xxcesarxx
I am devastated, my baby Hercules is no longer with me. I miss him.

Hercules had epilepsy, his first seizure @ 2 yrs old. He did well with medicine for 3 months, then seizures came back, once a month then twice a month then 2 in a row and eventually cluster seizures 3 a day. We upped the medicine several times and added more, potassium bromide was supposed to help him but it made him real sick so we stopped the medicine, he was refractory to medicine which means the medicine was not working for him. I loved him more than anything in the world he was my angel ( still is) my baby, my everything. But here is where my story gets painful. My 75 year old mother moved in with me after she got sick, she was home alone all day so I decided to get her a dog for company and she agreed, little did I know this little fella was going to turn my world upside down in a good way, we were vey happy the 3 of us, he made us smile eveyday, but every time he had a seizure my mother would call me at work, very upset , crying , scared to see our baby having a seizure, i would leave work everytime drive home, clean up his pee ( he peed all over and drool all over the floor) The last week he was alive he had 3 seizures a day for 3 days in a row my poor mother cried each time, the first day I got home my fragile mother was sitting next to him crying with her hands all sweaty, scared and nervous, the last second day he clustered i took him to the er and they gave him some medicine, the third day i got extremely scared and took him to his neurologist, she told me the medicine was not working and seizures were getting worse. When i got home all I could think of was my mother and how her life become while taking care of an epileptic dog, thats when I made the decicion, I couldn't take it anymore seeing my mom go throught it, the vet said he was only getting worse, my cousins dog died of a seizure and I few pple dogs I know were put down as well, I felt like it was going to happen to my dog eventually. I would've fought for him until the end, but it wasn't me fighting the battle it was my old fragile mother, she was on medicine for high blood pressure, what if her heart couldn't take watching hercules going through this dramatic seizures? If she died i woulve blamed myself for the rest of my life. People talk about quality of life of the dogs but in this case the quality of my mother's life was very poor and my vet said the dogs health was getting worse. I blame myself every day, and I know that eventually my baby was going to die. Several people have told me I made the right decicion but that doesn't change the fact that I feel like I died the day hercules died. It is very painful to me . Im sure that there are other people out there that are in the same situation im in. I strongly believe that I will see hercules again. I will pray everyday that I do. Let me make one thing clear and I believe this with all of my heart, dogs are beautiful beings full of light and porpuse, dog sent Hercules to me for a reason, I strongly believe that he is not dead, he is in heaven waiting for us, pain free , happy running around. Death is not the end only the beginning, I will join my baby on the other side and we will be together again for all eternity. God bless you all!!
Quote 0 0
RileysMom
I am sorry for all that you three have been through. Seizures can be very difficult to see and to manage. Then there’s all the side effects from medications too. I’m sorry it had to come to this. I understand the difficulties. My heart goes out to you.
Val
—Loving Riley, Rosy & Axl always 🐾

Quote 0 0
ScoutsMom
My sweet baby started having seizures at the age of 2... she had cluster seizures.... so I Do know how really hard they are to watch and to manage. I have actually known many people in my lifetime who have had epilepsy... sorta weird that way... prepared me for Scout's seizures.
I'm so sorry you had to go through this pain and have such a difficult outcome.
Quote 0 0
xxcesarxx
The medicine made him extremely hungry, it made me very sad to see him beg foor food. Thank you all for your kind words.
Quote 0 0