Sflagirl
Yesterday my border collie mix LUCKY whom we ve had 7 years greeted me at the door as he always did. I left my utility room door open for him to go out with me which I had done many times before. In a split second , I heard the FedEx truck ( he didn't like it and had chased and barked at it several times in the past) ... I heard him barking then No bark then a thud as he was run over by the truck . As I approached the street looking around for him I noticed him laying in the middle of the street shaking pretty much lifeless. I started screaming , panicking on devastation . My neighbors came out as I carried his body from the street to my grass in my front yard as I lifted him blood came from his mouth, his eyes glazed as though God had taken him. My wonderful caring neighbor tried giving him breaths and rubbing his chest. I grabbed a sheet and picked him up holding him in my lap after my other neighbor offered to drive to the vet. I handed him over to the tech and she moved me to a exam room after a few minutes. The vet came in and said he was gone.
I have cried and ached so much that I can't believe I have tears.
This perfect best friend whom I rescued 7 yrs ago who followed me everywhere !!! Including bathroom was no longer able to be apart of me.
When my kids 8 and 13 arrived home from school I had to tell them that their sweet companion was gone.

I'm not sure how to go on ?? He was my rock, my comforter , my heart.
The trama of what I saw is haunting me. I am so saddened I'm having a hard time functioning. I work from home and he was with me always.
How do I forget the badness I saw? How do I heal
I miss him so much my heart feels as though a piece is missing.
BraveHeart
Sflagirl,
Sorry for the loss of your constant companion Lucky. It's terrible that some of our best friends meet with such tragedy. I too lost a dog, a beautiful german shepard, that was struck by a car. He had left the yard through an open gate while we were doing yard work and we were not watching him. As soon as we realized he was missing we looked to the street, and called his name. Sure enough, he turned to come straight home, but he didn't know to wait for cars. It was awful. He died in my arms on the way to the vet, much like Lucky, there was a large amount of blood from his mouth and then he was gone. He was trying to come home, that was the saddest part.

I'm sorry, that probably doesn't sound very comforting. I'm just hoping that you will know you are not alone. It took some time to get over that loss, those images, the feelings of guilt, loss, regret, but it did happen. With time.

On a little brighter note, I just want you to know that we rescued a border collie from the humane society, one that was going to be euthanized because he was completely shutting down from any contact. His name was Lucky. We did change his name to Jet later on, he was SO fast, and so shiny black it just seemed to suit him better. I'm so consumed with his well-being right now because we lost our 11 1/2 yo cattle dog 3 weeks ago and it is only now getting better. It has helped to come here, because I realize I'm not alone and that the intense pain I felt and feel is real. Be especially good to yourself in the next few days, it's easy to become run-down with such strong emotions.
Quote 0 0
Vickye
Christa,
  I am so sorry sorry about your loss of Lucky. To be loved like he was was very" lucky" that you found him and shared a wonderful seven years with him. It's going to take a long time to get past this but you will. I lost a one year old male Doberman Pinscher" Max" many years ago to an auto accident. We had a farm in Maine at the time. I also, had an Irish Setter female. We were in the back field and they were running. The road was not heavily traveled out front so I thought it to be safe. I heard the most blood curdling scream and he was gone. The Irish
came back "Katie" visibly upset. My husband ran to the road. He wouldn't let me see him but his neck was broken. He was dead. My husband buried him in the back of the field. It was very bad but over the years I have had many many new animal friends. They are all wonderful, not the same, but wonderful in their own way. When you are ready make room in your heart for a new friend.
I am so sorry,
Victoria
Quote 0 0
julieandfurbabies
I just don't know what to say and cannot find the words.  I am so very sorry for the sudden loss of your furbaby.

Love Julie x
Quote 0 0
mec
My goodness, I'm so sorry for your loss of Lucky and in that way.  Like Julie, I don't have any words....  I wish you peace and comfort... Lucky was brought to you for the time he was....  I'm sorry that you lost him in that way. 
mec
Quote 0 0
Tambria
Christa,

I am so sorry for your loss.  I know the pain very well.  It brings tears to my eyes to read about your border collie, Lucky.  Our family also lost our border collie in a tragic accident a few years ago.  We hurt so badly and thought the pain would never subside.  It took a while, but it did get easier to bear.  My heart goes out to you and your family.

- Tammy
Quote 0 0
TheresaH
Christa.
I am so sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel because I lost my beloved Koda on the same day you lost Lucky. He too was hit by a car and we found him the next day. It was the most tragic and horrible thing I have ever experienced. Like you I keep reliving it in my head. Seeing his bloody mouth and lifeless body by the side of the road will probably never leave my mind. It is hard for me everyday. I have to drive by the site where he was hit everyday and that just makes it much harder to try and let go of that bad memory. I miss him with all my heart every minute of the day and sometimes I just want to go be with him. I have to stop and think that I have a wonderful husband and 3 beautiful children that need me. They are all in pain as well especially my 17 year old who saw him as well. She has been blaming herself because she left the garage door open. Everyone in the family has done that before but this time he did not come back. We are just getting by day by day. Hoping the pain will ease up eventually........
I am so sorry for your loss of Lucky and my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Theresa
Quote 0 0
Sarahabibi
I am so sorry for your loss, I know there are no words to describe the horrible pain you feel. I came across your story because I was looking for something that could help me with my pain too. Yesterday happened to me the almost same story bur lucky to me and my husband. My beautiful Habibi is still alive. She was gone for a moment but I don't know how when my husband was calling her she came back. Unfortunately she is seriously injured, and she is hospitalized. On monday she is gonna have a surgery for her to be able to walk again but the doctor said she is gonna be limping forever. but at least we are gonna have her again. But I feel so sad right now that I can't get over of what saw is so hard and it hurts so bad to see her suffering. And it is going to be very expensive for us to see her better specially because we are in Mexico and here economy is so bad. But we love her so much that all we want is to see her better. I just hope with all my heart she gets better because the doctor said she is still under risk. it was such a hard impact and she is so small. She is a 4 lbrs silky terrier. 

Please forgive my grammar but english is not my first language and I just wanted to share my story with you and give you my support. And at the same time getting a little bit out of me the pain I am felling.

Thanks for your time,
Sarah 

Quote 0 0