MichelleShebbasmom

Earlier this week my 12 and half year old dog, Tiger started to walk funny, his hind legs were wobbly,when get up. In the past few weeks he had trouble getting up the stairs and then yesterday he had a seizure. so I took him to is vet. They gave him a shot of Valium to control his seizure , follow by blood work. All the blood work came back normal.I told the vet everything I could about Tiger , only health issue he was hypothyroidism and he was medicine for it. The vet thought it mighty be a brain tumor. The vet gave a dose of Valium just in case he had another that night. I took Tiger back home and watched him. Glad to say no seizure(s) but I notice he only tilt his head one way and can stand up . I kind could be paralyzes on one side. He won't eat his dog food has eaten some bits of toast. He drinks a lot of water. I so afraid that I will have euthanized him. I have been crazy with guilt and fear of life without him.  Two years ago I had to make the same heart wrenching and difficult decision to euthanize my nearly 16 year old cat, Shebba.  I still have problems dealing her loss. 

Shebba help me cope with my mother's death 6 years ago and Tiger help me cope with Shebba's death.  And Now I am might be losing him.       

Quote 0 0
judylinn

I I'm so sorry about this...it's so scary and painful. Your Tiger is having a difficult time, I would take him to the vet again...it sounds like he is suffering. I'm very sorry, I will keep you both in my prayers. Judylinn

Quote 0 0
SchnauzsMom
Dear friend,

Please speak to a vet about vestibular disease.  It is quite copmmon in older dogs -- a classic sign is the head tilt to one side.  While the dog is in the course of the vestibular (balance) issue, things can get quite dramatic.  Not wanting to eat is common.  And the "disease" can take up to 2 weeks to resolve itself.  Generally, the dog is given a short course of prednisone.  The head tilt may go away after a few weeks or may be permanent -- but causes the dog no problems.   I have known several dogs afflicted by this and all were fine after a few weeks

-Schnauz's Mom
Quote 0 0
SchnauzsMom

Me again.  I was thinking maybe you could google vestibular disease and see if it sounds like what Tiger is experiencing.  It is actually not a disease (regardless of the name) -- it is a series of symptoms caused by inner ear balance issues.  The dog feels as though s/he is experiencing extreme motion sickness.  It is common for the dog to be off balance, fall over, throw up, not want to eat, circle toward the direction of the head tilt, be lethargic -- any or all of these things plus probably more that I am forgetting.  But it does resolve given time.  The fact that Tiger can stand up and has the head tilt makes me think this is a possibilty.   My little Schnauzer had this -- was very scarey, but within two weeks, he was 100% OK.  Same with 2 of his doggie friends -- one wouldn't move or stand up for almost a week -- had to be carried outside to go potty -- then one day, she got a little better and continued to get better daily.   And once the disease resolves, it is not likely that it will reoccur.  Just a freak thing

Quote 0 0
MichelleShebbasmom

thank you all for your kind words and the information on vestibular disease.  Tomorrow I 'm planning to see the vet. I hoping for the best.  

Quote 0 0
heartsick
I am so very sorry.
I am hoping for the best for you.
Susan(heartsick)
Quote 0 0
panda

Very best wishes, and prayers that Tiger will be ok.  This is such a hard time for you.

Quote 0 0
sweetiesmom09

My Jack had very simililar symptoms and it turned out to be vestibular disease.  It is basically like vertigo - dizziness and trouble keeping balance.  There isn't any medicine specifically for it.  If I remember correctly (This was about 4 years ago now) they gave him something that made him sleepy.  But anyway, it's something common in older dogs and with time, they recover from it.  Please update us on the outcome and I understand very much your anxiety, as do we all here.  You're in the right place.  My thoughts are with you, Michelle, and your dear Tiger.

--Sweetie's Mom

Quote 0 0
apdwife

Good luck at your appt today.  We all try to do what's best for our pets.

Momma of Count (cat angel), Kashi, Lucky, Calvin and Hobbes
Quote 0 0
heartsick
Please know you are not alone and we are all here for you.
You are in My Thoughts.
Susan(heartsick)
Quote 0 0
MichelleShebbasmom

Thanks to everyone here at this site, well today I talked to the vet, Tiger seems to be doing much better and improving every hour.  But his hind legs are still unable to hold himself up. He has not been able to walk yet since Saturday. Hopefully in time he will regain strenghten in his back legs.  He is resting alot and eating. I will update his condition as offen as I can.  Thanks again to everyone.

Quote 0 0
heartsick
We are ALL here and we will ALL keep
sending healing thoughts your way.
Susan(heartsick)
Quote 0 0