Forum

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
nevaforever

Reply with quote  #1 
our dog isn't going to make it.  porcupine. the situation was traumatizing for me. she was only 3. i feel like I could have helped her more, but I didn't/couldn't.  We got lost, I couldn't get all the quills out, she was screaming. we were in the backcountry.  I wanted someone to tell me she was going to be okay. but she's not.  but I need help to at least get through the next 24 hours.  i know she had a good life, i know it.  but I can't tell her I'm sorry.  I'm so sorry.  she had so much life in front of her.   my husband is a wreck too and i'm here, reaching out. to someone. anyone.
ladybugsmom

Reply with quote  #2 
 I am so sorry about your furr baby.
Hugs to her and you.

Monday October 24th 1994 - Sunday May 23rd 2010

I light this candle for Lady Bug, Cassy and and ALL the babies that have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge.

Visit Lady Bug at http://www.immortalpets.com/Lady_Bug_Stalter/About.aspx

"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God."

Hugs to all
nevaforever

Reply with quote  #3 
she got quilled at 8:30 a.m. this morning. she went into shock, ran away.  found her again at 11:30 a.m. Vet at 12:30.  the quills went into her lungs and other extremities. i know it sounds horrible, and it was the most horrible thing ever.  I just want to immediately feel better. Will I feel better tomorrow. I feel like I am in shock.
damselfly1213

Reply with quote  #4 

I'm so sorry about what happened. The only thing I know to suggest when the pain and loss are this new is to take care of yourself - be sure to eat and get some rest. It may help to keep something of hers close to you - something you can hold onto so that you feel a part of her is still with you -do you have a toy she loved, her collar, a picture, anything like that? Keep it close and talk to her as if she were still there - tell her how sorry you feel, how much she meant to you, why you had to take the action you did. Some people may think that's odd, but it helped me. I felt that if she'd gone to a good afterlife, she would hear me.

donnalee

Reply with quote  #5 

You poor thing!  What a horrible thing for you and your baby to experience.  I can't even imagine the trauma of going through something like that.   My heart breaks for you and your husband and, of course, for your precious dog.  I don't quite know from your writing if your baby has passed or not at this time.  It would be understandable to be in shock.  The other writer who suggested that you must take good care of yourself at this time was certainly right.  Please know that everyone here understands how devestating it is to lose your baby. I'm sure your grief is even compounded by the shocking unexpected way this happened.  I wish  had words to make you feel better.  Thank goodness there are some people who come to this website who are very wise and really know how to comfort others.  I truly hope they can bring you some comfort.  I know they really helped me 6 weeks ago at the time of my loss and I hope and pray they will be able to do the same for you.  I truly extend my deepest regret for this traumatic experience you have been through.   I really wish life didn't have to be so cruel at times. Bless you and your family and your precious dog.  

nevaforever

Reply with quote  #6 
There has been a huge turn of events and i'm writing because you took the time to try and help me, reach out to me. I was checking every 30 minutes for a response, so thank you for helping and your kind words. I can't believe I can talk to strangers but having such a hard time talking to family/friends. I can't barely talk about it and writing still makes all my keys wet.

The emergency vet who said her chances were slim - she can't breathe on her own, lung damage, trachea, we have to say good-bye because surgery wouldn't make any promises (and cost $6,000) - called another denver hospital late late afternoon. Then last night we transported her to the new place and they gave us a glimmer of hope that maybe it wasn't her lungs but her esophagus.

The radiologist today says it IS her lungs and they can't tell if there is a quill still in there. They don't show up on xrays/ultrasounds. I just wish this was over. Then there is the money thing that we can't afford and how do people go through this when they can't afford it and making these decisions about their family dog. It's traumatizing, horrifying, soooooooo emotional, I'm just sick over it. The wait is killing me and I just want a miracle. It still doesn't look good. They could do exploratory surgery to find & fix but we can't do it. Right now they are giving her another 24 hours to see if she does improve without surgery. I have decide on whether to see her tonight or tomorrow (we have a 2 year old and 45 minutes away). It will be so traumatizing to see her :-(. I'm so sad.   I have another 24 hours to go through.
damselfly1213

Reply with quote  #7 
I'm going to post this here and in the medical care forum: There's a company called CareCredit http://www.carecredit.com/ that you can apply to for a line of credit for medical bills, including vet bills. I found out about it from a flyer at my vet's office. I think your vet has to be a participant in their network. You can either call your vet to find out, or, if you apply online, they have a look up feature to find participating doctors. It's on the up and up - I used it to pay part of my dog's bills. I took out a plan where I have 6 months to pay off the bill with no interest.

