Forum
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
tmjgrady

Registered:
Posts: 12
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm new here - my dog Louie was diagnosed with MS related diseases in summer of 2017 - he responded well to treatment and he hung in there and gave us some extra time with him but we finally had to put him to rest a few days ago on Jan 3, 2019. I thought I was prepared - we spent as much time as possible together, laid with him, walked him even if just for 50 yards- I mentally prepared myself and even selfishly had thoughts (which I am ashamed of) that once Louie passes that I might get some sleep as I would not have to carry him outside in the middle of the night to pee and to take care of him in general - he would often keep me up at night due to heavy panting, etc..
But the physical act of laying with him for the final time, then picking his 65 pound body and carrying him to the car and then carrying from the car to the vet table to be put down has taken its toll on me - at the time, it seemed right, peaceful, good - but now I'm hurting BIG TIME and do not know how to cope. 
Louie was my best friend - over the years: he was there for me when I had stage 4 cancer; when I was laid up after a serious injury; through a divorce; through lonely times, etc...
Just the feeling of not giving him playful "noogies" on the top of his head any longer just kills me.
Thanks for listening to me babble on 

__________________
TGRADY
0
Adv2112

Registered:
Posts: 96
Reply with quote  #2 
Big hugs tmjgrady, I just lost my cat suddenly on Saturday morning. He got out and got a wound and it was apparently deeper than we thought. They tried to do surgery on him and he passed away under anesthesia.....we were just so shocked. We didn't know he had any health issues....so it was shocking to know he couldn't take the anesthesia but being injured and in pain , it was a strain on his heart:( i just hate the poor thing was so scared . Leo was only 6, close to turning 7. I feel you did the right thing it is just so hard.
0
PeanutGarcia

Registered:
Posts: 23
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjgrady
I'm new here - my dog Louie was diagnosed with MS related diseases in summer of 2017 - he responded well to treatment and he hung in there and gave us some extra time with him but we finally had to put him to rest a few days ago on Jan 3, 2019. I thought I was prepared - we spent as much time as possible together, laid with him, walked him even if just for 50 yards- I mentally prepared myself and even selfishly had thoughts (which I am ashamed of) that once Louie passes that I might get some sleep as I would not have to carry him outside in the middle of the night to pee and to take care of him in general - he would often keep me up at night due to heavy panting, etc..
But the physical act of laying with him for the final time, then picking his 65 pound body and carrying him to the car and then carrying from the car to the vet table to be put down has taken its toll on me - at the time, it seemed right, peaceful, good - but now I'm hurting BIG TIME and do not know how to cope. 
Louie was my best friend - over the years: he was there for me when I had stage 4 cancer; when I was laid up after a serious injury; through a divorce; through lonely times, etc...
Just the feeling of not giving him playful "noogies" on the top of his head any longer just kills me.
Thanks for listening to me babble on 


I know, man.. I know. My Peanut was my best friend too. My companion and my motivator. She made me a better person. When I was down and out, she was there. When I was unemployed, she loved me still. When I was sick, she was there... I know the pain. But be happy you had those last moments. You could slowly say good bye. You loved Louie.. and he loved you too. And nothing you can say now, no self-loathing or sadness can every take away the love and appreciation he had fo ryou, and the life you gave him. 
0
Tankie12

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,135
Reply with quote  #4 
I’m sorry Terrance, I really am. It really is impossible to prepare yourself for the loss you feel afterwards. It’s epic.
You’ve found a good place to come and if you find the tiniest bit of comfort by writing or reading others posts do it as much as you wish.
I saw you respond to someone else and you wondered if he knew how much you loved him, he did Terrance, never doubt that. They know so much more than we realize and they always know when they’re loved, take care,,,,,

__________________
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
0
tmjgrady

Registered:
Posts: 12
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutGarcia


I know, man.. I know. My Peanut was my best friend too. My companion and my motivator. She made me a better person. When I was down and out, she was there. When I was unemployed, she loved me still. When I was sick, she was there... I know the pain. But be happy you had those last moments. You could slowly say good bye. You loved Louie.. and he loved you too. And nothing you can say now, no self-loathing or sadness can every take away the love and appreciation he had fo ryou, and the life you gave him. 


Thank you I appreciate the kind words - I'm hurting and deeply sad but your words help

__________________
TGRADY
0
tmjgrady

Registered:
Posts: 12
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv2112
Big hugs tmjgrady, I just lost my cat suddenly on Saturday morning. He got out and got a wound and it was apparently deeper than we thought. They tried to do surgery on him and he passed away under anesthesia.....we were just so shocked. We didn't know he had any health issues....so it was shocking to know he couldn't take the anesthesia but being injured and in pain , it was a strain on his heart:( i just hate the poor thing was so scared . Leo was only 6, close to turning 7. I feel you did the right thing it is just so hard.

I'm sorry to hear about Leo and I hope you find comfort in the almost 7 years you had together - maybe Louie is chasing Leo around at the moment !

__________________
TGRADY
0
Adv2112

Registered:
Posts: 96
Reply with quote  #7 
I like to think he is playing with all of the rainbow bridge fur babies Ive had over the years! Maybe so huh!
0
tmjgrady

Registered:
Posts: 12
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankie12
I’m sorry Terrance, I really am. It really is impossible to prepare yourself for the loss you feel afterwards. It’s epic.
You’ve found a good place to come and if you find the tiniest bit of comfort by writing or reading others posts do it as much as you wish.
I saw you respond to someone else and you wondered if he knew how much you loved him, he did Terrance, never doubt that. They know so much more than we realize and they always know when they’re loved, take care,,,,,

Thanks Lynn - your kind words are much appreciated!

__________________
TGRADY
0
Lrogers424

Registered:
Posts: 165
Reply with quote  #9 
TMGrady,

I don't think we are ever really prepared to lose the unconditional love and companionship that we get from our beloved pets.  They are really more than pets, they are friends, family...everything.  Louie cared so deeply for you and you him and he relied on you to be his caretaker, even in his final moments.   Letting him go amidst his pain and suffering was a selfless act on your part and the final kindness you could show him.   When we said goodbye to our Daisy early this summer, I told my husband that I would take all the pain if I could spare her.  As a rescue, she did not deserve to endure any suffering, she had most likely go through enough in her very early life before she came to us.  I too was unprepared for the torrent of grief, but I was glad I was there for her in her final moments as she was there for me during the 9 years she graced our lives.   I wish you healing and peace.

__________________
Lori, Daisy's Mom and now Luna's Mom
0
pinkknight

Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #10 
Heartbreaking story......... I just lost my best dog friend........... hang in there Fred
__________________
fred belture
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.