Rosiegirl04

I have to put my dog to sleep this Thursday and it is the hardest thing I could imagine.

• I adopted my 6 year old Pitbull Rosie 2 years ago in one of the hardest times of my life. I was in college and looking back now, not ready for a dog, but I completely adore her and she has become my best friend. She came from the humane society and it was absolute love at first sight. I soon learned that she had very serious dog aggression a few days after bringing her home, and hired a trainer, which helped but didn’t solve her issues completely. She has always been completely fine with people until this past November when she lunged at my roommate who came into my room and bit her on the face. It was awful and completely traumatic for everyone. Rosie was taken by animal control and forced to do a 10 day quarantine and then I got to pick her up.  It was heat wrenching, she was skinny, filthy, and miserable. I couldn’t sleep the majority of the 10 days wondering if she was scared or confused or waiting for me. I paid the hospital bills for my roommate and my dog and I started working with her trainer even more. I moved out of the house, and back home with my parents after the bite. I took a semester off from college because I couldn’t leave her alone. I didn’t care about the consequences and the toll it took on my lifestyle. I ended a serious relationship over keeping rosie because my partner felt I shouldn’t have her. To me Rosie was everything and still is. I was going to make it work. I had to, it’s Rosie. Friday one of my biggest fears happened, while I was gone my mom took her out and she slipped her slip lead (which was trainer recommended) and ran into the neighbors yard and attacked their dog, thankfully he is okay. I feel so awful about this for their dog, and for my parents who took us in and are now in a incredibly uncomfortable situation with their neighbor. This is the 3rd time she has gotten in a fight with another dog in two years, even with me trying to take as many precautions as possible. She has a human bite history. I love this dog more than anything and feel so incredibly guilty. I feel like she doesn’t deserve to die. My parents have said they want her out of the house and she is a liability which is understandable. I don’t have the money to move right now. I live in constant fear of another incident happening and am so incredibly attached to her. It is very hard to find a rescue to take a dog with a bite history and dog aggression, and even if I did, she would be unadoptable. I feel so guilty about the possibility of giving her to strangers where I have no control of what happens to her. The thought of this happening again haunts me, and her ending up in a shelter being taken away from me again. I have been unable to go to work because no one in my family feels comfortable taking her outside to use the bathroom except me. The thought of her attacking another dog and killing it or another person is terrifying. She is so so sweet and loving to me, but she flips a switch when she is around dogs. Her trainer agrees that this is the best option. The most humane one for her. She has lived a happy two years with me. I would rather end it on the best note possible and give her an amazing last day, then to have to surrender her and her be scared and lonely and most likely euthanized with strangers, or for her to live out the rest of her days in a small kennel. I can’t risk this happening again. My sweet girl is laying beside me right now sleeping and I can’t stop crying and feeling like I am betraying her in the most awful way possible. I truly love this girl. She has changed my life for the best, and I am so heart broken.
Chloe Blalock
Quote 0 0
Mar
I feel so bad for you and Rosie..have you tried other trainers that might be able to help you with her ,try like Cesar Millan. I've he's helped dogs that needed to be put down..try reaching out to him it doesn't hurt you'll be saving Rosie and yourself. Tell him how much you love and how sweet she is. Try let me know what happens...wish you the best
Blessings 
Quote 1 0
Amararata
You did the right thing. You loved your dog but she was a danger to other people and other dogs. Pit bulls are extremely aggressive and I don't think they should be allowed to be "pets" for people. However, you tried your best to reform her and it didn't work. 

You did the honorable thing- protecting others from a dog with severe aggression issues that can't be corrected. Imagine if you didn't and Rosie killed other people's dogs or hurt someone else. You can't inflict that kind of pain onto others. It's like sending a terrorist to kill and maim other people. 
Quote 1 0
Annesmimi
What a terrible situation for you to be in. My heart breaks for both of you. I think our ills have a stigma about them and I think haha wrong. Any dog can beCome aggressive It’s how they are raised or something that happened to them. I agree try another trainer if that’s a possibility for you. I hope this works out well for you I truly do. Keeping you both in my prayers!! 
Quote 0 0
Amararata
Annesmimi: Any dog can become aggressive if they're abused that's quite true, but not all dogs have a "kill" drive. Chihuahuas and maltese dogs can become aggressive if they're physically abused but they will never attack and kill another dog or human. Whereas, a pitbull can be given lots of love and care, and they will still attack and try to kill other dogs and small children. The nature of their breed has a strong "kill drive" and most owners cannot tame that drive, hence why they shouldn't become "pets" for people.

Even pit bulls who have been properly trained will automatically revert to their "kill drive" when they're unsupervised. That is why I don't think they should ever become "pets" for people. They are loyal to their one owner, but to everyone else, they're potential threats. 
Quote 0 0
svetaxp
Oh my god.. Please be sure you did everything you could, otherwise you will be forever left with this question and with time it will seem to you that you had more options. A loan, another trainer, some aggression suppressing meds.. This is a terrible thing to be responsible for, please do all you can, for the sake of your life not less than for hers.
Quote 1 0
Mar
Any dog can be aggressive from the smallest to the biggest..the blame should be put on humans abusing these beautiful animals. I rescued a blue pitbull his name was Dodger, he was the sweetest he loved people ,he had so much love for kids and got as long with other pets (Cats ,dogs, birds,turtles, hamsters) .Dodger was attacked by other dogs ,never showed any signs of aggressive behavior ..we gave him love,  respect, his own space and we always talked to him and told him how much he was loved, and what a good boy he was..there was not one person that didn't fall inlove with my Dodger,when he passed his vets were  very sad ..every time we took him in for check up ,
 everyone there came to say hello to my good boy Dodger. No, not all pitbulls are bad .People give them a bad name. Humans are the cause of bad behavior in any kind of pet,  pitbulls  been labeled as  vicious dogs ,that's only because they haven't had one or it's had a history of abuse.
Blessings 
Quote 1 0
Annesmimi
Agree 150%. Pit bulls are given a bad name and are made bad by people. 
Quote 0 0
Amararata
Annesmimi: "Agree 150%. Pit bulls are given a bad name and are made bad by people." I agree with you in a sense that people are responsible for the care of their dogs. However, according to that argument, people should still not be allowed to own them.

