Madzibob90
Hello,

I don't even know where to begin...on Monday my family and I went to visit family several hundred miles away, as we have done twice before while we had our much loved 2 year old cat, as usual we left him with his usual dish filled with plenty of food for monday, and with his automatic daily feeder set to begin on tuesday and plenty of water, he was an outdoor cat so he came and went as he pleased. We got home last night after 5 days and my precious baby was dead, there was vomit near where he was lying, and he had eaten all of tuesday's food and a small amount of wednesday's and then nothing, the feeder had worked as when we returned it was open on the correct day, so he didn't starve and it wasn't our fault which is of some comfort. All I can think of is that he has ingested something outside that has caused this. I'm assuming he's been dead since wednesday. My heart is so, so broken. It's hard to explain. The guilt I feel is incredible, if only we had been at home what mightwe have done in order to save him. I just don't know what to do. I couldn't wait to come home and see him, and now I'm never going to see him again, and all i can see is him lay there dead and i just have not stopped crying, it's overwhelming, I haven't been able to eat more than a few bites..he's never going to sleep at my feet on the bed ever again and i'm not coping at all.

please someone tell me it gets easier.
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Madzibob90:

  I want to extend my condolences on the loss of your cat. Sounds to me like he may have ingested something toxic outside as you mentioned he was an outdoor cat. Lots of things could have happened so you are not to blame. I know this is so hard for you right now as you try and make some sense of it all. I hope you will find some peace. Please come back to this Forum often and post to let us know how you're coping - when you feel up to it. 

Jim

  
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Sil
Madzibob90,

I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet cat.  Like, Jim said, "he may have ingested something toxic...".  I know, you are feeling guilty, because you were not home at that moment.  But, please know, that he knew/knows how much he is loved.  Life is so unpredictable and filled with unplanned events and painful incidents.  In time, we all adapt to this awful pain....it is not easy, but everyone here knows what you are going through, and how you are feeling - you are not alone. 
Quote 0 0
Madzibob90
Thank you so much, it helps to hear that. I'm just so sad as I had expected to have him for many years to come, and he was just 2. I keep thinking back to when I brought him home, he was 8 weeks old and tiny, and we had so many years to look forward to. It really is awful.
Quote 0 0