Forum

Author   Comment  
Phxkat

Reply with quote  #1 
Two days ago I lost my feline companion to kidney failure. Making the decision to help him over to the Other Side hurt so much but I knew it had to be done. His name was Miso and he was the second of two cats I brought home 18 years ago. They were already a year old at the time. Arlo, his brother, passed a year and a half ago of cancer. Although I loved them both, Miso, was my baby. I know cats tend to be independent for the most part but Miso needed all the attention he could get. He followed me everywhere I went in my house. I called him my shadow. The pain I feel from his passing has been indescribable. I feel so numb. I’ve told myself I would never have another pet because I cannot go through this again. I guess it’s a common reaction. I know that I’m not alone in the pain from losing a furry family member. May God, the Universe or however you may call it bless everyone who grieves over their loss. Time heals.

Reply with quote  #2 
Dear Phxkat,

I am so sorry for your loss of your beloved Miso. Please know that you are not alone. 19 years is an incredible run, but it is never long enough with our beloved's.

I too had to put down my cat recently. His name was Marmalade (his 1st Vet believed he was around 13 years old, his last Vet thought perhaps he was older) and he too was "my shadow" much of the time. He and I lived in a 60 ft. long warehouse together. I would be working in the shop area at the rear, moving something large, like a pole or a pipe, and Marmalade was right there as if he was my son watching what I was doing. I would be worried about him getting hurt, so once I very slowly lowered a 15 ft. pole down towards him as if to show him it's size, from where I was standing about 20 ft. away and to try and warn him to "PLEASE BACK OFF!" And he walked right up to the end of the pole as if I was just showing it to him, and slowly, gently and inquisitively proceeded to smell the end of it. Lol. Such a character was he. He could make me laugh & laugh. 

Yes, many of us here feel the same way. We are "numb", and the pain we feel is "indescribable."

The last time I put down a pet was 20 years ago, with my ex's and my cat: "Dusty Cat." She was 18 years old. She had kidney failure. We tried chemo at a cost of $4,000.00 and it didn't work. We learned a lot from that experience dealing with Vet's. I swore I would never have another pet again after that experience the grief and loss was so terrible as we loved her so. I kept that promise to myself for around 20 years...until "Dat Ole' Marmalade" crossed my path in the high desert of New Mexico and completely stole my heart. Sneaky Tiger-Man!

I hope you stay in touch and continue to post stories about Miso and your special relationship with him. It sounds like he was your "Spirit Animal."

Take care, be gentle with yourself, and continue to travel through time. Your healing factor is your birthright.

pannklaus

Reply with quote  #3 
I am very sorry for your loss of Miso and the pain that went with having to help him to the other side.  You are now experiencing the typical miserable grief that occurs after a loss--the numbness, the intense loss from not having him with you, the desire not to get another pet so you won't have to go through this again.  You seem to be aware that these are common reactions, but if  doesn't help any to make the pain go away.  There is nothing any of us can do to achieve that.  But you are with people who understand what you are going through and will be with you during the grieving process.  Again my condolences on the loss of your beloved Miso.

Reply with quote  #4 
So sorry in the loss of your beloved Miso ... I know your pain and share that indescribable hurt and sadness.

My heart is broken into a million pieces ... my Rocky cat passed away suddenly very early Thursday morning (6/13/19). I am devastated and my heart hurts so bad. He was my love cat ... my Rock ... always by me ... it was just me and him together. I love him so much and miss him terribly. He would have been 13 in August and I've had him since I got him at the shelter when he 5 months old. I am in shock and disbelief that my Rocky is not here. I miss him so very much!!!

Reply with quote  #5 
Dear Phxkat,

I’m so sorry to hear about Miso. He sounds like such a wonderful kitty and companion to you. We just lost our almost 10 year old best friend to kidney failure on Thursday. We too had to make the decision to help him cross over to the Rainbow Bridge. It was the worst decision I ever had to make but I knew I couldn’t put our Bubby through anymore given the grim prognosis. Like Miso, Bubby was our shadow. Always with us, always giving us the most endless amount of love and accepting all the love he could get. I’ve never met a kitty like that before.

I somehow think that there are these special kitties in the world and like you they have set the standards high. We are lucky enough to still have his sister/littermate with us and she loves to give love as well. She is more independent though and does like things on her terms.

This grieving process is beyond devestating to the point like many have said its indescribable. I don’t know really how to function as I’m sure you know these kitties are very very special and have bright lights. Days feel long, sleep doesn’t happen and the tears are nonstop. I hope that one day I am able to look back at the happy memories rather then feel overwhelmed with pain, guilt, sadness and complete emptiness.

I have found there are so many caring people here who want to help, will listen, and are just there for your difficult time.

I hope your pain too lessens in time and the great memories come back. Our grief is so much because we love so hard and these little souls love unconditionally.

Make sure to take time to take care of yourself during this difficult time and know you did the hardest, most selfless thing possible of not having Miso suffer any longer.

Bubby's (Milo) Mommy - Always & Forever My Little Man 💜

Phxkat

Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you all for the kind replies. It means so much to me to know I am with kind and caring people who truly understand me. I share your pain and I know that we will heal. We sure won’t forget them. Miso and Arlo were heaven sent and gave me the best years of my life. Thank you all!

Attached Images
jpeg E3239E7F-7F2A-4E3B-A7A5-6018C9337C08.jpeg (297.22 KB, 3 views)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.