troutchaser
I lost my little buddy on my birthday in November.  Sammy and I were inseparable; he went with me to work every day for 12 years until I retired last year.  He was having trouble with his back legs six months ago and it got progressively worse up to the night before he passed, when he started having seizures.  I left him overnight with the emergency vet, but the next evening he wasn't any better so I made the decision I had been dreading.  I told him I loved him the entire time the vet was giving him the drugs, and I hope the last thing he heard was my voice.

I still can't even look at the old pictures of him yet, and am wondering how I can get past this mental block and would appreciate any advice anyone could give.  Thanks in advance.

Quote 0 0
Lauren03
Rest in peace Sammy , he sounds like such a good boy. Very loyal. I'm so sorry about his passing, but from the way it sounds, he lived a full and happy life with you. Although, its such a damn shame their "full happy life" doesnt last as long as ours, right? 
I dont know if you are Christian, but I am, and my friend told me the other day (my dog just passed a few days ago.. im struggling hard but being here on the forums are really helping) that our pets are just so precious and pure, that God had to take them back, because he missed them. when she said that, even when I had been crying for hours straight, I somehow felt comfort. 
The way you described him, Sammy was definitely WAY too precious for this Earth, God must have been missing him hard. Sammy is resting easy now, him, my dog Bennie, and all the other fur children up there. I hope that helps you with your mental block in someway. If you're not Christian, then it may not help but thats just the only way I know how. 
Much love,
Lauren
Quote 0 0
troutchaser
Thank you Lauren.  I really appreciate your kind words.  He had a very full and happy life of hiking, walking, and fishing.  He even located a hibernating bear den when I let him off the leash two years ago. 
I'm sorry about you losing Bennie.  What kind of dog was he?
And I am a Christian and believe that one day I'll see my parents and all of the animals that I have lost in my life.  My Mom loved Sammy and he would follow her around when I was gone.  I hope things get easier for you as time goes by.  I was getting better until I moved a box in my car and saw his monogrammed coat in there.  But I guess I will just have to enjoy those happy memories to keep a smile on my face and I hope your memories will get you through this tough time.
Quote 0 0
BerniesOwner
Hello, my miniature schnauzer mix, Bernie, who was a young, seemingly healthy dog passed away suddenly early Sunday morning, after a bad seizure. I am in shock, it doesn’t seem real. I loved Bernie so much. So, I can relate to your sense of loss and wish you all the best.
Quote 0 0
Lauren03
troutchaser wrote:
Thank you Lauren.  I really appreciate your kind words.  He had a very full and happy life of hiking, walking, and fishing.  He even located a hibernating bear den when I let him off the leash two years ago. 
I'm sorry about you losing Bennie.  What kind of dog was he?
And I am a Christian and believe that one day I'll see my parents and all of the animals that I have lost in my life.  My Mom loved Sammy and he would follow her around when I was gone.  I hope things get easier for you as time goes by.  I was getting better until I moved a box in my car and saw his monogrammed coat in there.  But I guess I will just have to enjoy those happy memories to keep a smile on my face and I hope your memories will get you through this tough time.

Bennie was a little Jack Russel Terrier/Chihuahua mix. He was such a sweet boy. Thanks for your kind words 😉 We will heal, Im not sure when, but we will. Until then, I wish you the best in your healing process. I am starting to get the point in my healing process when instead of seeing his things I feel sad, I start to feel gratitude. Slowly but surely, we will all get to that point.  (heres a pic of my pup Bennie, he was 12 in this pic but he lived to be 15)IMG_0412.jpg 
Lauren
Quote 0 0
DogMom86
I’m so sorry about the loss of your baby. I still have a hard time looking at Chihuahuas (Mija) and Goldens (London). We lost them three days apart and I couldn’t watch the dog show I unusually love because I knew I would see both breeds and just couldn’t do it. I understand how rough it is looking at old pictures. My advice is to take your time and grieve. Avoid triggers if you can.
Mija, Chihuahua: 2004-2019
16 years
London, Golden Retriever: 2005-2020
15 years

Mom to Misty, Sango, Tami, Abby, Kawaii and Pepita the Chihuahua

Quote 0 0
troutchaser
Thank you Lauren.  He looks like such a good little guy.  I would post a picture of Sammy but I always had my paralegal do that and now that I retired early, I do not know how to do so.

And my best to you BerniesOwner.  I left a post on your message.  Schnauzers are the best, but I think I'm done with having pets, much to the chagrin of my gf, who keeps pressing me to get another one.  I'll just continue to volunteer at the shelter and play with all of the dogs that don't get much love.

I'm sorry DogMom86 - that's a lot of grief for such a short period of time.  And it must be tough for you because there are so many Goldens and Chihuahuas at the park (or there were Sunday).  Hang in there and let's get through this together.

Hope y'all have a good day.
Quote 0 0