dan411 Show full post »
glderguy
What a touching story Dan.  I am so sorry for your loss.  Don't beat yourself up not taking her to the vet as things don't always work out well with them either.  We took our ailing little Bugsy to the vet on Friday.  He had been battling trachea syndrome for 6 months on all kinds of meds.  Recently they found his spleen enlarged and his poor little belly started enlarging greatly to the point he couldn't get comfortable.  Vet kept adjusting meds but in the end nothing worked.  On Friday xrays showed fluid in his chest cavity which they said they would drain.  Vet assured us all would be fine, sent us home, 45 minutes later our baby boy was dead and the worst part is he had to die alone at the vets.  After all is said and done Im not sure all the meds the vet gave him the past 6 mos did that much good and in the end instead of dying with us in our arms he died alone.  I very much wish Bugsy had died at home in our loving arms as your Bella did.  I feel soooooo guilty and ashamed.  You little dog was so fortunate to leave this world in the arms of those who loved her so much.
glderguy
Quote 0 0
dan411
Well,the more I look into this the more reports I'm finding.
I know one thing for a fact,the signs of your dog sick from eating Purina dog food is your dog will stop eating,Vomiting,Bleeding,dehydration and weakness.

In your case with your dog normally a lump happens over time not within a few days.Normally lumps are just fat.I have a 14 yr old male black lab that had breast cancer that I had removed.I never had his ballies cut off until I learned of this breast cancer he had.Now he has his ballies cut off/removed and now he's gaining weight and looking good .His hips are going out tho.I think I'll get another yr out of the old boy before he goes.I had him since he was a pup.He watched my kids grow up and now a grand child. Scobby is his name.He has been with us for a very long time.Loves going to the lake still.He can't see much anymore and his hearing is going out with bad hips to boot.But,all in all I will be with him till the end.

Anyway,I did report my issues.I hope a attorney contacts me soon.I have the bag and some samples from the bag and the dog Purina may have killed.If Purina is the reason for my dog's death.Purina will be answering to me and my baby Bella.We all must meet the ripper one day.
Dan
Quote 0 0
dan411
glderguy,
Your very lucky you didn't have to see your baby die.And your baby didn't want you to see him die.My wife was holding Bella when she made that load yell.That yell you will never forget the rest of your life.In a way,I am very sorry that you wasn't with him when he passed.

All in all it really doesn't make a difference if you was their with him or not.Nothing you could have done anyway.He knows how much you all loved him.

My Bella is gone and I'm still lifting up the blanket for her to tunnel under lol.My little Bella baby.

I posted a ad on craigslist seeking a 
chihuahua puppy.I got a email from a scammer trying to sell me a chihuahua puppy in TX for $250.The sad part is the photo the scammer sent me looked just like my Bella.
Dan
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Dan I am so sorry about what happened.
It's true what Andrea said. You gave Bella a great home environment, and lots of love and care.

It's true that onions are bad for dogs and we should avoid giving them foods cooked with onions, and they can be dangerous, but I had a Jack Russell once and though he mainly ate his regular dog food, my husband always gave him something after dinner from his plate. Most often it would have had some onion involved with the dinner, or garlic. That dog was fit and OK. He must have eaten food that had been cooked with onion many times (We didn't know about onions then) He lived to be 14.

But potatoes (either white potatoes or sweet potatoes) are NOT bad for dogs.

I learned more about what is toxic/not toxic for dogs when I lived with my sweet girl Misty. I spoke to the vet about other foods I could give her apart from her kibble, and he told me which vegetables were fine. I home-cooked her food to go with that. Potatoes are fine. So long as they are not green.

Your sweet Bella must have had some underlying illness. Yes, maybe it was her immune system, injured from her prior lifestyle. Or maybe she had kidney or liver failure or cancer....

My dog was happy, healthy, strong...but even she developed cancer.

But at least Bella knew what a loving home and family was....the cuddles in bed....the tasty snacks....being appreciated, loved, honoured, safe.

You could not have done better for her. That's my opinion anyway.

Blessings to you for your love. And blessings to Bella in Spirit now.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
AliceM
So sorry for your loss Dan411. I think its easy for us humans to want to take the blame when one our babies gets ill and passes. I am blaming myself for not realizing my baby was so ill. I am trying to not be so hard on myself because it is only adds to the stress and pain of the loss. Sounds like you were a wonderful dad to your baby.
Quote 0 0
Maxines_Nana
Hey, Dan, read through the posts. So sorry. We have 4 chihuahuas. I lost my favorite this past week. Trust me when I say there is nothing more you could have done. Precious little thing was blessed to have a home with you before she left the earth. Ours were rescues too. The onions really didn't have too much to do with it. So, don't blame yourself. Yes, they're bad for them, but I agree with poster who said it's an underlying issue. Our vet tech said there are so many cases that she thinks manufacturers of food products are at fault. Once their vital organs are damaged, it's hard. I am sorry and also reaching out to others in grief. I am so glad you gave her a good home and sorry that you had a greedy vet. God bless.
Sometimes you don't value a moment until it becomes a memory--Dr. Seuss
Quote 0 0
dan411
You are all the greatest and I thank you all for helping me through this without my Bella.My heart tells me it was the Purina dog food that killed her.Everything points to it.I have 3 other dogs.I stopped buying anything that states the word Purina.Stay away from any dog food that has corn or grain.Dogs are not cows or horses.I went to Walmart last night to buy dog food.About every dog food product Walmart sells is made by Purina.You would be better off feeding your dogs O-roy then feeding them Purina.I bought a dog food made by Mars called Pure Balance.Costed $40 bucks for a small 30 lb bag but has no corn or grains.The way these gog food companies are today we may as well make are own dog food.
Dan
Quote 0 0