You may still decide that the cost is more than you can afford, but this is an option.  
nevaforever

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks. I am going to see her tonight at 7:30 p.m.
ladybugsmom

Reply with quote  #9 
Praying for some good news today from you about your baby.
please let us know how she is doing.
Many Hugs to you both

I light this candle for Lady Bug, Cassy and and ALL the babies that have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge.

Hugs to all
MagzMom

Reply with quote  #10 
Keeping good thoughts for you Neva.  You are amongst friends.  Keep strong.
donnalee

Reply with quote  #11 
This is truly a tragic event.  This story has been shocking to me!  I had no idea a porcupine could do that much damage.  To think you were just out for a walk and then this happened!  I really do feel so badly for you and I'm so sorry for your poor dog.  Regarding the decisions you need to make about surgery, etc.   Every situation is different so I certainly can't advise you and wouldn't even try to.   However, I will share with you that I spent about $5000 on my dog during the last 2 weeks of his life between the vet and 2 animal hospitals.  They couldn't find what was wrong and kept running more tests and doing more procedures.  I had to charge it to credit cards.  I didn't know what else to do..... I couldn't give up even though it was obvious something was seriously wrong.   It would have been worth it if it would have helped him but it didn't.   In the end, I regretted it---not because of the cost--- but because his last weeks were spent going through all those tests and being left at the hospital.   The last test on his spine paralyzed him.  I wish I would have stopped before the 2nd hospital.  I only tell you all this just to let you know that what I learned was that sometimes we have to know when to stop with medical procedures and when to let go.  Also, that even when you spend a lot of money, that is not a guarantee.....which it sounds like the vets are explaining that to you and they are being very honest about her chances.    As I said, I'm certainly not advising you.  ONLY you and your husband can make that decision for your precious dog.   Every situation is so different and this is certainly an unusual situation.   I also hope for a miracle as you do....that would be wonderful if she would get better without the surgery. 
You've got a lot on your plate right now especially since you also have a young child. Take care of yourself and your family.  My thoughts and prayers are certainly with you, your family, and your dog.    
nevaforever

Reply with quote  #12 
I saw Neva last night. I told her how sorry I was.  I couldn't say good-bye.   She wagged her tail laying down and licked my hand.  They found 2 more quills deep into her throat that they pulled out that they seemed hopeful about. They are monitoring her breathing, lungs, esophagus and trachea. They are worried that there are quills that could move and puncture her heart, lungs without surgery.  Her screaming is haunting me from the event. Why didn't I pull the quills out of her chest/throat/stomach first.  And I can't stop thinking about how she made it down the mountain by herself. That someone found her under a tree near the trailhead and carried her down to me.  I can't get it out of my mind. So many things. Things could have been so different if I wouldn't have gotten lost. I am so sorry Neva. I'm so sorry.  I just want you to be okay..

Pictures of Neva from last night:  http://bouldereast.org/neva.htm

ladybugsmom

Reply with quote  #13 
What a beautiful baby you have. I will keep her and you all in my prayers in hope of a full recovery.
Many hugs to you both

Hugs to all
nevaforever

Reply with quote  #14 
Neva is still breathing on her own. Not perfect, not 100% . They are still recommending the surgery and not sure she will make it on her own. They shaved her throat to see if they could find more holes/quills.  I just want everyone to know that this forum is what has helped me the most.  I spent hours reading other peoples posts and responds and it sure helps to know I am not alone and not crazy.
MagzMom

Reply with quote  #15 
still keepin good thoughts for you neva.  Stay strong.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.