Beckie
My cat Sammy had been missing for a week and yesterday my lovely cousin (who works in a vets) contacted a few for me, but unfortunately what she found out was not good news at all. My beloved Sammy had been hit by a car and pretty much left to die at the side of the road.. I am heartbroken.

One side of me is just at a loss where I feel alone, upset and like a piece of my heart has just been ripped right out of me. He was such a soft, loving boy who loved cuddles and made me feel unconditionally loved, but most importantly he provided me with comfort and a stress relief which I find hard to get from other people. Then the other side of me just feels guilt and anger at myself and the person who hit him in their vehicle.

My mum let him outside the night he went missing and after an hour or so fireworks were going off for Diwali when I was in bed. It clicked the cat was outside but I assumed somebody downstairs would see if he's around and let him in, so I ended up falling asleep. Then all of this happened and I cannot help but partly blame myself because I should have went with my own gut instincts and went to see if he was around myself. I don't know how long he was at the side of the road for either and it angers me that it's not legal to report when you hit a cat. I just think it's common courtesy to let somebody know because these are peoples pets and they will be worried sick like I was. I just pray to God that it was instant and he was not in pain and suffering. 

I miss him so much and I just can't stop crying. I just want the pain to go and I don't know how I'm going to cope with all of this. I decided not to go and view his body at the vets because I just did not want to remember him or picture him in my mind looking in such a bad way, I just hope he doesn't think I love him any less for not doing that. He was only 6 years old, healthy and had so much life left in him and I just don't know how I'm going to cope without him coming to me for snuggles every day.
Quote 0 0
Fishnmusicn
So sorry for your loss, what a beautiful cat. Take good care of yourself.
Quote 0 0
BradsMum
My sincere condolences on the loss of your precious Sammy.  I am so sorry to hear what happened to your cat friend and want you to know that your situation is very close to what happened to me and I can absolutely feel your pain.  I too feel as though my heart has been ripped right out.  My wonderful boy, Brad, went missing Sept. 3rd and has not been found.  I have pictured over and over the same horrendous tragedy happening to him, or a predator ending his life as there are coyotes in the area where he went missing. 

Also, I have been consumed with guilt over his disappearance and it has helped when others have reassured me that the guilt is misplaced as I would never knowingly have placed him in harm's way.  From the love you have expressed I know that you too would never have knowingly brought your Sammy to harm so please be gentle with yourself.  It is a journey when working your way through your grieving time and it is a journey that all of those on this forum understand.

[image]  [image]  [image]  [image]  [image]  [image]  l
Quote 0 0
Beckie
Fishnmusicn wrote:
So sorry for your loss, what a beautiful cat. Take good care of yourself.

Thank you so much, you too. 
Quote 0 0
Beckie
BradsMum wrote:
My sincere condolences on the loss of your precious Sammy.  I am so sorry to hear what happened to your cat friend and want you to know that your situation is very close to what happened to me and I can absolutely feel your pain.  I too feel as though my heart has been ripped right out.  My wonderful boy, Brad, went missing Sept. 3rd and has not been found.  I have pictured over and over the same horrendous tragedy happening to him, or a predator ending his life as there are coyotes in the area where he went missing. 

Also, I have been consumed with guilt over his disappearance and it has helped when others have reassured me that the guilt is misplaced as I would never knowingly have placed him in harm's way.  From the love you have expressed I know that you too would never have knowingly brought your Sammy to harm so please be gentle with yourself.  It is a journey when working your way through your grieving time and it is a journey that all of those on this forum understand.

Thank you, it is a really tough time and it is horrible when they go missing because naturally you do think the worse, even when people try to be optimistic for you. I try to be strong as I don't feel many around me understand how much pets really do provide benefits to you, as you do to them. I'm slowly coming to terms with the situation but there will always be that piece of my heart missing with him. I am grateful I got closure so I'm not left with false hope of him coming back, like I can't imagine how you feel as everyday I guess you have some small hope he strolls in like nothing has happened. I still try and imagine that's the case with my Sam but the microchip doesn't lie, so I need to face that reality. 
Quote 0 0
nwelsh1401
I promise you, over time, it does get easier. It doesn't go away but the pain lessens, the crying bouts subside and the wonderful memories carry you through. 
heart broken
Quote 0 0
Beckie
nwelsh1401 wrote:
I promise you, over time, it does get easier. It doesn't go away but the pain lessens, the crying bouts subside and the wonderful memories carry you through. 

Yeah, I know. The crying has reduced and I'm somewhat able to talk about him now. I still feel the pain of his loss and the pictures remind me of how much I miss his furry cuddles. But I'm able to smile at the memories we created together, although I wish there could have been more. 
Quote 0 0