Jess97
Hi, so it has taken me almost two months to write something about it and sorry if ramble a lot but my head is/was all over the place. So, on june 6th my three year old Husky, Mishka went to the vet to get spayed because she had an infection going on so her doctor said that was the best alternative. The surgery had supposedly gone well, we took her home and made all the necessary arrangements so she could be comfortable. On the second day post-op she started leaking some fluid from her wound so we called her doctor and he said it was normal and that he was gonna see her the next day. The next day we went to the vet and he checked her temperature and the wound and he said that everything was fine and there wasn’t anything to worry about and if anything else happened that we should call him.
That was a Saturday, on Monday she went for another checkup, the wound was still leaking, and a stitch had come off so the doctor fixed it and again he said nothing to worry about. On Tuesday the entire wound opened at about 6 pm and where I live there aren’t any animal hospitals that are open 24/7 so we contacted our vet and he said he wasn’t available and that we should go to some other doctor, so we found one, and he was amazing and he took her in, fixed her wound and made sure that everything inside was okay. Unfortunately, when he opened Mishka he told us that the surgery that was performed on her wasn’t a good one and that that doctor had left something inside her like a gauze or something like that so he cleaned her up the best he could and gave her some antibiotics. The next two days she was great, she was eating properly and the wound was fine. On Friday, June 15th I had to go to a class so I left and saw her one last time and she seemed great she even looked at me with a smile. So after I finished class I was waiting for someone to pick me up and my dad called me that he had to take Mishka to the vet because she had blood in her feces but that they had already been discharged and that’s when it all went horrible. As my dad went to put her in the car, blood came out of her and they rushed back inside. By that point there was nothing they could do, she was in a really bad shape, so the doctor gave her something to ease the pain and 10 minutes later she passed away. My dad called me to tell me and it was the most devastating thing to hear, I cried nonstop.
Everyday I feel so guilty because I didn’t pet her that morning cause I was in such a rush and when I arrived home she wasn’t there, I wish I could’ve seen her and hugged her one last time before she passed away. It’s been the worst days ever since she left and I just want to be with her every single day. I love her and miss her so so much.
Quote 0 0
msweet13
Dearest Jess - What a terrible thing to have happened!! I am so very sorry about the loss of your beautiful Mishka. She looks very much like my beloved Natasha who passed away years ago at the age of 5. I am really at a loss of what to say as your story is so very sad--I cannot believe that a vet would make that kind of mistake when doing a relatively routine procedure like spaying a female. Have you talked to the vet to get some answers as to why things happened the way they did? Maybe the infection she had prior to the spaying was more than an infection.  At this point however, I would imagine that her loss far outshadows any other issues and I am again so very very sorry. You have come to the right place to talk about your precious Mishka and to express all the feelings you are having. Everyone on this forum is going through something similar to what you are now going through and the first thing to remember is that you are not alone. Keep coming here and let us know how you are doing. Grief is a terrible foe because it seems to isolate us, making us feel alone and lost. But here, we have at least conquered that part of Grief in that you have a place to go to not be alone and will have many here helping you find your way out of the lost. I wish you warm hugs and blessings of comfort.
Denise (Brutus' Mom)
Brutus von Dolce
06/19/2006 - 03/16/2018
RIP my sweet beautiful boy
Quote 0 0
Sampson
Dear Jess, My deepest condolences on the loss of your beloved Mishka. It's so tragic when mistakes like this happen and hopefully you and your family can get to the bottom of what happened. However, you now are dealing with the terrible grief of losing your beautiful Mishka. I wish there was something I could say to take away the pain. I'm quite certain that Mishka knew how much you loved her, even if you didn't have time for a hug that morning. You would of course have no way of knowing what would happen. Dogs are so instinctual and she knew she was so loved and also your dad was with her. I hope you will post again and let us know how you are doing. It's so very painful to have to lose a beloved pet. Wishing you peace,
Sam
Quote 0 0
Jess97
msweet13 wrote:
Dearest Jess - What a terrible thing to have happened!! I am so very sorry about the loss of your beautiful Mishka. She looks very much like my beloved Natasha who passed away years ago at the age of 5. I am really at a loss of what to say as your story is so very sad--I cannot believe that a vet would make that kind of mistake when doing a relatively routine procedure like spaying a female. Have you talked to the vet to get some answers as to why things happened the way they did? Maybe the infection she had prior to the spaying was more than an infection.  At this point however, I would imagine that her loss far outshadows any other issues and I am again so very very sorry. You have come to the right place to talk about your precious Mishka and to express all the feelings you are having. Everyone on this forum is going through something similar to what you are now going through and the first thing to remember is that you are not alone. Keep coming here and let us know how you are doing. Grief is a terrible foe because it seems to isolate us, making us feel alone and lost. But here, we have at least conquered that part of Grief in that you have a place to go to not be alone and will have many here helping you find your way out of the lost. I wish you warm hugs and blessings of comfort.

Hi Denise, thanks for replying. I’m really sorry for your loss. As for the vet, we haven’t really spoken to him since it all went down, he kind of disappeared after things got complicated and never asked about her since then, I’ll try to look into it, though. This forum has helped me a lot since I discovered it, cause, like you said, everyone here is going through something similar. I feel a little bit better every day knowing that Mishka is in a better place without suffering and knowing that I have this support group whenever I feel down. I appreciate that you took some time to reply to this post, it’s helped a lot. Best wishes to you.

Jess

Quote 0 0
Jess97
Sampson wrote:
Dear Jess, My deepest condolences on the loss of your beloved Mishka. It's so tragic when mistakes like this happen and hopefully you and your family can get to the bottom of what happened. However, you now are dealing with the terrible grief of losing your beautiful Mishka. I wish there was something I could say to take away the pain. I'm quite certain that Mishka knew how much you loved her, even if you didn't have time for a hug that morning. You would of course have no way of knowing what would happen. Dogs are so instinctual and she knew she was so loved and also your dad was with her. I hope you will post again and let us know how you are doing. It's so very painful to have to lose a beloved pet. Wishing you peace,
Sam

Hi Sam, thanks so much for replying. It has been a rough two months since she passed, but at the same time I’m so glad she’s not suffering anymore, and I’m sure she’s somewhere playing and running around like she used to. The fact that this support group is here helps a lot with the grieving process and I feel a little bit better every day. Mishka was loved a lot by many people and we made sure to let her know constantly. Thanks so much for your words, I truly appreciate it. Best wishes.
Jess

Quote 0 0