Forum

Author   Comment  
Motherofcats

Reply with quote  #1 
My cat has only 4 months, but he apparently had been sick since I took him, although the vet didn't suspect anything.Last week, he started to eat less and less, and started to breath very hard.Took him again to the ved this week, and they tolm me he has some liquid in his stomach and that he has a disease that it's deadly for cats:( Tomorrow,I am suppose to euthanize my baby, but I feel like i am in a nightmare...I cried everyday, even at work, and I can't do this...my bf said he is going to take him, but he is also in the same situation as I am...we have him for 2 months, it's just not fair, he is just a baby after all....I just don't know how to cope with this, even when I think about it, I can't stop my tears:(( I really don't want to do this, but I can see that my baby has gotten worse and I don't want him to suffer anymore
pannklaus

Reply with quote  #2 
I am so very sorry about your baby cat and know how extremely difficult it is.  The first time I had to make the decision I had a great deal of difficulty going through with it.  Now that I have been through it three times, I know that when a fur baby is suffering this is the only way to take that suffering away.  When it is a given that  he is going to die, it is an unselfish act of love to go through the pain of all of it to keep him from suffering anymore.  Otherwise, he will just have a more prolonged death.  

The first time I couldn't bear the thought of being in the room with the vet.  The other two times I was and I saw that it is a peaceful process if you have a sensitive vet who handles it properly.  I doubt that you will be able to be in the room this time and that is okay.  Your fur baby will  be pretty out of it very quickly and won't be focused on whether you are there are not.

Afterward, there is a great deal of grief but that is true  no matter how our fur babies die.   This forum will be here for you to write about your feelings and grieve with you.  I am so sorry you have to go through this so soon after getting your precious baby and I will be thinking about you.  Please try to remember that you are giving your beloved baby cat a gift by taking away his suffering even though you are trading it in for your own pain and grief.

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Motherofcats, I'm so sorry for what you, your bf and your little kitten are going through.  No, it's not fair for someone so young to be so gravely ill.  But if there's no treatment and he's dying, then euthanasia for our fur babies is the humane way.  Try to spend as much time with your cat today and tomorrow, putting aside all distractions.  My unsolicited advice is to try to be in the room when your fur baby is euthanized, stroking his fur before and after he's passed away.  I think it may help you to be there. But, as Patsy wrote above, it's ok if you can't be there.  Our fur babies do lose consciousness very quickly and won't be focused on who was in the room.  Again, I'm so sorry for what you are going through.
Mazz

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi motherofcats,

So so sorry for what you and your boyfriend are going through we’ve just been through it all with my 12 year old cat smokey , it’s the hardest thing you will ever have to do but you find the strength to do what’s best for them . Our girl had liver disease it all happened so fast we were told on the Monday she wouldn’t survive the operations and she was suffering so we made the choice to take her pain and suffering away and it was the right thing to do . The day before we spent all day cuddling crying and giving her all the love she wanted . The morning we took her I was distraught cried all day and night but again I knew it was the right thing to do . I also decided I wanted to be with her and so was her daddy and she passed away so peacefully with me looking into her eyes saying to not be scared and that I was with her and loved her . You will take a while to come to terms with it all I know I will but hun it’s for the best for your baby and she will be free from pain and suffering . I’m here anytime if you want to chat lots of love xxxx
BlairS

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Motherofcats.  I'm very sorry to hear about your baby.  I won't lie to you, it's going to be difficult.  Choosing to release my best buddy from her suffering was the hardest most gut wrenching decision I have ever made in my life.  Not a day goes by I don't question my choice.  Of course I will always wish we could have had even a little bit more time together, but in the end my responsibility was to do what was best for her, not what was best for me.  I've come to accept that not making that choice would have just been selfish. That is the price we pay for loving these beautiful friends who cannot speak for themselves.  The folks on this forum are thoughtful and caring and have been where you and I have been in the past, it's good that you can share your grief with them.  I wish you all the best in the hard days to come.
Motherofcats

Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you very much for the encouraging words! You guys really helped me and I am alsi very sorry for everything you've had to go through:( No one should experience this feeling, but the most important thing to do is to make our little babies feel special, as long as we have them with us. There are people who really don't seem to understand how much they mean to us and in how much pain we are when we lose them...anyway, thank you again to everyone for the bottom of my heart for all the support
Mazz

Reply with quote  #7 
We’re all here for you hun anytime just a message away take care of yourself lots of love Mazz xx
Andee

Reply with quote  #8 
I am so sorry you have had to lose your fur baby when he is so young. Losing our fur babies at any age is very painful, but at just 4-months, it feels even more unfair. I think my fur baby had the same illness as yours, the wicked FIP. It is a confusing and ruthless disease. When I took my fur baby to the vet, she was so sick, I had to make the decision to euthanize while there. There was no way I was going to watch my baby die or see her dead! I wanted to remember her being alive. So, I just signed the papers and left in tears with my empty pet carrier.

I was afraid of FIP for a time, wondering if my next kitty would have it, too. Nonetheless, I adopted an adorable 6-month old kitten two months later. Can't stop the love for long when so many fur babies at shelters beg for love and attention. My new baby literally jumped for joy the first few days she was home with me.

I am sorry for the pain and grief you are going through. I hope you will find happiness someday in the future with another little fur baby.

Reply with quote  #9 
Losing your furbaby is so very difficult.  I had to put my sweet baby Kiki to sleep two weeks ago.  I miss her so much.  She got sick so quickly and before we knew it we had to let her go.  I did not want her to suffer.  I cry so much and my heart is broken so I know how you feel.  The pain is unbearable.  This support group is wonderful because everyone understands how you feel.  Cry, scream, mourn...do what you need to do.  I look at Kiki's photos and I try to remember all the wonderful memories.  She brought me so much joy.  She was a wonderful kitty cat - unconditional love is what she gave me and I will forever miss her.  Stay strong ... but it is ok to be emotional and sad.  Goodness knows I go through so many emotions.  Everyone is here for you.

Reply with quote  #10 
Putting our fur babies down is one of the hardest things we have to do. But they only have us to let them go when it is time. They don't deserve to suffer. Such precious ones. It is a very peaceful experience. Although we were in shock. When I got to the vet I screamed I can't do this. My husband took him back. I got to hold him before I put him in his bed. He cuddled up and was at peace. We stroked him and then he was gone. We had regrets of what we had to do, but we knew it was the right thing to do. We love and miss you Christopher. I am so very sorry for your loss of your baby. It so hard. We all know what you are going through. 😥
Motherofcats

Reply with quote  #11 
I am very sorry also for all of you who had to go through this:( my baby had FIP, which it's the most wicked disease in my opinion...the doctors weren't sure at first, but they had confirmed and so, it's been a couple of weeks since we lost him to this. Me and my boyfriend felt guilty, we thought it was our fault, but it seems he had already the virus when we brought him home. And now ,we are afraid of bringing a new baby into our life, because we don't want to lose it to FIP again...I never knew of this disease till then, but I hope a new treatment will be developed, so no one will need to go through this ever again. At least my boy,Freddy, had a nice life.He was spoiled and I think he died happy, knowing he was loved.
Thank you everyone for your support, you are wonderful!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.