Eddyo
I work for banks and do inspections on houses. I walked in an abandoned house that I had to check and as soon as I walked in, I heard really loud meowing noises in the back. This house was a mess. It looked haunted.

That day it was raining and lightning hard all day. I walked to the back of the house and found 2 tiny kittens crying loudly. They could not be more than 3 weeks old. One was on top of a towel and one was behind a big cabinet. As soon as I saw the one on the towel, I walked over and started to talk to it softly and started to pet it’s face. It stopped crying and had a total look of calm on its face like it was happy to see me.

I was going to take them right then and there but had too much work to do that day so I quickly called my wife and told her to make the 1.5 hour drive and bring the cat carrier and buy food and the whole nine. I called a few people I know as well as a couple of shelters and they all told me the mother is probably out looking for food and to leave them alone.

After thinking about it for a little while, I thought they were right so I called my wife and told her what everyone was saying and not to worry about it as it would be mean to take them away from their mother.

3 days later, I was working in the same area so I decided to stop and check on them. A soon as I walked in, I could not hear any noise. I though maybe the mom took them somewhere. So I was kind of relieved. I decided to take a closer look just to make sure and once I went to the area where they were, I shined my flashlight as there is no electricity in the house. On closer inspection, I saw the 2 kittens on the floor dead...exactly where I left them!!. That same day as I was leaving the house, a neighbor comes up to me and sometimes kids go in there and throw animals in there. I wish I knew that the first time!. 

I am a 6’2, 240 pound guy and consider myself a hard guy as rarely do things ever get to me. Since that moment yesterday, I have been really sad and I have to admit, I cried a lot and I never cry. I feel like I failed them!. If I only knew when I left the house that day, I was leaving them to die!!!. I can’t get rid of the mental image of that little one looking at me crying and how it became calm after I started talking to it and petting it. How the hell can I deal with this?. I really hope those 2 forgive me!!!. It’s driving me nuts!.
Quote 0 0
BojiPat

Eddyo,

I can only imagine what you are feeling. Please forgive yourself. Although your instincts were to take the kittens with you, others told you otherwise. These were people who you sought out, including shelters. You had no reason to disregard their advice. Your intentions were good, and it’s quite possible the mother would have returned for them. Remember hindsight is 20:20.

The shock of finding the kittens later would devastate most people, so your feelings are expected. There is no way you could have known they would perish in such a short time without intervention. 

You were able to interact with one of the kittens and brought it love and comfort. That speaks volumes about your character. Please take solace in knowing that small act may have been the only human contact that kitten had in its short life.

You are obviously a very caring person with tremendous heart. I don’t care how tough you may ordinarily feel. There are just some things that will affect you in unexpected ways. You will heel from this in time, but allow yourself to grieve. Sending prayers for comfort and strength. Be well.

Pat, Quinn’s mom 🌈
You may visit Quinn's memorial at:
https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/QUINN004/Resident.htm
Quote 1 0
Eddyo
BojiPat wrote:

Eddyo,

I can only imagine what you are feeling. Please forgive yourself. Although your instincts were to take the kittens with you, others told you otherwise. These were people who you sought out, including shelters. You had no reason to disregard their advice. Your intentions were good, and it’s quite possible the mother would have returned for them. Remember hindsight is 20:20.

The shock of finding the kittens later would devastate most people, so your feelings are expected. There is no way you could have known they would perish in such a short time without intervention. 

You were able to interact with one of the kittens and brought it love and comfort. That speaks volumes about your character. Please take solace in knowing that small act may have been the only human contact that kitten had in its short life.

You are obviously a very caring person with tremendous heart. I don’t care how tough you may ordinarily feel. There are just some things that will affect you in unexpected ways. You will heel from this in time, but allow yourself to grieve. Sending prayers for comfort and strength. Be well.

Hi Pat. Thank you for the kinds word!!!. Means a lot to me. I hope they Rest In Peace and forgive me!. I hope with time it gets easier but I can’t get over how cruel some people can be!!. I hope Karma gets them good. Thank you again for taking the time  :-)
Quote 1 0