michael, Garrett, Piper and Hershey
LB
Quote 0 0
nancynancy
I am so heartbroken and sorry for you about Hershey!!! I know how truly devastated you must be, I lost my boy Zaki 4 months ago, 1/29/15. Not in the same way, but a family member loss is a family member loss. Tears are tears, and grieving is grieving no matter how you are affected. "Death ends a life, not a relationship". That is yours to hold onto with Hershey forever.
Sorry again,
Nancy and forever Zaki
P.S. Perhaps at least Zaki and Hershey are playing together!

Quote 0 0