That being said, I've never met a pitbull owner who doesn't think their pitbull isn't the sweetest and lovable dog on the planet. All pittbull owners think that. The reality is that they are dangerous dogs for a reason and most people do not know how to handle nor train nor control their pitbulls. That is why we see news every single day of pitbull attacks. When their owner is around, they might behave for awhile, but when unsupervised, their kill drive is easily triggered. 

https://abc7chicago.com/markham-news-breaking-pit-bull-attack-pitbull/6154116/
https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/1-year-old-mauled-by-pit-bull-and-man-who-intervened-expected-to-recover
https://whdh.com/news/bridgewater-police-looking-to-id-owners-of-pit-bull-accused-of-attacking-smaller-dog/
https://www.fox17online.com/news/local-news/kzoo-bc/kalamazoo/6-year-old-boy-attacked-by-dog-has-horrific-injuries
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/04/14/fort-worth-woman-dies-attacked-by-dog-inside-home/
https://www.independent.com/2020/04/16/goleta-woman-survives-attack-by-two-dogs/

When people say these dogs should be banned, we need to look at their history of behavior. Sure, pitbulls may be sweet to their owners, but as I've said, they're a danger to anyone else and most owners do not know how to control their pitbulls. Rosegirl here I don't think is a bad owner either, and she was loving and caring to her dog but her pitbull still attacked other people and animals. That is why they should not be "pets" to 99.9% of people. 

Quote 0 0
Annesmimi
Amarararta you are certainly entitled to your opinion As am I. This site is for those who are grieving and need support. The person who started this is dealing with a devastating decision and needs compassion and support. Let’s focus on that! 
Quote 0 0
Amararata
Annesmimi: I appreciate your thoughts and this dialogue we are having. However, I must apologize to Rosegirl for having possibly hijacked her thread but I want to reassure her that she did the right thing by euthanizing her dangerous dog.

I do want to say that I understand your argument in it is your belief that a dogs' temperament is 100% nurture and determined by how it was raised in its environment but this I believe is highly idealistic thinking and completely inaccurate.

Dogs, like people, have temperaments that are determined by 50% genetics + 50% nurture/environment. Dogs aren't blank slates in which a certain environment will completely change their natural innate behavior due to genetics.

Please understand that I am an animal lover and love wild animals like wolves and tigers, but I do not believe dangerous animals should become "pets" to the average person and that includes the pit bull.

Now, if you don't mind if I explain my reasoning, pit bulls genetically have certain features that make it a violent breed, prone to be driven by its kill instinct. 1) Pit bulls produce an unusually high level of the neurotransmitter L-tyrosine. This means that it makes them quicker to anger. 2) Pit bull attacks can last 10-15+ minutes on average or longer because they have a high tolerance to pain due to the unusually high level of endorphins they produce in response to pain. This translates into that they are similar to "adrenaline" junkies who produce endorphins as they get into fights so they purposely seek out pain because it creates the pleasurable endorphin buzz when they attack and kill. 3) Most other aggressive dog breeds growl, bark or show their teeth before they attack, however not the pit bull. The pit bull will attack with no apparent sign. Even previously supposedly non-aggressive pit bulls will suddenly attack without warning and there have been many reported incidents of pit bulls who often were seen to get along well with children, but suddenly out of nowhere viciously attacked and mauled a child and the owners were shocked. 4) Pit bulls produce low levels of the neurotransmitter taurine. Wild animals such as tigers and wolves do not produce taurine and they seek taurine in the prey that they kill. Taurine acts as a neurotransmitter than has a calming effect on the brain.

For these reasons due to their particular brain chemistry in which differs from other dog breeds, I do not think pit bulls should be pets.

Humans are not equipped to understand how to tame these inherent genetic qualities that pit bulls have. We can give them all the love and affection they need, but they will revert to their innate violent inclinations due to the particular unusual structure of their brain chemistry. That is why I strongly believe in a nationwide ban of this breed of dog. We are simply not equipped to handle them as "pets".
Quote 1 0
Annesmimi
And yet you hijacked her space once again.  Stop trying to influence me, you will not be successful. Your effort to prove your point or persuade me appears to be more important to you then being sensitive to someone else’s situation. I am done. Rosiegirl04 I am truly truly sorry!! 
Quote 1 0
Amararata
Hey Annesmimi, I didn't mean to upset you. It's obvious that this is a very personal, emotional subject for you. I was just trying to bring to light another perspective that most people may overlook. I think we must also be considerate of other people and their safety when we choose our pets. The bond between dogs and humans are very special and I'm sure Rosiegirl is in much pain and I'm trying to hopefully let her know she made the right choice. 
Quote 0 1