garner2016
I lost my friend yesterday.  It was my fault he died.  I was not there for him.

The pain is so bad when you know the dog you love is lost because of your negligence.  

They say dogs forgive, but I feel unforgivable.  He was the best dog I new.  I will miss him so much.  
Quote 0 0
Monroegirl
I'm so very sorry for your loss. (((Hugs)))
Quote 0 0
Pecan_mom
I’m so sorry for your loss!  Please feel free to share more if you like and when you are ready.  Please be kind to yourself and allow yourself to grieve. 
Sp
Quote 0 0
garner2016
Thanks for the kindness.  

I wrote my dog a letter, asking him to forgive me.  This helped a little, but I just can not stop crying.  I feel so bad.  

Here is the story.  

I have a handicapped son who is 26.  He and I went to lunch Saturday, and my baby dog wanted to ride in the truck.  I normally only take him when we are alone, and he rides in the front seat in his dog car seat.  We rushed through drive thru and came back home to eat together, and I left my baby dog in the truck.  

By the time I remembered, it was too late.  He died in my arms.  I am so sad, and feel so guilty.  I need help to process this.  My family depends on me, and they have all forgiven me, but I can not seem to forgive myself.  

This dog is my best friend.  I spent 4 wonderful years with him.  I am trying to remember the good times, but it is hard with the flashbacks of him in my arms.  

I know dogs are so forgiving, and he would want me to forgive myself.  I just can't.  

Thanks for listening.  This is so hard to talk about.

Quote 0 0
Monroegirl
I'm so sorry for your tragic loss. You're right. He would forgive you and wouldn't want you to be sad. You made a mistake, like we all do throughout our lives. It's a painful one, but give yourself grace. Your family has given you that, and that is such a gift. (((Hugs)))
Quote 0 0
garner2016
thanks
Quote 0 0
Pecan_mom
Thank you so much for sharing.  You made a mistake.  We all do!  Please don’t punish yourself.  Your dog doesn’t want you to feel guilty. I believe our animals come to our lives when we need them the most and leave us with our best interest at heart even if we can’t see it right now.  They teach us so many lessons and sometimes the biggest lesson is through their death.  You have made a mistake.  We are all dealing with so much right now and unfortunately yours was a hard one.  Your dog has forgiven you and now you should forgive yourself.  Trust me he doesn’t want you to beat yourself up.  It will take time and you’ll go through waves of emotions.  Somedays are going to be easier and some days are going to be really hard.  We all deal with loss and grief differently.  Just remember we are all here for you and you can share your thoughts anytime.  Give yourself time to grief.  My beautiful perfect 9 year old Cockapoo passed away Unexpectedly just over 13 weeks ago.  She was happy and healthy all day wasn’t herself around 6:30pm and passed away at 4am as soon as we rushed her to emergency.  She was my soulmate, my best friend.... she was with me 24/7 and I just adored her.  She was treated like a princess and she knew how much we all loved her.  I could not get out of bed for 3 weeks and forced myself to get up for my family and my two teenage girls.  I felt and still feel guilty for her sudden and early passing.  I thought she would be with me for 7-10 more years.   She was my confidant my walking partner, how could she leave me so soon and unexpectedly.  She had sensitive ears and use to scoot sometimes but I kept her clean and dry so I thought she was ok and never thought she had any life threatening issues.  Even when I called the vet no one told me anything.  Now my best friend is gone and the house feels empty and I feel so lonely.  I miss her everyday and think about her 24/7.  I will never know what happened to her.  The vet said stroke, aneurysm or heart attack or cancer.  Which has nothing to do with her ear or scooting but I still feel guilty for not taking her to the vet to get her checked or taking her to the vet more often.  She was happy, healthy, eating and drinking walking for over an hour a day and running around in the house even going for 4 hour long hikes on the weekends so I thought she was healthy.  Maybe she’s trying to teach me sometimes life and it’s events are out of our control and we can’t always know and plan everything.  I’m a control freak and a planner.  She showed me sometime I just have to trust the universe and it’s purpose and don’t be so hard on myself and everyone around me.  I might sound crazy to everyone but that’s how I cope and can find some peace and hope.  As I’m writing to you I’m balling my eyes out for you, your sweet dog  and for my sweet Pecan.  I also believe that we all go when it’s our time to go and the same rule applies to our pets.  I have started meditating and writing to Pecan everyday and I find both super helpful.  Just wanted to share.  I’m praying for you and sending you love and light.  Take care of yourself.  
Sp
Quote 2 0
garner2016

Thanks for this post.   I appreciate it.   

Sorry for you loss.   

Paul

Quote 0 0
garner2016

We plan on having a memorial service to honor our dogs life next Wednesday as a family    

My thoughts are of him moving on to another person or family who will love and cherish him.   His spirit will live on.  He is so kind, loyal, loving, affectionate and full of life there is no way to hold that down.  He will continue to be shared and live on.   

Pets (dogs in my case) make us better people    Tragedy and death shows us how much we should cherish life and love others like a pet does   No judgement    No bias.  Unearned forgiveness.    Just love others like your pet loves you...unconditionally.   

Thanks for this site and others kindness   Love to you all  

Paul

Quote 1 0